1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

What is JASS?

Discussion in 'The Lab' started by Wardota2 Gamer, May 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Wardota2 Gamer

Wardota2 Gamer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I actually been thinking what is JASS anyways I understand that it is a coding but I really don't understand all of it so if kindly @IcemanBo can you tell me what is JASS all of it?

I actually have a lot to learn especially in coding and JASS

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2017
  2. Flux

Flux

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
  3. Wardota2 Gamer

Wardota2 Gamer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks I read it and I listen to it

4. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I think, too, that reading tutorials can help much. Or is there something specific you wanted know?

5. Wardota2 Gamer

Wardota2 Gamer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Maybe?

6. Marcos_M

Marcos_M

Resources:
    Resources:
    What is JASS? JASS is a scripting language for the WorldEdit
    I mean.. there is no much answer to the question "what is?"
    Is GUI, but, not friendly for the noobie, is really no superpower to the WorldEdit (except for the Memory library xD )

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  7. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    More like a scripting language.

8. A]mun

A]mun

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm currently trying to learn JASS, after years of GUI usage.
    It's giving me a hard time, mainly because i have to be very careful with syntax and finding the right function for the job.

Also: JASS - Wikipedia

9. Marcos_M

Marcos_M

Resources:
    Resources:
    Don't you use newgen or WEX?

10. Wardota2 Gamer

Wardota2 Gamer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No I dont use newgen nor WEX I just use the normal editor

11. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Coding JASS is hard in the normal editor. Syntax errors can make the editor crash, and the JASS editor is essentially a notepad.

I would suggest using WEX or JNGP and you will instantly see the improvements it makes to the JASS editor (with TESH).

12. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    JASS is the scripting language Blizzard invented for StarCraft 1. They kept the same scripting engine for Warcraft III and upgraded it into JASS2.

JASS is technically a programming language of sorts, however people usually call it a scripting language due to its high level nature. JASS scripts are compiled into JASS bytecode on map load which is then executed by a JASS virtual machine for improved execution speed. The language syntax seems to take ideas from BASIC, in that it uses keyword block terminators (eg endfunction, endif, endloop) rather than indentation (eg Python) or bracers (JAVA/C). JASS was not reused in StarCraft II, with Blizzard making a new C like language called Galaxy for its scripting purposes. The GUI of StarCraft I and Warcraft III compiles into JASS on map save.

JASS has a few major pitfalls. The language allows the declaration of only 1 globals block per script, making declaration of global variables cumbersome. Although the code is compiled to JASS bytecode, it still has to resolve every named element at execution time greatly limiting performance. The on load JASS compiler lacks optimization features resulting in extremely verbose and inefficient JASS bytecode. The JASS virtual machine lacks JIT compilation to native code also reducing performance. JASS lacks many basic operators that are often taken for granted in other programing languages such as all bitwise operators.

13. Nowow

Nowow

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What is JASS? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no GUI! sorry I had to...

back on topic though, if you want to learn JASS, I suggest one of these two tutorials (1,2) I found them to be more helpful then the rest.