• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 patch wish list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
View entire map is nothing special, you can set that camera by yourself by hand. Hold Ctrl + Right mouse button and move mouse to set 90 degree camera angle, then roll mouse wheel back to zoom out until it is all black, then hold Ctrl + Mouse Wheel Back to increase Far Z of world Editor camera, it is unlimited and you can see as far as you want, BUT when you create camera through Cemara Palette, Far Z of that camera will be cut to 10 000, because it is the maximum value and I needed it to be increased in some situations. I hope I was clear enough.

Level 12
I did know everything you said except that you could set far z with 'Ctrl + Mouse Wheel'! You were very clear.

edit: btw, I always found the following annoying, is it annoying for you too?

When you use 'Camera - Set Camera Field (Timed)' the player can reset the camera with a simple mouse wheel or camera rotation to the default one.

Level 12
About jumping to specific time in replay is marked as impossible, that won't be an immediate jump for sure but game can calculate things without any output to user until reach specific time.Backwards jumping is impossible though.

Level 12
About jumping to specific time in replay is marked as impossible, that won't be an immediate jump for sure but game can calculate things without any output to user until reach specific time.Backwards jumping is impossible though.
Well if you can jump forward then you can also jump backwards with small modifications. Just create initial game state and calculate to that point.

But yes you are right, this would be the only way to do this. If you allow it then you also need to have the possibility of e.g. skipping 2 hours in a replay. The calculation for that seems to be just out of reach.. hm..

Level 12
Well, that would be restarting then, not backwards jumping xD
Code:
if (jumpTime < currentTime) then
  internalRestart()
endif
calculateToPoint(jumpTime)
Does not matter which techniques are involved when the user only sees the backwards jump.

Level 18
I want better naval pathing, better functions for editing terrain in-game (terrain deformations as they are suck balls) and alpha and beta version models and spells (Corpse Explosion in early beta was awesome, I want it back).

And add this fucking command button model already so we can finally make team colored icons. Or reveal its location if it's already there but hidden, the trolls.

Level 12
I want better naval pathing, better functions for editing terrain in-game (terrain deformations as they are suck balls) and alpha and beta version models and spells (Corpse Explosion in early beta was awesome, I want it back).

And add this fucking command button model already so we can finally make team colored icons. Or reveal its location if it's already there but hidden, the trolls.

Thank you for your rant. Half of your things are already somewhere in the list though, except naval pathing and alpha/beta models, some of them can be found here, here and probably at other places. Also I think that while some of those models looked good, there was a big part that did not.

Level 18
Thank you for totally not understanding my rant. I am very well aware of the available beta models, having ripped some of them myself for the first time (like a weird militia/bandit with a team-colored wooden shield). I was talking about the ones from the alpha which have a completely different feel and not even their textures survived, like the earliest Undead buildings (the texture for the very early version of the necropolis did survive partly as elements of the undead UI, but that's it). Other models, mostly undead, like the skeleton warriors, dreadlord and cold wraiths are also lost. However, the bigger problem are some abilities like corpse explosion, the demon hunter's spellbind and the dreadlord's bat form, which seem to be different from any ability in the retail. Also I'd like to see the resource gathering system as it was in the earliest alpha, with the undead having corpses as a resource. Blizzard change it because it would be harder to balance in melee, but they should release it for custom maps.

Level 12
For the visual things, how many really good looking alpha/beta visuals were there that we don't have? 10 or 20? I think it's too small to be on the list as a 'serious' demand.

And the non-visual things like abilities or resource systems, why should Blizzard do it if you can do it yourself in your custom map? Or am I missing something here?

Level 12
Resource is not modifable.
Currently to a limited extent resources can be modified.
I don't know what that skeleton resource system exactly was, but it sounds like a narrowly limited feature that

a) can already be recreated in custom maps
or b) can be recreated with the help of a far broader more useful feature that is on the list.

Level 18
For the visual things, how many really good looking alpha/beta visuals were there that we don't have? 10 or 20? I think it's too small to be on the list as a 'serious' demand.

And the non-visual things like abilities or resource systems, why should Blizzard do it if you can do it yourself in your custom map? Or am I missing something here?

10-20 models is totally acceptable as patch content in terms of models, I think.

And keep in mind that not every WC3 modder has extensive knowledge of JASS required to make such systems. Why risk making it leaky and/or buggy when Blizzard officially made the thing more than 10 years ago?

Level 16
why are you guys waiting for blizzard?
work yourselves out and do project and fix all the stuff you want, like HOMM III. They're not better than you. We've got lots of bright guys here

whats this thing? Like if I play custom mlee then play melee what happens? i still see custom units? LOL

Level 12
why are you guys waiting for blizzard?
work yourselves out and do project and fix all the stuff you want, like HOMM III. They're not better than you. We've got lots of bright guys here
Well especially the older people here might not have that much time available as in earlier days.
If you want to do the whole list you need insane knowledge of assembler, c(++), wc3's innerworkings and time, a lot of it.
Sharpcraft is going in the right direction, aka adding or making way for the "easy" stuff but even that is complicated.

whats this thing? Like if I play custom mlee then play melee what happens? i still see custom units? LOL
The widgetizer creates files in the map that are loaded by wc3 but not correctly reloaded/unloaded when you play the next map. This leads to problems.

Level 16
Well especially the older people here might not have that much time available as in earlier days.
If you want to do the whole list you need insane knowledge of assembler, c(++), wc3's innerworkings and time, a lot of it.
Sharpcraft is going in the right direction, aka adding or making way for the "easy" stuff but even that is complicated.
and I bit we have those insane ppl with insane knowledge
The widgetizer creates files in the map that are loaded by wc3 but not correctly reloaded/unloaded when you play the next map. This leads to problems.
which are? e.g.?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

^Wurst people did some nice things with Wurst, have you tried to use it?

Level 31
Another thing that would be valuable. A proper way to remove selection circle and life bar from specific unit without hacking object editor.

What is more, World Editor is not able to deal with really big models. Big in scaling size OR in amount of vertices of a model. It just cause crash or blackouts with display driver going nuts. That appeared to be an issue to me though.

Another thing that would be valuable. A proper way to remove selection circle and life bar from specific unit without hacking object editor.

What is more, World Editor is not able to deal with really big models. Big in scaling size OR in amount of vertices of a model. It just cause crash or blackouts with display driver going nuts. That appeared to be an issue to me though.

That is the issue known as the polygon capabilities of Warcraft 3 graphics. Warcraft 3 Engine can handle really big models, but it can't handle models with polygons higher than 7000. Else, your video driver crashes and numerous black outs are issued. The game is simply outdated for that many polygons.

It is possible to use models above 7000 polygons in certain conditions, but the circumstances may be severe.

To bypass this issue simply cut the model into several parts.

Level 31
Yeah, that's what I did and it worked, but it required lots of time just to deal with one model. This can't be updated I suppose. However, having one simple flat doodad that is set to really huge size, cause same problems. I wanted to hide the black beneath tile due to transparent tile with big flat and black doodad, really big scaled (10 000 for X and Y), driver went nuts despite low amount of polygons when doodad was selected. Can't be updated as well I guess, but just mentioned this as some sort of problem.

Yeah, that's what I did and it worked, but it required lots of time just to deal with one model. This can't be updated I suppose. However, having one simple flat doodad that is set to really huge size, cause same problems. I wanted to hide the black beneath tile due to transparent tile with big flat and black doodad, really big scaled (10 000 for X and Y), driver went nuts despite low amount of polygons when doodad was selected. Can't be updated as well I guess, but just mentioned this as some sort of problem.

values over 1000 for models are quite unstable in Warcraft 3.

- Allow at least vanilla Jass to detect a destructibles z height like a units fly height (of the z height without the terrain height being added to the value).

- Let there be a way for destructible to be placed smoothly like doodads and units can (with or without the pixely pathing).
(^These two would aid me a lot.)

- allow fields in the object editor to be visually hidden (have an option to show and hide hidden value fields(This could be done in other places like the trigger editor as well)).

Level 12
And keep in mind that not every WC3 modder has extensive knowledge of JASS required to make such systems. Why risk making it leaky and/or buggy when Blizzard officially made the thing more than 10 years ago?
I know what you're saying but won't take this on the list, there is no proof of this still existing and it's use is limited.
a new scripting engine wouldn't hurt.
:cconf: No.
True but it already works quite well.
Yes that is on the list.
- Allow at least vanilla Jass to detect a destructibles z height like a units fly height (of the z height without the terrain height being added to the value).
For wc3, z in general is not sync'ed anyways, so you either shouldn't do fancy stuff with it or really know what you do. Save the destructibles z in a hashtable at creation and you're good.
- Let there be a way for destructible to be placed smoothly like doodads and units can (with or without the pixely pathing).
Well that's not possible as long they have a pathing texture, as pathing in wc3 is determined by a fixed grid (except for units).
- allow fields in the object editor to be visually hidden (have an option to show and hide hidden value fields(This could be done in other places like the trigger editor as well)).
You want to be able to hide every field? I don't really understand what you're saying I think..
Removing the 60 fps limit would do wonders
For wc3 60fps is enough. The is only a problem when the framerate drops too low.
Realism!! Huge Unit models but small buildings, trees = Bad.
Make a realistic map if you want one.

I know what you're saying but won't take this on the list, there is no proof of this still existing and it's use is limited.

Make a realistic map if you want one.

Ezekiel12, keep in mind that I never asked for your non-encouraging fact.

If you don't like someone else's idea then please just ignore it, otherwise I will start reporting.
As of right now you've stated an obvious fact that goes against what I wrote, realism for War4. You can't tell me to make a realistic map If I want to, because clearly I wrote a wish for War4.

If you don't have anything to say then just ignore my comment.

Level 12
As of right now you've stated an obvious fact that goes against what I wrote, realism for War4. You can't tell me to make a realistic map If I want to, because clearly I wrote a wish for War4.
You have posted this in the wrong thread then. As this is the "hypothetical 1.27 wish list" thread, my answer should make sense. (For wc4 your idea is perfectly viable and my answer would make no sense ofc)

You have posted this in the wrong thread then. As this is the "hypothetical 1.27 wish list" thread, my answer should make sense. (For wc4 your idea is perfectly viable and my answer would make no sense ofc)

You may be correct, but this is about a patch and an idea that they will release Wc4- And I wanted to see this feature in Wc4. Wc3 has a chance of 1.27 patch very slim, since Blizzard already has too much to work on newer games. While Wc4 has a big chance to occur with all of these features that people requested (wished) in this thread.

I don't think there is a proper way to deal with this. -1.00 value that is supposed to solve everything removes just life bar, not selection scale, and bigger negative values starts to store memory that eventually leads to crashing.

To remove selection circle you have to set the value to 0.00. It also removes health bar, since health bar and selection circle are attached to each other, selection circle size changes health bar size too.

Currently it works perfect, I don't see any problems.

For wc3, z in general is not sync'ed anyways, so you either shouldn't do fancy stuff with it or really know what you do. Save the destructibles z in a hashtable at creation and you're good.
I'll find it more useful for an on initialization function for storing z values of a lot of destructibles.
Storing 100 different z values for each unique destructible on the map is impractical.

You wouldn't have this kind of problem with creating destructibles at a set z value cause there is a native for that and you could just set the value your setting for that destructible at the instance into a variable.

Anyway besides anyone that would actually find a use for this kind of function should have a good enough understanding with being aware of desyncing potential.

Well that's not possible as long they have a pathing texture, as pathing in wc3 is determined by a fixed grid (except for units).
Doodads have this functionality as well.

You want to be able to hide every field? I don't really understand what you're saying I think..
The object editor already has this View dropdown menu for example, although eliminates entire categories.
This can be potential to hide code in the trigger editor that you don't want to see clustering your screen either.

Ezekiel12 said:
•Fix the preload exploit (by for example not allowing creation of files outside of the directory of the currently started war3.exe)
NONONONONONO! Don't say dat.
That is extremely useful in so many ways not many can even imagine.

Sure its bad, but the same can kind of be said for the return bug except well wouldn't you hate typing a 128 save code to load in a remake of a map you just played just to get all your stuff/hero/hear to start again with all your progress? Preload exploit fixes that by creating a .txt file just for the players to copy and paste.

Tired of string codes? Well there's codeless possibilities.
Want to load stuff to a map outside of the map? Well why not.

Usually for encryption the mapmaker would want to hide the codes elsewhere so people can't play around and edit it to load max level/gear/etc.

Thing is if they fix this, they'll likely just remove the entire block of code for it and give us something else a bit worse in return which is how the first point follows into this. They're not like the old Blizzard, they're too new and don't know how to do stuff. =) Actually they do know how to make movies, but that's about all besides stealing idea's from MtG and other great stories/games.

Otherwise pretty much agree with all your points and idea's. By the way SC2'ers.... Unity and other game engines do stuff much better then SC2 so you should upgrade instead of wasting your time in SC2. =)

Edit: Read up and saw some posts I can help with, hold shift and click fixes the life bar. -1.00 yay.

Ezekiel12 said:
•Allow access to item shadows in Object Editor
Well we have some control over that, we can remove them with http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tutorial-submission-283/remove-item-shadow-260605/ so that is a bonus.... However it would be nice to have full control.

Status
Not open for further replies.