• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What Does Reputation Mean To You?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
What exactly does it mean to you when you see someone with a lot of reputation, no reputation, average amount of reputation, and negative reputation? How does this change how you look at them? I'm not talking about someone you speak to frequently and are friends with, but I mean someone whom you've never met before or haven't had much of a chat with him/her in the past.

Honestly, when I see someone with negative rep, I don't expect much from them and tend to ignore their requests for help.

Those with average amount of reputation show me (In my eyes) that they have done good in the past, but are not truely great as they are not pushing themselves to become more respected.

People with no reputation kind of depends. If they have a small amount of posts (1-30) I usually think they're not very familiar with the rules and probably don't check the forums often. However, I am usually polite to these people to encourage them to return to the forums more often and to be active.

Those with a lot of reputation are people whom I believe are useful in some good way. Worth talking to most likely since connections can go a long way. People with lots of reputation usually get my respects easier than others.

~Craka_J

Level 5
nothing.
a user with 0 rep can be > as a user with 1000 rep...

so.
in truth alot of rep show only what that member is pop.
and now some examples...
Britney Spear
Paris Hiton
Tokio Hotel (OMG ! =O)
DotA // xD
Michael Jakson
Heidi Klum (lmao just 4 fun here)
David Beckhem
Some lulz from casting shows etc.
and many more

they all pop =)
so thought about it...

Level 40
What exactly does it mean to you when you see someone with
  • a lot of reputation
    Artist/Admin/Rep Partier (In most cases anyways, depends what you mean by a lot of reputation)
  • no reputation
    Someone who is relatively inactive/new on the site, since people tend to get random reputation over time.
  • average amount of reputation
    Not an Artist/Admin/Rep Partier/One of few others
  • and negative reputation?
    Depends what it was given for.

Honestly, when I see someone with negative rep, I don't expect much from them and tend to ignore their requests for help.
It all depends to me on what they've done (check the comments on their neg rep: are they a troll, the victim of a grumpy moderator, or just someone who double posted a few too many times?)

Those with average amount of reputation show me (In my eyes) that they have done good in the past, but are not truely great as they are not pushing themselves to become more respected.
If "pushing for more respect" implies openly asking for rep, then I'm inclined to agree with these users.

People with no reputation kind of depends. If they have a small amount of posts (1-30) I usually think they're not very familiar with the rules and probably don't check the forums often. However, I am usually polite to these people to encourage them to return to the forums more often and to be active.
Again, it depends on any reputation comments they might have. If they are just neutral, no problems, but if they are a troll who has also Rep Partied, or just had as much + as -, but is still not a good person (to you), then it's a whole different situation.

Those with a lot of reputation are people whom I believe are useful in some good way. Worth talking to most likely since connections can go a long way. People with lots of reputation usually get my respects easier than others.
They tend to be generally worth talking to, yes.

To sum this up,

How does this change how you look at them?
Not much.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
What exactly does it mean to you when you see someone with a lot of reputation, no reputation, average amount of reputation, and negative reputation? How does this change how you look at them? I'm not talking about someone you speak to frequently and are friends with, but I mean someone whom you've never met before or haven't had much of a chat with him/her in the past.
If the user has a lot of reputation, like 600 or something like that, then it's either someone who owns a model/picture gallery (or both) or an administrator.
If it's a gallery owner, then it's most likely someone who takes advantage of their skills just to gain huge amounts of reputation, thus someone dishonest (not the right word, but fairly close).
If it's an administrator, then it's no surprise either, people kiss the staff's ass so that they can be spared from punishment when breaking the rules.

People with average reputation and an average amount of posts show me that they are helpful to the community, something that has been undervalued ever since reputation came.
Back in wc3search there was no reputation system, people helped because they wanted. And I won't lie, they also helped in hope of gaining some respect around the community, and perhaps getting a moderator position, but all those reasons are more appropriate than for the sake of having rolling gems under your avatar.

Those people come around just to ask questions. They have no other purpose than to work on their maps. The majority never get to finish their maps, and if they do, something crappy is made.

Like I said earlier, I don't give any more respect to people with higher reputation, I even tend to dislike them (I tend to, I don't necessarily dislike them). People who own galleries can be arrogant and selfish.
We ask for help to start climbing the ladder, but if someone asks us for help climbing the ladder we won't help because we're already up there and we don't give a crap. It's the natural law of human behavior.

and now some examples...
Britney Spear
Paris Hiton
Tokio Hotel (OMG ! =O)
DotA // xD
Michael Jakson
David Beckhem
and many more

they all pop =)
so thought about it...
I don't know what you mean with "pop", but I can assure you that people like Britney Spears, Paris Hilton and Michael Jackson are, most of the times, known for the worst reasons.

Britney Spears has raised polemics lately because of her behavior. Paris Hilton is a silly immature girl: while we count our cents every month, this little girl gets pissed because she is getting only 3% or 4% of her grandfather's fortune, which is 100 millions of dollars or something similar.
With all that money we could make a difference in this crazy world, but the majority of the people with that money choose to be idiots.

As for David Beckham, he's a sex symbol, and he earned that title because he posed in the "pink maganizes" (I don't know if the american use a different expression, but this is a direct translation from the portuguese expression). Little respectful in my opinion, it's a form of prostitution in my eyes.

So, I've just given plenty of reasons why reputation should be removed I believe. It is an obscure motivation for new users. Until we come up with a better system, reputation should be taken down.

Level 25
Awesome response, Rui. +REP! :grin:

Probably should've mentioned that the amount of rep they got (Or don't have) also is first compared with their amount of posts to result in a true outlook on that person. Should reputation be removed? Yes and no. Some people strive to get reputation and will do just about anything helpful to get it. These people are usually annoying at the same time, but basically what I am trying to say is it motivates people to be more helpful. Others believe it is some useless thing, and usually end up with negative rep or not much at all.

As much as I'd like to say reputation does not affect many people's looks on others, in truth, it really does affect it. A lot. Some people ask and beg for reputation, even! In return, they are attacked by moderators and administrators, though, I suppose begging for such a dumb thing makes the person deserve the offense.

~Craka_J

Level 26
nothing.
a user with 0 rep can be > as a user with 1000 rep...
You can only hear that from a person with 0 rep. Why? Because that fact is pretty fucking obvious to anyone else, and only people who feel the utter need to defend themselves with this would bother stating it.
so.
and now some examples...
Britney Spear
Paris Hiton
Tokio Hotel (OMG ! =O)
DotA // xD
Michael Jakson
David Beckhem
and many more

they all pop =)
so thought about it...
Yeah, just jump on the bandwagon of hate. Way to be original.

I'm tired of idiots who just sit there with their thumbs up their asses and just say "LOL BRITNEY SPEARS IS A FREK N MJ TUCHES LIL KIDS"

Fuck that. Get your own damn vendetta.

And by the way, those aren't "examples". You said examples of how rep shows popularity, and then you listed a bunch of people you deem popular. YOU MADE NO POINT.

My view on rep is as such: Rep is an indicator of how active you are on the forums, how seldom you break the rules, how many resources you publicize, and how witty people find your words. The first one amplifies the other three, which are the reasons people rep others. I don't give a shit about spam rep.

Level 25
Toadcop isn't a zero rep person though. In fact, he has quite a decent amount of reputation sustained over at WC3Campaigns.net

However, it is true that his example was way off, incomparable, and if you don't mind me saying, a little big of both ignorance and arrogance. But this thread is not at all intended to start a firey chat, since they lead up to people who have too much time into preaching in an unorthodox manner to prove their point but in the end only making themselves, along with those who join the fire fight, dumber for wasting such an amount of time on virtually yelling.

Very good with calling reputation an 'indicator'. I agree with that for sure.

~Craka_J

Level 14
No rep and neg rep is what I most notice. If someone has no rep then they are likely new or inactive and I dont usually pay them much attention. If they have neg rep then... well how hard is it to not break the site rules? I mean below zero rep. If someone has neg rep now and again then thats no big deal. But if they have below zero then there is usually a good reason for it.

Level 26
I kinda feel awful for the people with neg rep somehow i think of it because someone neg repped him for no reason
Well, only mods can -rep, and if someone gets neg repped for no reason, they can always report it to the admin contact forum. If even they can't help the guy, well, that's too bad.

When I see a guy with red gems, I look it up before I start judging, to see what he could have possibly fucked up. Most of the time, I agree with the mods that the person is an intolerable little pissant. Other times, I either ignore him or rep him.
Toadcop isn't a zero rep person though. In fact, he has quite a decent amount of reputation sustained over at WC3Campaigns.net
However, on this site, it would not be unusual for one to mention that should he have little to no rep. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just a defense.
However, it is true that his example was way off, incomparable, and if you don't mind me saying, a little big of both ignorance and arrogance. But this thread is not at all intended to start a firey chat, since they lead up to people who have too much time into preaching in an unorthodox manner to prove their point but in the end only making themselves, along with those who join the fire fight, dumber for wasting such an amount of time on virtually yelling.
I just found his statement about "pop" to be unbelievably ignorant. And the spelling errors didn't help.
Very good with calling reputation an 'indicator'. I agree with that for sure.

~Craka_J
Nyeh, is that what the cool kids are doing these days?

Level 9
All positive rep really means (to me) is usually how active the person is on this site and how long they have been on the site.
When I see users with negative rep, I look at their profiles to see what they did, since comments explain much more than a 50x50 .gif image.
And yes, the people with the most rep are (in this order, usually): staff members / artists / modelers / JASSer's

Level 25
I just found his statement about "pop" to be unbelievably ignorant. And the spelling errors didn't help.

Nyeh, is that what the cool kids are doing these days?

Spelling errors hardly have anything to do with proving a point, unless if trying to prove who is the better one at spelling words in English or whatever language they're speaking.

As for that last comment, it makes no sense to me. Want to go into further detail about that?

I have an art gallery and terrain gallery set up here, but more than half of my rep is from fans of my mods which I am working on/dictating. Some of it is for actually being helpful as well.

~Craka_J

I think that reputation is pretty much popularity. In most cases, at least. If the persons are good at their modding specialty, or whatever, then why not give out some type of little award/star/whatever just to show that they actually gained those from real modding - not witty comments or rep parties. Reppings with comments like "Blue gem nearly" or "orly" and useless CRAP like that are seriously just popularity. Reputation - you can't get it through strange pictures. You get it by doing something, it's not indicated by pictures, it's indicated by people knowing your name, knowing what you do, things like that.
-Rep is often just because a mod is grumpy, but not always, I check things like that as well. I still pay as much attention to people with little, no or negative rep as I do to people with lots of it.
If you're saying that a person with hardly any rep is useless or not good at something, it's basically like discrimination or racism. Judging people by "their colours", this being their rep - negative, low, high, none, huge.

Level 36
I use rep as a way of thanking people, either for individual posts or long-term activity. I also like recieving rep, because as Dan said, it's an ego boost.

And to the resy: Providing witty commentary is definetly reason enough for rep. You like it when someone makes you laugh, right? Same deal here, people like MSBB constantly make me laugh, so I dump as much rep on him as possible.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Again the infraction fails on a matter.
You get banned after 10 infraction points, yet if the person with most reputation received the 10 neg-rep points, the title wouldn't change.
Hi, I'm super popular, but I'm banned. There is very little chance this would happen, but still, infractions fail to take down reputation as they should.

Level 25
Infractions definitely should take away some reputation points. The neg-repper should be able to determine how much rep is reduced depending on the rule(s) broken. But some mod would end up getting really pissed and abusing that power by neg repping someone for -100,000 rep.

~Craka_J

Level 34
Well that would be very unfair for the smaller users, and me. We shall only throw infractions at the smaller people and when someone like erhm Earth-Fury abuses hardcore style, he doesn't get any punishment. I want a global poll for this D:

Level 26
Well that would be very unfair for the smaller users, and me. We shall only throw infractions at the smaller people and when someone like erhm Earth-Fury abuses hardcore style, he doesn't get any punishment. I want a global poll for this D:
1. Bitch, you have it coming.
2. "Smaller people" will just have to wait until their infraction expires.
3. REPORT EF OR SHUT UP.

Level 12
To answer the question and not jump all over the f*cking place with the mods and what not

"Nothing."

Level 12
I think reputation is just a way of distinguishing people. Low rep, I don't give a shit about you, high rep, I'll lick your ass (preferably to receive rep or to bomb you with requests). Rep is just like money.

You my friend, are the equivalent to a bum
(I'm richer than you! :D)

Level 26
Meh, you haven't thought about the fact that he can accept/refuse reports, did ya. Now shut up kid.
Just what the fuck do you think the admin contact forum is for?

But then again, you probably don't care for such things, because if you bitch about mods, you'd want to make it publicly accessible, don't you? Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to drag the attention you crave onto your pitiful self. Is that it?

Yeah, I'm a "kid". I'm probably younger than you. So how does that feel? How does it feel to be a plaguing cancer on this world that makes arguments that someone much younger than you could point out the obvious flaws in? I'm curious as to how such a feeling might be.

Level 28
At the very beggining, I cared about the reputation.

It made me "advance" (I think). I looked at the others who had some reputation to see how they earned them, and I discovered that it is good to me a helpful user.

Now I don't care anymore, it is used as a comment/scrap system, but I think it is good for new users. Seeing a small amount of rep below your avatar motivates you to do stuff and help others. However, for those who have more then 60 rep.... I don't think they care...

Level 26
Now I don't care anymore, it is used as a comment/scrap system, but I think it is good for new users. Seeing a small amount of rep below your avatar motivates you to do stuff and help others. However, for those who have more then 60 rep.... I don't think they care...
It's the other way around for me. The more I gain rep, the more fun I have doing so. It's more of a fun competition this way.

REP IS SERIOUS BUSINESS, GUYS.

...or not.

Anyhow, I can't picture anyone using rep as a serious way of judging someone for privileges and such, but for judging what kind of user one is, I find my "indicator" definition of rep to be quite accurate, minus the spam rep.

Level 12
Lawl, MySpaceBarBroke is a glorious beacon of light to behold

ALL HAIL!!! (gets on knees and does a quick prayer)

Anywho, yeah if my rep reflected who ah is, I would be pretty close to a selfless bum

Status
Not open for further replies.