• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wc3 Fun Mapmaking Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's why you start from a small template for any kind of map. I have templates for anything.
Well, the thing is that i've got nearly anything back from the days i was still mapping and also it takes time to learn again the editor's basics, especially in triggering.
And escapes are the only kind of map doable (afaik) without touching much the editor (Max Escape Creation).

Level 26
Can a completed map from this event uploaded to map section?

Sure why not. I only requested that, when partaking, you do not pick a map you are currently working on, please, as it would defeat the purpose that this map is created as a result of the event. Recently, I elaborated on one of my old entries, too, and played it with pubs.

Level 26
The uploads are from the other rounds. After the event starts, you can post your entry (and update it until the end). The challenge has a timespan of 24 hours, meaning you are supposed to work on your map within that frame. To enforce that, the genre(s) and keyword(s) are given just before the 24 hours begin. After they have passed (with a short break), the Funmap Evening starts (see its separate thread), where I am going to host those maps, so the ones present can playtest the results.

The uploads are from the other rounds. After the event starts, you can post your entry (and update it until the end). The challenge has a timespan of 24 hours, meaning you are supposed to work on your map within that frame. To enforce that, the genre(s) and keyword(s) are given just before the 24 hours begin. After they have passed (with a short break), the Funmap Evening starts (see its separate thread), where I am going to host those maps, so the ones present can playtest the results.

OH, NOW I SEE
wait, what separate thread?
T_T God damn why does it have to be so confusing

Level 26
Awesome!
I'm excited!

Is an arena type of map in a Lair / Graveyard / Healthy Forest terrain setting enough to include the keywords, or does it have to impact gameplay?

My initial idea was 4 players, fighting in a dragons lair, stealing dragon eggs and putting them in their own base. Does this fulfill the criterias?

Level 26
Level 4
My funmap

Have to go to bed now, it's almost midnight. Hopefully you guys are still playing when I wake up. Anyway, my map is attached.

Attachments

• Undead Rift Arena.w3x
    35.3 KB · Views: 165
Level 11
Here's my map, I have been working on it a lot -- I really hope that I didn't make it completely unplayable.

I myself, won't be attending, have fun and report who won!:D

Umm sec, don't download it yet, I left sth out. Nvm, I guess it's playable, just place a computer on the force 2 slot.

Attachments

• Evil Chasers.w3x
    86 KB · Views: 167
  • entiremapview.png
    entiremapview.png
    900.5 KB · Views: 134
Not many entries so far, I've been working on this map only ever since the criteria were announced. Given there are only 12 minutes left, I'd appreciate if the countdown was postponed by half an hour. I'm close to finishing the map but I think I might not finish in the given time. I can however finish it 100% in 40 minutes though, since I still have some terraining to do and some tooltips. All core mechanics and things are done, only estetics remain.
I am also the first time participating in such a contest, so, yeah :D

Level 4
Maybe I should have made the rules more clear :vw_death:

Should have put them in the quest log and messaged them at the start of the game.

Also I think there was a bug where windwalk interferes with vertex coloring.

__

The thing that I am most annoyed at myself about not including is a message that pops up when you die for the first time, telling you to touch a paladin to respawn. Otherwise people think that the game is broken when they try to collect acolytes and cannot.

Last edited:
Level 26
Maybe I should have made the rules more clear :vw_death:

Should have put them in the quest log and messaged them at the start of the game.

I did read the rules from the loading screen but, from a game design standpoint, passive blocks of texts are not reliable. You have to understand the gameplay by playing, which is done by highlighting and separating good from negative effects. When something as decisive as dying, change of objective happens, I think it would have been a good idea to use just in time alerts as you said like "Your got your soul sucked out by touching a Dreadlord. See a Paladin to regain your life.". But I do not know if doing this first time only is enough.

Also I think there was a bug where windwalk interferes with vertex coloring.

It does. A unit cannot be vertex-colored while windwalking/invisible.

So sad. I missed the contest. When is the next?

No date specified yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.