Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 Ashes of the Lord

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Darklycan51, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    can someone get me a Nice tree destructible model? because i need some good looking ones but that are usable as destructibles
    ------------
    and yeah we already got 2 terrainers.. i don't think i would need more sry.
    but i'm still actually looking for someone who is good with cinematics..

2. XPQJ

XPQJ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    oops i didnt realize there was more then 1 page when i posted that my bad xP

3. phoenixfire

phoenixfire

Resources:
    Resources:
    Get B2M's trees for scenery or use Blizzard trees for destructibles. Blizzard trees actually look very good

4. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    kk well then i'll post a list of all what i have imported untill now. (paths).
    in some minutes
    -----------
    updated thread added list
    ------------
    Updated Again:
    Importing SoC Human Resources to use as Stormwind Units and some others.

5. phoenixfire

phoenixfire

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm going to make 2 versios of a melee map later (Simplistic and as Realistic as a melee map can get) and see which one you like more for a melee-map feeling.

Also, for the realistic one, could we import some extra trees that would just serve as doodads? Oh, and I found some custom destructible trees if you still really want to use them (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/packs-542/destructible-tree-pack-193468/)

6. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    if you want i'll import those just tell me what to import and i'll import it.
    make sure you give me names of all custom resources so i can later change path
    -------
    Update have you seen the trees used in SoC? do you know where to get them? since he is using them as destructibles and they look frikin' good

7. phoenixfire

phoenixfire

Resources:
    Resources:
    www.wc3c.net has a lot of good tree models under Resources -> Model Resources -> Scenario/Decorations

Im pretty sure most of them arn't for destructible use, though im not 100% sure.

So you'll be importing them into the MPQ, not the Import/Campaign Import then right? So how the terrainers get to them? Are the trees just automatically replaced later?

8. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    yes, and no , i'm going to import them to the mpq, and then i will change them manually (just need to do 1 set of doodads and then import to all maps the changed doodads settings for melee).
    ----------
    for melee maps you should use normal trees and when you upload the maps (should be in sites such like mediafire or megaupload) it should be in .zip with a notepad folder saying models that should be replaced with each one.

then i just edit and change doodads.

--------------------
    Melee maps will be 9 for starting release. (without expansion pack).
    2 maps 1x1 , 2 maps 2x2 , 1 map 3x3 , 1 map 4x4 , 1 map 5x5 , 1 map ffa 10 players ,1 map 6x6 .
    -----------------
    expansion packs will be 3 melee maps each.
    and 1 extra map converted for aotl.
    -----------------

9. phoenixfire

phoenixfire

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, I was gonna use a mix fo blizzard trees and custom models. Should I just use something like Canopy trees to be replaced with the custom models and then leave the normal trees to stay there?

10. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    well i'm importing lot's of them after all if some of them can't be used for destructibles still can be used in custom maps :D

if you want to use a mix do something like these:

make a custom doodad of the tree (in the tile you're using) and change its variations to 1.
    and in the notepad file you can post the Tree you want to use as a replace.
    if you want to have more than one tree just make another destructible but with the name of the tree you want to use and also set variations to 1.

11. phoenixfire

phoenixfire

Resources:
    Resources:
    Alright - one final question.

Is there any theme the melee maps should follow? Since there is only 9 I could probably finish them in the upcoming 2-3 weeks. Can I just make a lot of them, based on my personal preferences and then we just choose 9 of them? Or do you want to give me a proper layout of exactly how each map should be?

12. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i'm giving that thing to you since you're the terrainer not me. though i would still recommend you try to make the map the most competitive possible. and not a monotone only 1 side to attack map

13. Lord Cat

Lord Cat

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ashes, what do you plan the races to be? A little background lore could probably help with ideas for the terrains and doodads / etc.

=================================================================

If you need any ideas for campaigns, I've got many suggestions you could use.

Human Campaign Suggestions -

• Darius Crowley's Rebellion (Still human)( Greymane Manor, Gilnean Wall, Gilneas) - Darius Crowley
    • Retaking of Gnomeregan (Tinker Town, Gnomeregan, Ironforge, Shadowforge, Grim Batol, Wetlands) -Brann Bronzebeard
    • Hold The Wall (Gilnean wall, Shadowfang Keep, Fenrir Keep, Dalaran Ruins) -(insert new person's name here)
    • Diplomatic Error (Theramore, Orgrimmar, Thunder Bluff, Zul'Farrak) - Jaina Proudmoore
    • Crusader's Memories (Scarlet Bastion, Tyr's Hand, Light's End, Stratholme) - Renault Morgraine / Darion Morgraine / Saiden
    Orcish Campaign Suggestions -

• Diplomatic Error (Theramore, Orgrimmar, Thunder Bluff, Zul'Farrak) - Thrall Doomhammer
    • To Rally The Clans (Zul'Farrak, Uldamon, Theramore, Orgrimmar) - Rexxar
    • The Mindflayer's Loyal (Blasted Lands, Wetlands, the Sunken Temple)
    • Mag'har Madness (Outland) - Garrosh Hellscream
    • Against the Maddened (Outland, Blasted Lands) (Fel Orcs, Mag'har, Blood Elves)
    Undead Campaign Suggestions

• The Birth of the Second Plague (Undercity, Scarlet Monastery, Gilnean Wall, Shadowfang Keep, Dalaran Ruins[ which would be becoming a forsaken outpost] - Puturess
    • Demonic Intent (Undercity, Scarlet Monastery, Shadowfang Keep [ takes place when Varthimas betrays Sylvanas.) - Varthimas
    • Shattering the Savior's Soul (Stratholme, Tyr's Hand, Scholomance, [battle between Kel'Thuzard and Darion Morgraine.] -Kel'Thuzard
    • The Wretched (Ruins of Silvermoon City, New Silvermoon, Ghostlands, Zul'Aman) -King Aladdin of the Wretched
    Night Elf Suggestions

• Wrath of the Illadari (Outland, Blasted Lands, Westfall, Stormwind) - Illadin
    • Depths of Outland (Outland, Terrokar Forest, Auchidon, Black Temple) - Maiev [Maiev's Gurriela Warfare in Outland, her capturing, and her escape.]
    • The Sunken City (Sunken Ruins - Eye of Guldan, Vashjir Plains, Kul'Trias, Balor) -Nashia [Nashia and a small amount of survivors survived the sinking, only to be transformed into the vile naga....]
    • Cenarion Expedition Cenarion Expedition Base, Zul'Farrak, Uldamon) - Natalie
    • Northern Expedition (Grizzly Hills, Borean Tundra, Howling Fjords) - [insert new hero here]
    -------

Just ask and I'll give an in-depth explanation of any of those suggestions.

-------

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  14. phoenixfire

phoenixfire

Resources:
    Resources:
    The races, I believe, will stay the same. I really love your ideas, and if they arn't decided to be implemented I might do some campaign with them when I'm bored and finish some of my current projects.

On a side topic, would you be willing to give me some suggestions for missions once I get some lore out about the current side-project campaign I'm working on? I like to plan things out, and your ideas are inventive.

15. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    the only multiplayer race that is planned to be replaced by now are humans
    --------
    Also remember that this is not wow ..
    this continues directly from the rise of the lich king (arthas in TFT).
    Scarlet crusade is totally Lorelol since in Roc mostly all humans die and in TFT arthas kills the rest . and sylvanas kills the survivors..

the forsaken will have a campaign.
    stormwind will have a campaign
    blood elfs will have a campaign (with nagas).
    night elfs also a campaign
    undead a campaign .
    Horde will have a campaign.

some of factions will have a really small campaign like to show what happened to them
    or if they are still alive. some may have missions inside another ones campaign example:
    stormwind attacks blackrock . next mission you are blackrock and need to destroy stormwind small towns and outposts to be able to attack. and then in next mission you are stormwind again and you Get to defend stormwind for several minutes of the attacking Horde. without being able to build anything just with your actual units and heroes.

also in first page (one of my posts) i posted what will be the order of the campaigns.

--------------
    another note. we've not found yet someone who can do cinematics so i can't start making the complete campaign until we find someone who is skilled with that.
    i think i'm going to ask the dude who made this campaign if he could help (IT'S NOT ASHES OF THE LORD):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j07t-aPeEOU&feature=player_embedded
    or if not i would need to make a thread for one or update the other one asking for people

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  16. phoenixfire

phoenixfire

Resources:
    Resources:
    I can make terrain for cinematics, but I can never really get those right with the cameras/dialog

17. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    yeah me 2 my cinematics suck so hard xD. they move wrong and other stuff.

18. phoenixfire

phoenixfire

Resources:
    Resources:
    Right, I've never actually done a Melee map, so I'll be practicing some more simplistic terrains today. I'm more of a Custom Game/Scenario person :p

19. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    hahaha. melee shouldn't be that hard to do . it's more time than difficulty, on the other hand . i got B2M high quality terrain but what tiles i should replace for his high quality terrain? because editing slk files in editor and making them work and all only for 5 custom tiles isn't that Productive also there are some stuff in slk that i don't understand. i guess theres are a tileset that people don't actually need and i can replace it for it.

20. phoenixfire

phoenixfire

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm sorry, but I don't even know what slk is lol.
    You should decide right now if we're using B2M's and other high-quality terrain tiles or blizzard tiles. Combining them (like having one map have blizzard tiles for a snowy effect, then another have his tiles for a forest effect) will have a drastic change and look horrid in my opinion. I have to study up on melee maps to see which stores are required, proper placement, how to make the map completely symmetrical (i'm not very good at perfect symmetry) and that stuff XD

What map sizes should we use? 64x64 seems too small to me, so I'm guessing 96x96 for 1v1s, 2v2s and then 128x128 for 3v3s and 4v4s, 160x160 for 5v5s and 6v6s? 160x160 is pretty big, but I think 128x128 would be too small for 6v6...