• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I'm confused as fuck, what should I major in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
I do feel sort of corny posting this on a Warcraft 3 Modding forum, but I feel like I at the very least have some connection with the community here.

So I'm heading in to my last year of High School this year, 12th grade. That's all fine and dandy, except I've got not the slightest fucking clue what I'm going to be doing in the future, namely what career interests me, or what I'd major in. I have fairly high grades (Straight As on practically every subject, although I do sometimes get mixed results in Calculus/Trigonometry/Statistics [The Mathematics]). I must have thought it over a thousand times in my head, but I can't really put my head around a specific career path.

I'm confused, but I do have a small sense of where I'm at. While I'm good at them, I'm not very enthusiastic about Sciences. I would've considered Bio Engineering or something because of my grades, but it doesn't appeal to me. I'm sort of into Politics, and based on my own experience (And the opinions of others) I'm a well versed and confident public speaker. I'm social, the thought of working at a desk job for 7 hours a day terrifies me.

I don't really know what I "enjoy" which seems to be the standard answer to my question when approaching others for an opinion. I sort of like writing and story telling, being a roleplayer, but I'm not really sure if that's going to lead me any where.

God, I feel so stupid for posting this here. But heck what ever, anyone got any advice? I'm not looking for a straight answer, don't take it the wrong way. It's not like I'm expecting someone here to pick a major for me. Just um.. give me a general sense of something that might appeal to me while still possibly leading to a career in the future.

So like, any insight?

Level 35
Take up whatever is needed for law and get into a law school. Then you'll have four years to waste and think about whatever diploma you really want to have. Getting into most universities while having a law diploma will be a lot easier, but you can't really get a good working place unless you're that really fucking good. I'll probably use the same strategy with getting into military officer school.

Level 14
Ready for a completely bullshit answer? Go into University as Undecided and just do General Education requirements while you think some more.

You don't really need to get a "real" degree to do whatever it is that you want to do.
i.e. If you like story telling and crap like that then get a completely useless degree like English, Creative Writing, or Professional Writing.

For Graduate School (which is all but required nowadays, in the U.S. at least) it's not entirely implausible for your undergraduate degree to have absolutely nothing to do with your Masters.

At the very least don't be like me: Go into University as a certain major then at the end of your Sophomore year realize that you fucking hate that major and want to switch, but have no idea what to do outside of that major.

Level 17
Ready for a completely bullshit answer? Go into University as Undecided and just do General Education requirements while you think some more.

You don't really need to get a "real" degree to do whatever it is that you want to do.
i.e. If you like story telling and crap like that then get a completely useless degree like English, Creative Writing, or Professional Writing.

For Graduate School (which is all but required nowadays, in the U.S. at least) it's not entirely implausible for your undergraduate degree to have absolutely nothing to do with your Masters.

At the very least don't be like me: Go into University as a certain major then at the end of your Sophomore year realize that you fucking hate that major and want to switch, but have no idea what to do outside of that major.

I'm not interested in being a writer. Despite the fact that I find it enjoyable, I don't see myself making a successful career out of it. I'd like to jump straight into a major rather than waste away Undecided, sounds sort of impulsive, sure, but still.

Thanks though, gave me some insight.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Theh, well if you're no good at maths, then go for something not maths. Like law or psychology.. I don't know. I mean, if you've got no clue in what field you want to work even, then I seriously can't help much. At least as a psychologist you interact with people I guess. If you're going for a major, and you don't want to sit on your ass all day, then there's a serious problem finding anything.

Level 15
Listen closely, tonight, at 2 am or so, go to your backyard/patio whatever, lie down on the ground, look up the stars, and you will have a clear mind to help you decide, works for me every time.

just do it.

p.s. don't go if it's cloudy, only when the stars are clear.

Level 17
Listen closely, tonight, at 2 am or so, go to your backyard/patio whatever, lie down on the ground, look up the stars, and you will have a clear mind to help you decide, works for me every time.

just do it.

p.s. don't go if it's cloudy, only when the stars are clear.

I live in Dubai. I don't have a backyard, unless you consider the gravel and rough dirt a backyard. And either way, the stars can't be seen from my house due to light pollution. Thanks for the thought though.

I've been looking into Bio Medical Engineering again (yeah yeah I know), although I'm also sort of swayed by Political Sciences.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Looking at stars clear up your mind? Never heard that one before.. though, I seldom see stars considering I live in a city and not on the countryside.

Level 27
I'm sort of into Politics, and based on my own experience (And the opinions of others) I'm a well versed and confident public speaker. I'm social, the thought of working at a desk job for 7 hours a day terrifies me.
[...]
I sort of like writing and story telling, being a roleplayer, but I'm not really sure if that's going to lead me any where.
Sounds like you want to go into politics. :p

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Actually, go look at exercises from former years, have a look in their books, see if you like it and think you could manage the study. Should give you some pointers.

Level 17
You live in Arab Emirates? o_O

Yeah, but I'm going to study in Canada.

Have you already looked at some universities? You should go find some and maybe ask to be taken around the departments you're interested in. I did that back when I couldn't decide between biology and computer science.
Ummm... that's sort of hard, seeing as I live thousands of miles away. But yes, I have looked at potential Universities. As a matter of fact I have a small list picked out (Several in Ontario) that I'll be applying to.

Sounds like you want to go into politics. :p
Actually, I'm going for Law school. I've done a lot of research on it and it all appeals to me. Yeah it'll be hard no doubt, but I'm confident I'll make it in.

Although, I am considering taking Political Sciences as a Pre-law study (I need a degree first, practically any degree will do.)

The only problem is something my dad pointed out, I should take into account the possibility that I don't get into Law school. What would I do with a Political Sciences degree? The career prospects aren't very encouraging.

While Political Sciences is my top choice right now, I'm still looking into other possible majors. (I'm going for Law, though. Now I just need to pick a good Pre-law major.)

I'll also be throwing an egg at PurplePoot if I end up in Waterloo.

Ummm... that's sort of hard, seeing as I live thousands of miles away. But yes, I have looked at potential Universities. As a matter of fact I have a small list picked out (Several in Ontario) that I'll be applying to.

You could also try finding other people who are in the fields you're interesting and asking them questions about. Try talking to friends/family to see if they know anyone.

Level 40
Maybe some courses in rhetoric and the like to top it off? They'd be useful for law (not sure whether the school would actually recognize them, but they would be handy on a personal level) among other things.

Also, from what I hear Western is a good choice for what you're in to. While from a ra-ra level I probably should suggest Waterloo, while it's a decent arts school arts certainly are not its specialty (although it's amazing for co-op, so if there even is such a thing as co-op in arts then that makes it a very good choice as you'll get plenty of (at least semi) relevant work experience and pay for your education).

Level 17
Maybe some courses in rhetoric and the like to top it off? They'd be useful for law (not sure whether the school would actually recognize them, but they would be handy on a personal level) among other things.

Also, from what I hear Western is a good choice for what you're in to. While from a ra-ra level I probably should suggest Waterloo, while it's a decent arts school arts certainly are not its specialty (although it's amazing for co-op, so if there even is such a thing as co-op in arts then that makes it a very good choice as you'll get plenty of (at least semi) relevant work experience and pay for your education).

I'll probably ending up applying to both in Waterloo. Political Sciences and Bio medical sciences or something else like that.

And for Toronto and Western Ontario I'd do the same, but I'd apply for Bio Medical Engineering instead of a Bio science. I'll see what I get accepted to and where, and then I'll take my pick from what's available.

I still need to check if they'll need SAT II Bio/Chem/Phys for the Bio majors (Since I didn't study at a Canadian school.)

I have the same problem. I wanted to join my country's airforce. But when I went to the HQ in July, and I received one of the worse notices of my life: The contingent is full, and they cant accept any more men.

But my case is worse than yours: High School is done for me. I finished the last grade last year, I am unemployed for 9 months, and I dont know what the fuck I'm gonna do in my life. Maybe I'll go to an university and try becoming an English teacher, but I'm not sure.

Dude, are you from America? If yes, why dont you Join the USMC? They are always needing new men for afghanistan, they are well paid, you are gonna know the whole world, etc.

Level 40
I'll probably ending up applying to both in Waterloo. Political Sciences and Bio medical sciences or something else like that.

And for Toronto and Western Ontario I'd do the same, but I'd apply for Bio Medical Engineering instead of a Bio science. I'll see what I get accepted to and where, and then I'll take my pick from what's available.

I still need to check if they'll need SAT II Bio/Chem/Phys for the Bio majors (Since I didn't study at a Canadian school.)
If I would suggest reversing it and thinking about doing an Engineering degree at UW or a pure science degree somewhere else--UW has an incredibly famous and well established engineering program (plus really good co-op for it), but much less so for pure science.

Level 17
If I would suggest reversing it and thinking about doing an Engineering degree at UW or a pure science degree somewhere else--UW has an incredibly famous and well established engineering program (plus really good co-op for it), but much less so for pure science.

I'd have no objection, but sadly Waterloo doesn't offer a program in Biomedical Engineering (As far as I know, it's only offered in UT and Western Ontario).

I'll be applying to all of them in those subjects, and then seeing what I get into. I'll pick out something from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.