• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What does your Country's Flag mean to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Flag Burning Terrorists Are Pretty Stupid

flagburningterrorist.jpg

American Flag Burning Terrorist are Even dumber than I thought!

$29.50
American flag: $25

Gasoline: $2

Cigarette lighter: $2.50
Catching yourself on fire because you are a terrorist asshole: PRICELESS!

Saw this in a local sub place, I was dieing---

Level 40
When I see my flag, I think...

Well, let's just say us Canadians aren't patriotic like you Americans or them Europeans are. We're more "not American" than Canadian anyhow.

On an unrelated note, I'd like to say that I have no idea where the 'points' you made in your first post about America come from if not from jingoism.

• Who fought and died for it (In reality, not being told they were)?
  • Why does everyone hate Germany so much?
  • Your reasoning is a little cliché, sorry to say, but it strikes me as more of a formulaic response.

If you didn't guess already, I'm generally cynical.

Level 40
Heh, I wasn't sure exactly what to put.

"Not the British flag or a derivative thereof anymore"?

"Not the American flag"?

"Not legal to execute people who step on it, let it touch the ground, and/or light it on fire"?

The list goes on (For reference, see above description of Canadian patriotism).

Level 11
When I see my flag, I think...

Well, let's just say us Canadians aren't patriotic like you Americans or them Europeans are. We're more "not American" than Canadian anyhow.

On an unrelated note, I'd like to say that I have no idea where the 'points' you made in your first post about America come from if not from jingoism.

• Who fought and died for it (In reality, not being told they were)?
  • Why does everyone hate Germany so much?
  • Your reasoning is a little cliché, sorry to say, but it strikes me as more of a formulaic response.

If you didn't guess already, I'm generally cynical.

I knew you were cynical~
Who fought and died for it (In reality, not being told they were)?
Many many millions... you have to know them rather than listen to that media scum

Why does everyone hate Germany so much?
Well, I don't now, but If I was around the holocaust or just general Natzism, I don't know what I would have done.

Also to clarify things... Hitler was an amazing ruler, he brought Germany back from the big depression of Germany.

Level 40
Many many millions... you have to know them rather than listen to that media scum
And what was it that they were fighting and dying for (this is my point) (give specific examples of events where this is applied)?

Well, I don't now, but If I was around the holocaust or just general Natzism, I don't know what I would have done.

Also to clarify things... Hitler was an amazing ruler, he brought Germany back from the big depression of Germany.
A few things:

• The holocaust is overrated ("Oh my god he's a racist a nazi etc etc etc..." sorry, but I hate to tell you, it's true). There have been plenty of genocides, and one shouldn't constitute the entire known history, morality, beliefs, etc, of a country.
  • Hitler was indeed smart politically, though not militarily.
  • If you learn something about history in school, expect it to be corrupted by jingoism. Too many facts are conveniently forgotten.

Level 11
And what was it that they were fighting and dying for (this is my point) (give specific examples of events where this is applied)?

A few things:

• The holocaust is overrated ("Oh my god he's a racist a nazi etc etc etc..." sorry, but I hate to tell you, it's true). There have been plenty of genocides, and one shouldn't constitute the entire known history, morality, beliefs, etc, of a country.
  • Hitler was indeed smart politically, though not militarily.
  • If you learn something about history in school, expect it to be corrupted by jingoism. Too many facts are conveniently forgotten.

I know there have been more genocides, but this fits in a crucial point in American history, and world history, the first modern war. Also facts are forgotten, that's why don't look at what people say, look at everything. Texts, websites, people, ect.

Level 27
I know there have been more genocides, but this fits in a crucial point in American history, and world history, the first modern war. Also facts are forgotten, that's why don't look at what people say, look at everything. Texts, websites, people, ect.

Why does it fitting into American history suddenly make it the most important thing in the world? And I'd say WWI was a pretty modern war.
Oh, yeah, and Hitler was a crappy leader in terms of war. Sending Rommel to Egypt? Attacking Russia? Letting the British go when he could have crushed them? Yeah, all bad mistakes. In terms of his leadership, he mostly just converted the Germans' anger from them getting screwed over by France + Britain from WWI. I guess that makes him a good leader, but I think there was already an underlying hatred going on that allowed him to achieve what he did quite easily.
--donut3.5--

Level 2
Well, what does it mean to you? To me when ever I look at the flag (U.S.) I feel pride in my country and I think of those, those who fought to make it what is is today, those who spawned a revolutionary movement around the world... Those how fight and have fought under it protecting freedom, Those who said "We, are individuals, we are independent from the British" and proved the world wrong by repelling the most feared nation on Earth... twice. By saving democracy in Europe twice. Those who stood behind the country after it's first failed government... Those who have shown the world "I am, a rebel." and

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

I highlighted Indivisible and liberty and justice for all because those two sections, have shaped this country to an unimaginable end.

Please no flaming or anything.

This aint a flame. I'll just tell you what i feel & mean about your flag dude.
Feeling : HATE, ANGER, AGGRESSION.
Ok tnx, cool, you saved people from the nazi invansion.. that was before nearly 70 years.. the USA could say no let it be.. but i think they feared they could be bashed by the nazis and japan later.. anyway.. today you re the worst country for some people, incuding me. why ? well .. racism.. spiting on other peoples religon .. telling people its an evil religon,spiting on other cultures, nations.. killing thousands of inocent people. mostly civilians, and erasing whole cities to the fucking ground from the face of the planet. invading without reasons. doing a damn war cuz of oil lol , in few years you ll be doing wars cuz of water suplies ha-ha !! and your society is sick, racism..violence..p0rn is everywhere behind every corner lol! :grin:

I CANT BELIVE SOMEONE IS PROUD ON THAT :eek: :thumbs_down:

Level 36
Why does it fitting into American history suddenly make it the most important thing in the world? And I'd say WWI was a pretty modern war.
Oh, yeah, and Hitler was a crappy leader in terms of war. Sending Rommel to Egypt? Attacking Russia? Letting the British go when he could have crushed them? Yeah, all bad mistakes. In terms of his leadership, he mostly just converted the Germans' anger from them getting screwed over by France + Britain from WWI. I guess that makes him a good leader, but I think there was already an underlying hatred going on that allowed him to achieve what he did quite easily.
--donut3.5--

He sucked at war, but as an economist he was a genius. He took a country in depression and turned it into an economic powerhouse. Roads, highways by the hundreds, factories mass producing goods. He industrialized the shit out of a failing country and turned it right around.

He was an evil bastard, yes, but he did do some crazy things for Germany at the time.

Level 40
By 'conveniently forgotten' I meant not mentioned so as to further the argument best suited without their existence.

Does the fact that Winston Churchill's birthday came and went several times during the war make it important too?

Also, the Holocaust isn't just talked about. I was doing in-depth research on Prussian/German Domestic Policy under Bismark a year or so ago, and when I went to the library, out of 30 or 40 books on Germany, one was on a topic other than how evil Hitler was and how bad the Holocaust was, etc.

Level 40
As is tank and naval warfare. Large-scale modern warfare is all about cruise missiles, ICBMs (if it goes that far), Aircraft Carriers, and high-speed interceptors.

"Modern war" is a rather bad way to put it. Also, trench warfare wasn't World War One. Trench warfare was the northwestern front of World War One, yet another example of jingoism.

Level 34
As is tank and naval warfare. Large-scale modern warfare is all about cruise missiles, ICBMs (if it goes that far), Aircraft Carriers, and high-speed interceptors.

"Modern war" is a rather bad way to put it. Also, trench warfare wasn't World War One. Trench warfare was the northwestern front of World War One, yet another example of jingoism.
Jingoism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not sure you're using that right, although I have never even heard of the word, so I have no clue. What front wasn't trench warfare, and who was on that front?

Level 11
-
--donut3.5--
I don't think so. It was trench warfare which is now outdated.
I never said it made it important in the world, I just said it was important to me.

Thank you Gilles for defending the "inner idea" of what I said.

There are things like atom bombs... planes... tanks... adv. weaponry...

-

Not sure you're using that right, although I have never even heard of the word, so I have no clue. What front wasn't trench warfare, and who was on that front?
I'd like to second that

Level 40

The fighting in Russia was rather mobile, and the fighting in Serbia, Bulgaria, Italy, Romania, etc, often was, though trench warfare occasionally came in and out (mostly only on the Austro-Italian front), and some of the fighting was done in cities (such as Belgrade).

By jingoism, yes, I mean sabre-rattling patriotism, corrupting what actually happened with what makes your country sound better and more important.

Bunch of cloth for me. But I like Wales' flag. :>

Also, random fact. Did you know that Cornwall's flag (yes, a county has a flag now, ONOZ) was created in the year 1337? I lol'd when I saw that.

EDIT:
WILLTHEALMIGHTEH said:
We should have an Earth flag.

I know it's not really Earth but it's pretty close.

un-flag.jpg

Level 12
compare original czech flag (used in 1918-1992) with poland

180px-Flag_of_Bohemia.svg.png

and

300px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png

and original slovak flag (changed in 93 becouse of similarity with russia)

120px-Flag_of_First_Slovak_Republic_1939-1945.svg.png

and russian flag
250px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png

and of course slovak flag from 19century with not chosed order of colors

120px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png

with flag of holland
180px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png

Level 40
You make it sound like there were no trenches!
The transportation systems in Russia especially were not good enough to sustain trenches, and the Germans were advancing too quickly and effectively to need them.

In the alps, trenches were often rather unfeasible.

In Romania and other areas, again, the war was far too mobile (with both nations having giant pushes at various times) to have trenches play a major role.

In the Caucasus, mountains again mean trenches are not particularly practical, additionally, neither Turkey nor Russia had particularly good transportation (especially in mountainous and fringe zones, of which the Caucasus is both) to sustain trenches.

In Egypt and southern Turkey, the war was too much about coastal raids and capturing key cities for trenches to play a major role.

In Serbia, fighting was sporadic at best until October 1915, when Bulgaria, Germany, and Austria-Hungary attacked from the North and East and conquered the country in approximately a month, not leaving any time for fortified wars.

In Macedonia and Greece, the only major trench networks were near Salonika, only put in place because the Allies expected to lose the Balkans, and wanted to prevent the Serbian army from being captured in Greece (as well as the French protesting British withdrawal), which was neutral at the time.

In the end, many of the eastern theatres were won so thoroughly by the Central Powers that they actually costed the allies troops rather than gaining them an advantage. Seeing as these troops had to be brought from Britain and France, as with the Eastern front in Russia, Romania, Serbia, etc, all too often men could not be replenished enough to sustain trench warfare, and instead fortified cities were a more popular option.

Conclusion: The Western Front in WW1 was not WW1, just as the Western Front in WW2 was not WW2. It's rather sad that you learn about Canadian victories (in Canada) and American victories (in the US) like the Somme in WW1 and D-Day for all western Allied countries in WW2, but not crucial events like Belgrade, Gallipoli, the Brusilov Offensive, Kursk, Kiev, etc. Hell, even Stalingrad isn't as well known as D-Day, at least in the west.

Level 13
Bah, you end up used to the propaganda. "We are the only heroes and bla bla bla..."
The war was won due to the ALLIANCE of the Allies, not because one country was more heroic than any other.
The only thing that wars brings is death... 2 million and a half in the Battle of Stalingrad, if I remember right (including one of my grand-grand fathers), historians are still unsure how many people died during the fall of Berlin, Pearl Harbour, Hiroshima and Nagasaki... and many, many more. And most of them civilians and forced recruits...

Level 13
I never said war wasn't necessary, because it is INDEED in human nature. But war should be a battle between warrior and warrior, not warrior and a citizen who's only guilt may be being born in a family or a country that isn't liked by someone.

Level 15
In essence it's still Warrior vs. Warrior:

Take what the warrior values most from him; his country. That's generally why he'd choose to be a warrior. To defend his country, community, city, continent, planet, or whatever the hell it is he's defending.

Level 9
The flag of my country is the oldest tricolour flag alive. Its stand for.. well the dutchies, VoC, Trade. blahblahbla.. It used to be Orange,white,Blue but the french people turned it to red,white,blue after they invaded us. (the most black day of our history)

Level 36
Yes, Osama and a militant group of radical Afghanis DID receive training, but only because at the time the US hated the Soviets more than they hated Islam. It's true. The US was supplying these rebel factions so that they could damage the USSR without openly going to war against them and pushing the button.

Level 14
Words of an American.

The words of a ****ing *****ing ******.

Yes, Osama and a militant group of radical Afghanis DID receive training, but only because at the time the US hated the Soviets more than they hated Islam. It's true. The US was supplying these rebel factions so that they could damage the USSR without openly going to war against them and pushing the button.

Yeah, it's called the Cold War. 1950ish-1992ish.

Anyway, back on topic. My countries flag symbolizes my Freedom. That is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 7
No way guys, the fucking canadian flag is where it's at. It's a maple leaf! Even though Quebecs the only province that really exports maple products, and is the only province where the leaf that the flag leaf was based on grows... It's still fricking epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.