• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] WE Crash when marking terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Can you confirm this is still an issue on 1.31.1 live? If so please post the map and a sequence of steps to recreate the crash.

yes, I'm using version 1.31.01, (though now I notice there's a newer version I can update to - not sure it will help), I'd rather not post the map here cause it's one of the chapters in my campaign. but basically I created the map in version 1.28.5 a long time ago, now when I open it and try to mark the terrain WE shut down and shows this:

upload_2019-6-11_22-41-1.png

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
yes, I'm using version 1.31.01, (though now I notice there's a newer version I can update to - not sure it will help), I'd rather not post the map here cause it's one of the chapters in my campaign. but basically I created the map in version 1.28.5 a long time ago, now when I open it and try to mark the terrain WE shut down and shows this:
So does it still crash WE after updating? If so can you PM me details about the crash (the map and the instructions to recreate) so I can forward to William.

So does it still crash WE after updating? If so can you PM me details about the crash (the map and the instructions to recreate) so I can forward to William.

It still crashes and the details are very simple.

1: Open map saved in pre 1.31 WE.
2: Mark terrain till crash.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I will recreate it when I get home from work in 9 hours.
The issue is that I (or someone else) need to be able to recreate the crash reliably so that Blizzard can recreate the crash so that it can be fixed or at least proved that it has been fixed.

Ideally a map is needed where it can be loaded, then the specified range or sequence of tiles selected and then the crash occurs.

In any case William has been made aware of this. However I am not sure if currently there is enough here for the issue to be fixed.

The issue is that I (or someone else) need to be able to recreate the crash reliably so that Blizzard can recreate the crash so that it can be fixed or at least proved that it has been fixed.

Ideally a map is needed where it can be loaded, then the specified range or sequence of tiles selected and then the crash occurs.

In any case I am making William aware of this. However I am not sure if currently there is enough here for the issue to be fixed.

It is far less consistent than before. In the 1.31 PTR the editor would crash within seconds of marking terrain, now I have to actually mark terrain for 1-2 minutes before it crashes. You can recreate this issue with the ultimate terraining map as well, it's not exclusive to my map. I am sure if you try long enough it will happen to you too. If not then great, then it's just me it happens for which means it's not an issue.

Level 15

In any case William has been made aware of this. However I am not sure if currently there is enough here for the issue to be fixed.

For me it's just this one specific map, though I tried to copy the terrain from that specific map to a NEW map, after the map crashed I managed to mark the terrain only after doing the following steps (WE crashes anyways if I CTRL + C more then 1 time):
1. mark all units in map.
2. mark all cameras in map.
3. mark all regions in map.
4. go back to the terrain and I can CTRL + A all the map and copy it just once or twice before WE crash.

Later I tried to open a new map (with the same terrain) and managed to CTRL + V all of it into the new map. after saving and reloading it the NEW map crashes anyways (just with the terrain, no triggers custom units or anything) I can't mark it and need to do all following 1-4 steps to be able to mark it just once~.

if you want I can PM you the NEW map or the other map.
is that enough for steps to create the crash if I understood right? or you need to create it from scratch? cause if not I got nothing :/

Edit: I also updated to newest version 1.31.1.. didn't change anything :/

It does happen to me too. Please check the video and the map i provided. We both have a similar problem.

You can replicate what i did in the video to the map i attached.

It's freakin annoying everytime it happens, it even happens with my other maps (some are created at 1.27b, and some are created at patch 1.29+) when i am in the middle of terraining, then poof, crash, my progress is gone.

Edit: More problems here.

Attachments

• retest.w3x
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • bandicam 2019-06-13 15-21-42-139.avi
    7.5 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Can confirm the crash using the method described and shown by Strydhaizer above. The crash only happens with the 64bit World Editor. The retest.w3x demonstration map it will not crash as shown when using the 32bit World Editor.

I have notified Kam about this so it should be logged as a bug and fixed in a later version.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Oh finally, all problems i just mentioned don't seem to appear at 32 bit version, lag is less aswell (it is weird though, 64 bit should use much more resources and makes it more stable but it's not).
World Editor was not programmed with 64bit builds in mind. As such it is possible that parts of the code are not compatible with 64 bit, eg assuming the size of a pointer is 4 bytes or the size of a struct or class is assumed rather than resolved. It could also be a bug present in the 32 bit build but masked due to how memory is laid out, with the 64bit build having sufficiently different memory layout to cause a crash instead of nothing seeming to go wrong.

Reactions: KPC
Level 6
Hi, I appear to still have the issue when running the 32 bit version. It no longer crashes when I select or copy terrain, but now it crashes when I paste it. Here's a screenshot. I really don't know much about data but that number seems a little excessive for just the tiny area I was trying to copy (see minimap).
upload_2019-8-19_21-17-19.png

Status
Not open for further replies.