• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

What uses more memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Units obviously are more memory intensive than destructables.

And no, there are no values you can change to make a unit use less memory. The only thing you could do to make a unit use more memory is give him a shitload of abilities, upgrades and stuff. Even that wouldn't really have a large influence.

Why are you bothering about this stuff in the first place?

Level 22
Units take more memory than destructables, as Eleandor said, and destructables take more memory than special effects. And the only way to reduce the amount of memory the unit takes is to use a model with less polygons and such.

Level 19
Units obviously are more memory intensive than destructables.

And no, there are no values you can change to make a unit use less memory. The only thing you could do to make a unit use more memory is give him a shitload of abilities, upgrades and stuff. Even that wouldn't really have a large influence.

Why are you bothering about this stuff in the first place?

I'm using units for environmental purposes, but I am considering to replace them with destructables as it turns out that would use less memory.

Level 29
And the only way to reduce the amount of memory the unit takes is to use a model with less polygons and such.

That doesn't actually work.
A game loads meshes only once. Things that use those meshes generally have a variable, which points to what mesh they use. Therefore, polygon count only has to do with your graphic card, not with memory.

Level 6
The unit object itself takes up more physical memory than a destructible as it has a lot more variables within itself.

If you are looking to reduce map size, I'd suggest you take some pre-existing destructibles and give them a different model as opposed to creating a new unit for each different type of scenery.

If you are having lag issues, its not because of memory size, but due to memory leaks in your triggers.

Level 11
I don't think you have to worry about that unless you use a lot of destructibles. Warcraft is a very old game, and its requirements match older computers...

Status
Not open for further replies.