• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Old games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Is it true that old games are disrespected? I do not mean like atari or such primitive games. I mean those nice games from 90's. Or just because it is few years old it is not preferable. To me, old games were good. In my life, I mostly played the older games, not the newest stuff. I think that the future generations would not respect the good old games. A old game does not die, it just becomes less popular. I know people still play RuneScape with the graphics from 90's, I played it for 6 years. Did not mind the graphics. To make the game continously popular and not fail because of its oldness, does a game need to adapt itself to new times? I am against WarCraft 4, even if it had good graphics. I do not prefer uber graphics, I prefer those polished high quality graphics such as Counter Strike Source. Do you think games such as WarCraft 3 would become history in 22th century?

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Double-edged sword.

There's always a banter back and forth.

I think the only determinant here is that there shouldn't be a distinction. Hit me like a ton of bricks that apparently it's counter-intuitive to like games given only the release date and a social brand to be labeled under.

Level 17
Depends if old games age well or not, I can still go back and play NES games because they still are as fun as when I first started playing them - or that just might be me and my nostalgia.

Level 3
Is it true that old games are disrespected?

Yeah, I get the feeling that old games don't get the respect they deserve either. Very few of my friends can appreciate them. Usually any game that does not offer gratification in 5 minutes is shit to them. Which is ridiculous considering that most of the generation of that time found those games to be at least good. I need to get new friends.

I think the reason some people just can't appreciate them is because they need visual feedback to feel like they've accomplished something and old games don't really shine at this category, so they immediately feel like repulsing a game with poor graphics. Also old games tend to have clunky or outdated interface. I mean, I can really appreciate Warcraft 2, but it's a lot harder for me to enjoy Warcraft 1 for example. You can select a maximum of four units, you can't move by right clicking, you have to use the move command, if I recall correctly units don't even fight back unless you order them to, etc.

Also, I'd like to state the obvious. Graphics do not equal aesthetics. You can have a game engine that is incredibly powerful but the level design and general look of the game can still be poor despite all the wonderful anti-aliasing, anisotropy and whatnot.

Immersion depends on how well the gameplay blends with the storyline, visuals, soundtrack and sound effects. The engine plays a role, but not as big as you'd think. Despite its engine being old, I find Unreal to be visually scrumptious and pretty goddamn immersive with its incredible soundtrack. In regards to engines, it's not the size of the hammer that counts, it's how you use it.

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op-tys_98Ek
Soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YWfb3ti4V8

To make the game continously popular and not fail because of its oldness, does a game need to adapt itself to new times?

I often hear cries to remake games like Unreal, but I find them completely silly as the way the game looks is integral to the experience, the methods might be old and crude but the result is unique to Unreal. No remake would be faithful to the original, and no remake is necessary. We need sequels, improvements in gameplay, not engine upgrades. But yeah, games need to keep up with the trend or find their own niche in order to succeed. There are certain standards that must be met today, but some games (mainly indie) disregard them and still manage to be successful. There are exceptions to every rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.