• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What can Blizzard do to recover the current decline of Warcraft III: Reforged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi, Hivers. The latest official release 1.32a may disappoint you. Here I summarize some possible must be done things that could recover the current decline of Reforged for next patch (personally):
1. All promised contents should be implemented.

2. Add back custom campaign feature.

3. Fatal bugs could be fixed.

4. Further improve graphics and optimize performance.

5. Update EULA to give enough rights to authors.

Have different opinions? Please feel free to comment here.

Level 2
I only don't understand what exactly do you mean after first statement.

As to add, I'd like to:
-remove necessity of downloading reforged assets, if you haven't bought one.
-return ability to download pre-reforged version without online features for those who own game legal way. Remaster should never remove original game. This is not a mmo-product.
-proper offline mode (old skirmish button in addition to custom campaigns) you can't even type in text if you are only player on hosted map by yourself, which excludes ability to load by textcode in ORPGs if you playing alone, furthermore using built-in cheats
-user-friendly menu for custom hotkeys for standard units like in starcraft remastered, which would make this config txt file on-fly.

Level 5
They could rollback to last classic version and take some time to make Reforged a totaly separated client. But will take too much maturity to take this big of a decision and Idk if Blizzard have, judging by their last response.

Level 14
They could rollback to last classic version and take some time to make Reforged a totaly separated client. But will take too much maturity to take this big of a decision and Idk if Blizzard have, judging by their last response.
its pretty much the only thing they could do at this point to make people calm down. at least the non retards

I'd like to back away and pretend this shit never existed. just give the game client back and re ad the legacy installers.

I dont want to launch their blizzard browser shit AND Bnet when playing WC3 anyway ffs

Level 8
Well that rollback option would make shareholders boom like when you trigger "unit-explode" so that is not gonna happen

Edit: but yes, it would work

Level 14
Keep the Classic team on payroll and let them finish what they started. It's obvious the release was rushed, and shouldn't have been pushed out when it was. Work, work, work...
hopefulyl they fix the mess they made of the game 3 years ago and then leave

but weve been on this ride for the long term now. We know what to exact

they are going to keep fucking shit up and probalbly with higher frequency since the game is live.
You thought 1.32 1.31 and 1.30 was bad prepare your asshole

Level 7
Keep the Classic team on payroll and let them finish what they started. It's obvious the release was rushed, and shouldn't have been pushed out when it was. Work, work, work...
They've been on the payroll for many a year already, yet all they managed to deliver is pure, distilled shit in the meanwhile. Do you honestly believe keeping them on the payroll for another half a decade will change anything about it?

~El

Level 17
They've been on the payroll for many a year already, yet all they managed to deliver is pure, distilled shit in the meanwhile. Do you honestly believe keeping them on the payroll for another half a decade will change anything about it?

They've delivered some good features, which I'm personally fond of as a modder. The only issue are rushed patches and a rushed release. But that's a management problem, not a development problem.

Level 2
dream recover:

- add cut-scene like promise at least for sorry for all the issue the have made
- add the choise to use old dub for non-english Language like promise
- if don't would that at least give the option to use audio and text with separate language
- add custom campaign option
- make a good menù not that lag web app
- fix all the campaing like was in the classic, with old good hard real difficulty
- fix the damn terrain we tell them 1000 time in beta
- fix the light and shadow for portrait (seem like plastic now)
- fix the light in the night (seem a fog now)
- fix light in general
- make the new ui from 2018, this one is too big with a lot of empty useless space, was not optimal in 2003 now have no sense
- return the old download game in the download section
- put a 1.29 patch or better just make a little patch to add widescreen and switch campaign button in a 1.27 that's enough for offline

realistic recover:

- i fear that they, with the budget, just fix some bug for online and some other minor issue.
dunno if they fix terrain or the light in general
my fear with the reforge release was the campaing, because if this is not good they never change this heavily so
dub, cut-scene, difficult and are gone forever.

the big problem is the release, if they just not release it then can fix all of this in some month, now i don't think Activision care of all of this they just think or new cashmoney d4, maybe in future destroy also d2 only game in the old bnet

Level 14
dream recover:

- add cut-scene like promise at least for sorry for all the issue the have made
- add the choise to use old dub for non-english Language like promise
- if don't would that at least give the option to use audio and text with separate language
- add custom campaign option
- make a good menù not that lag web app
- fix all the campaing like was in the classic, with old good hard real difficulty
- fix the damn terrain we tell them 1000 time in beta
- fix the light and shadow for portrait (seem like plastic now)
- fix the light in the night (seem a fog now)
- fix light in general
- make the new ui from 2018, this one is too big with a lot of empty useless space, was not optimal in 2003 now have no sense
- return the old download game in the download section
- put a 1.29 patch or better just make a little patch to add widescreen and switch campaign button in a 1.27 that's enough for offline

realistic recover:

- i fear that they, with the budget, just fix some bug for online and some other minor issue.
dunno if they fix terrain or the light in general
my fear with the reforge release was the campaing, because if this is not good they never change this heavily so
dub, cut-scene, difficult and are gone forever.

the big problem is the release, if they just not release it then can fix all of this in some month, now i don't think Activision care of all of this they just think or new cashmoney d4, maybe in future destroy also d2 only game in the old bnet
the official campaigns are dogshit

if customs open well just simply use a custom version of the OLD game. aka proper difficutly we have loved for 18 years and the new shiny graphics if we want ti.

plenty exist.

I get the feeling they are going to disable reforge assets for Custom campaigns when realeased though. call it a hunch

if that happens ill just use old game period because those campaign screens for classic in reforge are awful. as if to subtley imply that reforge is superior.

this brings up another topic. the custom campaign b ackgrounds i believe. are all broken considering their new format. perhaps they wont even open in game because of this. hence them simply not existing right now.

Level 23
Custom campaigns should be the last thing they add back in Reforged. Probably less than 0.1% of the Wc3 player population play them and most people do not even know what they are, yet the lack of them is always close to the top of lists people make when describing the problems with Reforged. It would be in their best interest to prioritise the crashes and optimisation. As long as they add the custom campaign menu back within 6 months, that is satisfactory.

Level 24
Nah we're just entitled...
1545018345512.png

Level 14
Custom campaigns should be the last thing they add back in Reforged. Probably less than 0.1% of the Wc3 player population play them and most people do not even know what they are, yet the lack of them is always close to the top of lists people make when describing the problems with Reforged. It would be in their best interest to prioritise the crashes and optimisation. As long as they add the custom campaign menu back within 6 months, that is satisfactory.

so it's like tournaments then Blizzard PR " Custom campaigns was an underused feature of the legacy game. We could not figure out how to make our stuff work and not break all the intricate campaigns that make our work look like amateurs. To releive some stress on our end and better facilitate optimization for reforege players custom campaigns was deemed expenable and will not be coming back"

Theres a reason Classic client being merged makes this a fucking disaster Tulee and you know it.

Level 1
Hi, Hivers. The latest official release 1.32a may disappoint you. Here I summarize some possible must be done things that could recover the current decline of Reforged for next patch (personally):

Had Blizzard just put in that they retain "Right of First Refusal" instead of the heavy handed EULA, they could simultaneously insulate themselves from losing another DOTA while giving freedom to creators. Ever since Beta, I've been trying to learn how to design custom maps and games in the editor (that's how I found this site), and it was quite disappointing to read those updated Terms of Service.

Level 11
The only thing they can do is restore the classic client. From the beginning, they promised, that the original game would not be taken away, but it was. If they were to give the classic game back to the fans, the outrage would calm down somewhat.

Level 2
Only way to fix this mess of Reforged is to rollback to 1.26.

But honestly, if they want to fix it they should add the promised in-game cutscenes, the Story Reworks and bring back the graphical fidelity that was shown at Blizzcon 2018

Level 13
  1. Like Bellular said in one of his videos, rename the game to "Warcraft 3 Remastered" and reduce the price accordingly. At least to me, 10€ to 15€ would be a fair price.
  2. Make unnecessary for people who don't have Reforged to download some 25Gbs of extra useless contents, and take up precious computer space. I mean, make those 25Gbs download only after purchasing Reforged.
  3. Re add Custom Campaign feature in both versions.
  4. Fix as many bugs as possible and optimize performance as much as possible in both versions.
  5. Update the EULA. (although I don't think Blizzard will ever enforce it, and it won't really affect anyone ever, unless someone makes a new DotA, which is unlikely, but simply out of the principals)

Level 13
Agreed. I wish we got the starcraft treatment. U imagine old wc3 but crisp and not blurry?

Thats all they really had to do
Or in StarCraft II Wacraft III HD assets form.
I guess that would be fair. I mean if they said we're doing a graphics update with this kinda stuff, and asking 10€ for it, that would be fair. I don't think I would ever buy it, nor would it rekindle my interest in the game(I think), but I wouldn't be here complaining that's for certain.
If it was basically bugless and with almost optimal performance, I wouldn't mind even if they charged 15€ for it, wouldn't see me complaining.

Level 7

Optimistic:

The only thing that could save this mess is a split between W3:Classic and W3:Reforged. Restore classic W3 and its servers, and let people choose which version to play. If you own classic W3, you get to keep classic W3 plus Reforged with the old models. If you own Reforged, you get to own everything.

This would ensure the few of us left don't leave, while giving them time to repair W3:Reforged until it's attractive enough for everyone in classic to move there. It would also let them innovate and spice mechanics up a bit without making the purists go insane. Maybe even release a second expansion some day down the line.

Pessimistic / Realistic:

Blizzard died years ago, and this is a good wake up call for everyone here to leave this sinking ship. Hell, I'd argue it's been resting on the seafloor for quite a while now.

It's sad because there's nothing like the World Editor out there, and won't be unless some crazy assholes decide to risk the investment to recreate everything that W3 once was. If you want to keep the community around, start looking for a healthy alternative, and find it as soon as possible.

Before I'll consider updating to the latest patch, in order of priority:
-remove the 25GB download for non-Reforged users
-fix all major bugs
-add back removed features
-restore the original menu UI for non-reforged

Before I'll consider buying Reforged:
-fix the general art direction (models look soulless, poor readability from RTS camera, icons are barely distinguishable in many cases, etc)
-add promised features
-make a proper updated campaign (but keep the original campaign available, completely unaltered)

Status
Not open for further replies.