• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What makes a good Video Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Alright. Yet another question from the desk of the slave of the computer world, a.k.a. DragonElement. Well you can see from my sig that my campain is off. The idea isn't though. I've looked through how long this will take, who I need to hire, asked just about every software studio I can think of (Blizzard, Id, Activision, Bungie, EA, etc.) for help, but now I need feedback from my o-so-helpful ( :roll: ) community. In short, what makes a good 3rd person mideval RPG? Make note that spells will be limited since I think they have been way overdone in the past years. Also, this project will take most of my high school career, so don't expect anything but a trailer any time soon (if that). As I ask every time, feedback please.

Level 1
Keeps the player from being bored. Example-you know those games that you just do the same stuff over and over.
Have different things happening constantly

Level 7
Storyline and Versetality - you want optional quests, developing personality and variating options to progress - don't ever let it become a hack-n-slash

easy experience and difficult quests, that is the key

the exact opposite of this would be FFXI (my fav example of a flopped rpg) - questing is a walk in the park, while experience - boy, you need a full party of 7 to get 250 exp per 10 min :S

Level 21
In my opinion, the following things make up a good video game.

- Graphics
- Storyline
- Gameplay
- Music & Sound
- Game Duration
- Stability
- Difficulty
- Features
- Price & Value

Mark these words, I don't just go out to find a good game, but a worthwhile game, Wc3 is an example, I love it.

Level 5
Lots of people rate graphics last. but in my opinion they come first. I dont like playing as a stickman. But in some cases, like some of the old SNES games Bof, Bof2, Chrono Trigger, Illusion Of Gaia Graphics dont really matter because the story line/controls characters all that stuff is extremly good. so it really matters what type of game...

Level 13
-realistic
-high replay value
-different aspects/characters you can play
-blood (lots of blood)
-multiplayer ability
-volintary jumping (jump around!)

those are my standards for a good game

Level 5
Those all sound good. I'm finding modeling and animating isn't as hard as everyone says so graphics won't be too hard of a problem. I think that storyline, emotion, music, graphics, gameplay, and color are the most important respectively.

@Kerrigan: Blood is absolutly...not a problem, he he *giggle*- and you'll know why soon enough *giggle*

Also I think it is important to grow attatched to not only the main character(s) but also the baddie's and feel their pain as well. I really want the character to get to know the world around him/her and the people in it. What do you guys think?

Level 13
dragonelement - please use english because i have no idea what that meant. :? of course its not a problem. tastes damn good too :D

Level 16
Good easy-to-play tutorial, and difficulty increases after you understand and get the work of it. Is realistic, and not crap. i.e. Mario Golf has a 10-meter shot scaled at 100 yards.

Needs equipment, clear objectives, challenging and fun bosses, and is adequately lighted i.e. Star Wars Jedi Outcast II-- The beginning level is so friggin dark you have a 30% chance to walk off the cliff and a 25% chance to get shot to death by a guard before you actually find out where the hell he is

Level 25
Three things make a good game

Storyline
Gameplay
NO FREAKEN FANSERVICE FEMALES ALL OVER THE PLACE

Get a good storyline and gameplay, and you're set. If its medieval, make it realistic. AND FOR GOD SAKES, YOU DON'T NEED EXCESIVE VIOLENCE FOR A GOOD GAME. A stress reliever, yes, but not a game.

Level 7
DragonElement said:
Also I think it is important to grow attatched to not only the main character(s) but also the baddie's and feel their pain as well. I really want the character to get to know the world around him/her and the people in it. What do you guys think?

yo, you should try to play one of the FF single player games to learn for yourself - they allways makes an interesting an cathing game, mainly because of the storyline - take VIII as an example - 5 ppl is studying at this millitary school - those are at the beginning the 5 main char. Then some stuff happens, and it appears one of them dies - but no, he has become the other fours enemy - along the way, the remnant 4 meets 2 new ppl - one of the new ppl explains some things around the use of GF which is an item/abillity summon thing - the GF is apparently stored in the ppls memory, for easy summon, but the result is, that ppl forget. So this new guy makes them all realize, except 1, the heroine, that they knew each other as kids - as with the one that is new thier enemy - furthermore, the one that turned the fallen one, was a sorceress, and they had fought her allready, but now discovers that she was once thier nanny, when they all lived in an orphanage.

and the story goes on with this kindda stuff, with no loose ends, which is why the game is so interesting, and so many played it - offcourse, the ones who played FFVII also had to get a new game, or shall I say, a new story

so, yeah! definetly do some serious background history of all main characters, good or evil. Optional, you could have cities and kingdoms and even forests have thier own history and trademarks as well :)

Level 5
Well, you'll understand the blood thing when I make the trailer for it. As of growing attached to the characters, I think you will grow attached to all but one (and he ain't the main baddie). Umm... let's see... no comic releaf since I want it to be as real as possible. Spells may not even exist, but the game will involve Hell so maby there needs to be a few spells.

Also, I thought of a dodging system that would be helpfull and easy. If you hold down the (ex.) "D" button and move the mouse in the desired direction, the main character will dodge in that direction. I don't know if that's been used but I kinda thought of it in my sleep.

As for colors and feel. Think Tim Burton, Alferad Hitchcock, the movies Gladiator and LotR all in one. Lot's of red, black, gold, silver, white, and green. Mostly the first two, but not to the point where you can't see a thing that is happening.

Lastly, for a Fallen Angel. Wings or no wings? ...and don't even suggest one wing.

Level 13
wow you guys are really going off the deep end with this. the topic is entirly opinionated, so its what you think is good.

calm down
*gives people shoulder massages*

Level 5
We are?... oh... we are. Ok, back to what I asked in the first place. Any more feedback on this one?

LATE EDIT: @Sopho: Ya, which is too bad. I really wish I could make a game everyone would enjoy, which is also why I needed everyone's opinion. Well spoken Sopho.

Level 12
Medieval hm......
Fallen angel should have wings, make them charred
The dodging system sounds very nice, Very hands on

You will definatly need a good story line to incorperate any apocalyptal references
Religion is hard to incorperate into video games without obsessive or rediculous

I hope this is a very hands on approach to fighting where you must Use special sword techniques, archery or what ever you're doing.

I would like to see the capability to control a small army or gain the upperhand at any second through something like adrenaline or something

Level 21
Just to let you people know, if a game has a World Editor like WC3, you can make many games from puzzles to actions and RPGs. That way, people can enjoy themselves from other people's produced maps and make more in the future.

So, WC3 may seem like a Strategy game, but thanks to its WE, you can make TDs - never before, RPGs - never before all thanks to WE and play them with WC3 as a custom map.

I think a game people would like, in WC3 would be something like Pyramid escape, as it has many challenging mini games people will like.

Level 5
No, I'm going to use my own engine, but a WE sounds like a fun project. Also, the "command your own army" thing won't be able to play in. See, the main character has had everything someone can possibly posses taken away from him (ex. Family, Kingdom, emotions, *cough*Mortality*cough*) and so his own army is really being used against him. Which is also why there will be a vengeance meter. Won't give away much on that though.

As for the apocalyptal stuff. You don't really learn of what the character has to do with Heaven and Hell untill end. I'm going to keep the religious references to a complete bare-bones to not turn a perfectly good game into a religious topic. Also, the fallen angel... I haven't decided if you'll know if he's an angel or not untill later on. He'll kinda have Cloud's "keep-to-himselfness" so you won't know much about him; just that something was promised to him and that is why he is evil. So he may or may not have wings. If I do give him wings I will defenatly take into consideration Formula1's suggestion.

Before any more suggestions note that the main character will be on his own the whole game. Not command any armies. Can pick up items. Interacte with the enviroment (Throw spear, climb vines, water burns). Have very few spells. Accesorize armor and weapons. More on this later

Status
Not open for further replies.