1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

What makes a good Video Game?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DragonElement, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Sopho

Sopho

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just to let you people know, if a game has a World Editor like WC3, you can make many games from puzzles to actions and RPGs. That way, people can enjoy themselves from other people's produced maps and make more in the future.

So, WC3 may seem like a Strategy game, but thanks to its WE, you can make TDs - never before, RPGs - never before all thanks to WE and play them with WC3 as a custom map.

I think a game people would like, in WC3 would be something like Pyramid escape, as it has many challenging mini games people will like.

2. Formula1

Formula1

Resources:
    Resources:
    YOu could also do that stuff with Starcraft, and it was alot simpler but not as good looking

3. DragonElement

DragonElement

Resources:
    Resources:
    No, I'm going to use my own engine, but a WE sounds like a fun project. Also, the "command your own army" thing won't be able to play in. See, the main character has had everything someone can possibly posses taken away from him (ex. Family, Kingdom, emotions, *cough*Mortality*cough*) and so his own army is really being used against him. Which is also why there will be a vengeance meter. Won't give away much on that though.

As for the apocalyptal stuff. You don't really learn of what the character has to do with Heaven and Hell untill end. I'm going to keep the religious references to a complete bare-bones to not turn a perfectly good game into a religious topic. Also, the fallen angel... I haven't decided if you'll know if he's an angel or not untill later on. He'll kinda have Cloud's "keep-to-himselfness" so you won't know much about him; just that something was promised to him and that is why he is evil. So he may or may not have wings. If I do give him wings I will defenatly take into consideration Formula1's suggestion.

Before any more suggestions note that the main character will be on his own the whole game. Not command any armies. Can pick up items. Interacte with the enviroment (Throw spear, climb vines, water burns). Have very few spells. Accesorize armor and weapons. More on this later

4. Daveman

Daveman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i make a good game :D

@kerrigan-u said realisum makes a good game? this coming from a girl who plays AVP and D2....

5. Sopho

Sopho

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Honestly, to some people it may be, but some may not find it intersting or " good " at all. So that is why, mappers should create a few maps, each one a different genre.