• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Warcraft III - Fall of Draenor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
People said Warcraft III would be completely dead (ghost town) once World of Warcraft came out. It didn't happen. Games like Starcraft and Quake 3 are still active, because people prefer different types of games, not only that, but they also don't always like the new systems and engines that games use.

Quit saying, "Starcraft II will kill Warcraft III!" It's far beyond ignorant.

Level 23
Hm... you do have a point. Yet, SCII actually is the replacement of WCIII, so there is more trouble here.

And what do you mean WoW should has killed WCIII? It came only a few years later, plus it a completely diferent style of a game. I dont think that those playing Unreal Tournament would all go to play the Unreal Tournament which became an RTS.

EDIT:
Also, I've been thinking a lot of about the siege units. We have changed the siege units to rams, because I couldnt imagine anything for the draenei, but then I thought about it all and imagined all the race catapults. Here is a concept of draenei "catapult" I imagined yesterday.
160705-albums1300-picture24872.bmp

It shoots spheres of arcane on the enemy buildings and also probably has some other ability, like Essence of Mana spell of Obsidian Statue.

Last edited:
Level 6
Hmm...not bad, but maybe instead of just full out arcane, they are boulders enchanted with arcane magic?

-.-...Maybe I am just being stupid. :p

Level 2
Instead of that, I think it makes more sense to be more like the Infernal Contraptions from WC3, only not as "infernal." You know, more "refined," since the Draeni have their history of understanding magic and machinery and stuff. And it pelts, like, concentrated arcane energy at buildings and junk...?:mwahaha:

Level 8
Because on MODDB there is a Edge of Eternity description: "Project that merges Fall of Draenor and The Awakening".

No it doesn't.

"Warcraft IV - The Edge of Eternity is the merge of the two epic Warcraft 4 Projects, Warcraft 4: The Awakening and Warcraft IV: The New Age. The project is based on the events after Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne, and will feature 5 campaigns."

I do not think this project needs a merge, we are fine the way we are. Plus, edge of eternity is going down an annoying road. I do not like them simply because they call themselves "warcraft IV". In any case, they have defiled the name because they think they can do things better than blizzard and become the bigwigs. The entire post speaks of hubris. They think they can start their own company. Have you seen the post? I'm okay with reforming the warcraft story, but it just seems like they're calling it Warcraft IV and not making it warcraft. I also sense they are made up of people who think "wow killed wc3" which is almost as idiotic an exclamation as when bush said "rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?" and yes that's the best I can do because that was a dumb statement. Anyway, I'm sorry for this outburst but I do not like where they are going. They lost me when they said they destroyed azeroth. I just do not like edge of eternity's story. I'm sure the gameplay would be terrific, and I am getting a slice of that cake, but that story really offsets the game's likeableness.

Level 8
Umm, where did you hear "they destroyed Azeroth"? That is not part of the story at all, and we don't plan to use that idea either. That was suggested in a thread called "How do YOU think Warcraft IV should end?" but that is what the fans suggested not me. I see nothing wrong with calling it Warcraft IV either, because it is as close to a continuation as the real one would be. Never have I said we can do things better than Blizzard, that would just be idiotic.

Now you're just being blinded; World of Warcraft did kill Warcraft's lore. It even went as far as possibly delaying the original Warcraft IV (which could have been made if they didn't create WoW). I'm fine with having a Warcraft MMO, but really what Blizzard did with the story just screwed the lore completely. A band of heroes killing the Lich King? Not only is that lame but it also makes no sense.

Also, what is wrong with starting our own indie studio? As far as I'm concerned many of the teams who create modifications end up starting an indie studio, and become quite successful. Now I'm not saying we are going to get far, by no means am I saying that, but we are going to try anyway.

Really it just seems like you're pulling crap out of your ass. No offense to you.

Level 9
Well, heroes become what they are by doing things like that, so I think you may be the more foolish one there, kingbdogz. Whatever gods may exist won't always come down to strike down evil, sometimes mortals have to carry out things beyond their calling.

Does it really have to be so weird that a party of normal beings defeated the Lich King?
Anywho, back on topic, people. Case Closed. No retaliation.

Level 8
The thing is Cthulus, is that these "Heroes" are randomly popping out of no where after the events of The Frozen Throne. Now tell me this: Why are millions of beings suddenly becoming Heroes that can defeat the Lich King and Illidan? It would have made perfect sense if a greatly known hero killed the Lich King, but I doubt a bunch of mortals could stand a chance. It makes no sense, simple as that.

Level 6
I do not think this project needs a merge, we are fine the way we are. Plus, edge of eternity is going down an annoying road. I do not like them simply because they call themselves "warcraft IV". In any case, they have defiled the name because they think they can do things better than blizzard and become the bigwigs. The entire post speaks of hubris. They think they can start their own company. Have you seen the post? I'm okay with reforming the warcraft story, but it just seems like they're calling it Warcraft IV and not making it warcraft. I also sense they are made up of people who think "wow killed wc3" which is almost as idiotic an exclamation as when bush said "rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?" and yes that's the best I can do because that was a dumb statement. Anyway, I'm sorry for this outburst but I do not like where they are going. They lost me when they said they destroyed azeroth. I just do not like edge of eternity's story. I'm sure the gameplay would be terrific, and I am getting a slice of that cake, but that story really offsets the game's likeableness.

The idea of becoming 'bigwigs', which by the way is a really annoying phrase, was my idea. I'm not really even on the team, just kinda there doing a few models and telling others how the programs work. But anyway, technically it would be a LLC, but given your failed attempt to look high and mighty I doubt that you would know the difference between an LLC and a Partnership. But, regardless whereas we have plans you have... well you're kind of a douche, so you got that going for you at the very least. But that really offsets your likeableness, even if you weren't insulting me I wouldn't want to be friends with you. And your little liberal lowshot there, makes you look like a complete idiot, even moreso than the rest of this. I mean I don't even like Bush that much, I would prefer him to Obama, but that doesn't mean I like him. But altogether you lost me when you made this post because, along with being mostly unfounded, wrong, and just stupid in general, your attempting to make assumptions about knowing what we're planning even though there has been very little talk about it other than a little announcement about possible future plans, which even furthers how completely useless this makes the entire debacle we're going through.

On the other hand, please do post more because I can tell your liberal and I'm writing a paper for a psychology class I have and you would be a perfect example (it's about leftists, I tried to do it at TH but the thread got closed). Can you try and not use Bush though, I would prefer if you targeted a more prominent figure since he's gone now, and I have enough on it from Obama. My paper is going to kick so much ass....

Level 9
Nice move, Varine. Good luck on the paper, too.
kingbdogz, anyone can become a hero. Are you saying that no nameless henchman could have killed Uther the Lightbringer? That only some big, fancy oaf with a trademark phrase and a fancy sword could have brought down Thrall? I think it's clear where this is going.

Everyone, please. Can we return to the main topic of this thread? We need to concentrate on our project. And seriously, can you not post a comeback again? Trust me, I understand your point, and I respect your opinion, but I like to believe in the ability of anybody becoming a hero. Are not simple men like farmers the subject of so many of our ancient songs?

Level 8
Cthulus, I'm not saying that a random henchman can't become a hero, but I'm saying when TOO many people start to randomly transform into mighty beings with powers to kill the most threatening force in the Warcraft story it gets a little ridiculous. Anyway I agree, we are getting a bit too off-topic. Let's focus! :)

Level 49
Nice move, Varine. Good luck on the paper, too.
kingbdogz, anyone can become a hero. Are you saying that no nameless henchman could have killed Uther the Lightbringer? That only some big, fancy oaf with a trademark phrase and a fancy sword could have brought down Thrall? I think it's clear where this is going.

Everyone, please. Can we return to the main topic of this thread? We need to concentrate on our project. And seriously, can you not post a comeback again? Trust me, I understand your point, and I respect your opinion, but I like to believe in the ability of anybody becoming a hero. Are not simple men like farmers the subject of so many of our ancient songs?

You realize how stupid is the fact that thousands if not millions of people are rapidly killing pretty much all the important figures of Warcraft, and they went as far as letting them kill the Aspects themselves and the Old Gods? You realize that millions of people can't become 'heroes' at the same time-line, right? It just makes no sense that about a million people become heroes in the same year and go ahead and slay a few gods for some items that somehow are found inside their corpses.

Level 9
Agreed. Now get back on topic, damnit. You are on my notice list now, kingbdogz! xD Just kidding, we have no issue here!

Level 23
OK, I have important question for all here. Do any of you know what Dawn of Chaos is?

EDIT:
You ninja'd me kingbdogz!
Yes we do, we are going to make lots of skins for the environment, trees arent going to be like pines in WCIII. The units and buildings and stuff are also going to have good skins.

Level 9
Yeah, Dawn of Chaos looks great. What of it?
Wait, so will all units be getting re-skinned or something of the sort?

Level 9
Have you seen the mission opening cutscenes they released for the Swamp of Sorrows?
I remember that level fondly, myself.

Level 23
I know. All of their work is darkened, and I like that.
However orcs are overcorrupted in their campaign, I mean peons have red eyes! Creepy.

But their orcish buildings are awesome. If the skin we use is like clay, their skin actually looks like orcish buildings are made out of mud. But what impresses me the most is their road and wall system.

Level 9
Weeell, the Orcs in the first game were kind of like that. And yes, the road and wall system is very cool! Honestly, the wall idea wasn't so new, since Age of Empires had played around with it years prior to Warcraft 3, but the road system is great.

Level 23
Just like WCI. Anyway some of their orcish buildings are worse then ours and some are much better.

Yeah, I guess that if orcs werent that crazy back on Draenor, where they could create normal buildings, on Azeroth they got completely crazy and their buildings became more warlike, also living in swamp and world a bit different from your own can really make architecture...

Level 23
Yeah, this is one awesome mod.

It reminds me the story of the skin we are temporaly using for orc buildings.

I once saw a goblin underground hut skin for the egg building and said to the author that it would be cool if he made a mag'har version, but he refused. Then one day Stanakin Skywalker read my post and made that skin. Soon Supertoinkz made his orcish buildings using that skin and joined FoD. Circle of life, heh?

This mod is the best, and I knew everyone would think me a troll(I used horrible examples that no one else could see why I did not like it), but really, I did not like the story(and I have no idea why... :cry: )

Now onto business, I propose we do some gameplay changes between campaigns, in example, one campaign can be an RPG-like thing with a straight forward plotline and a bunch of people, or one person doing things with an army working behind the scenes(You'd literally have an ally called "Army" or something similar) and one campaign be more like an rts with an army doing things. Maybe we could go farther and add elements of both to campaign, combining them to keep it unique. One gameplay idea I have is to keep the viewpoint switching constantly. The player would be a single color, probably brown, and each faction has it own default color, for when the player isn't playing it. We could even go as far as to switch the entire race to some other race during the end of a campaign and have them do something to end the story(I'm not talking from the beginning of the last map either, I'm very end of the last map and they only do one thing). Anyway these are just ideas and are probably just overthinking it. Do what you think is best, hopefully we can get back off the off-topic.

Level 8
@ dead-man-walking

That is hard to do when someone starts saying my story is completely crap without any proof nor a reason.

And really lightning brigade, what a crap excuse. I could say the same thing about the Fall of Draenor story because it is a prequel of sorts, having a large time lapse. But no, it seems FoD is the best mod ever.

But also, why form your own company??

Maybe because it's my life dream? Maybe because it can make a lot of money? Maybe because I want to make full games instead of modifications?

Really, I don't want to get off topic or cause troubles, but this is truly ridiculous. Nothing against Fall of Draenor nor you guys I'm just a little pissed off at the moment.

EDIT: It'd be wise that you do NOT reply to my post. I've caused enough troubles as it is.

Level 23
They are mostly based on brute force, but if you just will mass them they will be easily defeated because of law defence. Also they are complete dumbasses in ranged. Their units are strong, cost not that much, but take more food and therefore you need to wrok on your base.

Creating nig armies is good, but small ones are even better. Also they only have one spellcaster so you shouldnt rely on the spells a bit, though he is useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.