• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What makes a good game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
So what makes a game good? Is it re-playability? Is it graphics? Is it immersion? Is it creativity?

Please share your ideas,

Level 6
It hugely depends on what type of game it is.
An RPG (straight-forward linear story-game) doesn't need to have as much replayability, because once you're done with it, you know what happens, there's no reason for you to go back and look at it again. Although some RPGs make you want to do that, it is in my opinion not what truly makes a good RPG. An RPG is like a book, some books are good, and you might want to read it again, but you don't have to re-read a book to say it's good.

Things like graphics add to if not all, then at least most games, but a good-looking game is no excuse for bad gameplay.

I have to admit I don't even know what immersion means. The online dictionary says it's like sinking completely into water so I'll guess it's if a game makes you feel you're a part of it. Anyone confirm what immersion is, I'll be happy and give cookie, and I'll also give my opinion on it.

Creativity in games is sometimes good, sometimes bad. Many games have new inventions, just for the sake of being first at something, which is often a half-assed and useless thing being added, instead of keeping to old, but good ideas. It is however good when it's something unique and inventive, that also adds to the quality of the gameplay in a good way.

All in all, it depends a lot on what type of game you are playing. Realistic shooters are maybe fun, but unrealistic ones are also fun, it all comes down to genre, taste and how good or bad everything has been done.
A game that stole everything it has from other games, can still be good if it's executed well.

Level 19
First : DEFINETLY sounds, you dont notice that its effective but its the most effective factor, I can even bet my life on it
Second: Gameplay, is it handy or not, you lose it because your skills are low or controls suck
Third: Getting improved (getting new weapons in new levels or new abilities or buying things etc)
Fourth: Bonuses and Secrets to kill monotonus
Fifth: Things you didnt expect to happen (like KotOR you learn you are Revan)

And I think noone is concerned about the story BEFORE game time-line
But ingame videos may impress players too

Level 15
Skill. I don't like MMORPG's or multiplayer RPG's because they lack skill. If your level 10 and your opponent is level 50, he will definitely beat you in a fight because of better stats/skills/items/etc. This is unrealistic, to say the least, but in my opinion, not fun.

A game also needs balance. If a game is imbalanced, everyone will pick a specific weapon or class or race or whatever, and players who don't like said weapon/class/race/etc. are automatically left out in the dirt.

Level 19
A RPG should be like diablo II
lots of enemies with low damage and low hp but many
Spells should be upgradable AND damage depending on an attribute
There should be never a better spell
I mean you should be use even your first level ability like in WoW
Spells should be simple and many (like Diablo II, WoW spells are weird...)

Anyway in ALL games what I seek is I want to feel that Ive hit the enemy, for example in some games you hit enemy and you see 3 red particles and no response or impact sound
Otherwise in a game like Diablo II or Fable, you really feel that youve made a hit

Level 37
A RPG should be like diablo II
lots of enemies with low damage and low hp but many
Spells should be upgradable AND damage depending on an attribute
There should be never a better spell
I mean you should be use even your first level ability like in WoW
Spells should be simple and many (like Diablo II, WoW spells are weird...)
Sacred 2 is just like this. It's pretty good game, I have been playing it a lot with a friend in LAN last 2 weeks.

Level 19
my graphics card doenst support it so it lags so I deleted it, and its hard and not much fun
engines do fail, gameplay is painful

Level 37
I have two pretty good computer and it doesn't lag that much. Expect in cities and some random crashes, but not a big deal. I think it's very easy and simple game. Gameplay is okay, because it's all the time owning. I mean, you just don't die and you kill thousand of different monsters. That's pretty funny, but the bosses are perhaps too easy.

I think the game is fine.

Level 4
Wow, its nice to see lots of friendly people on the Hive ^_^. Could you please keep the insults to a minimum, and the actual helpful comments to a maximum!

Status
Not open for further replies.