• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WarCom - Multiplayer Mod (Increase Player Limit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated original post with new info & project name

Here's the completed API so far, any have a problem with the names?
JASS:
native NetworkConnect     takes string host, integer port returns nothing
native NetworkUserCount   takes nothing returns integer
native NetworkPing        takes nothing returns real
native IsNetworkConnected takes nothing returns boolean // will probably change to GetNetworkStatus

Last edited:
Level 16
Subscribed, this is really interesting o.o

To see how Warcraft III's modding community can reach this far.

It might partially possible thanks to Ralle! :D

For providing a place for us to work together.

Too bad wc3 is barely alive nowadays though,
If only this was released a few years back ;/

Level 6
this is truly awesome!

I can't wait to try it out :)

not even so much because of the increased player cap but the possibility of having people join and leave mid game opens up some truly epic possibilities!

I will definitely be looking forward to updates on this :)

I know I promised updates but I'm currently away in Seattle but here's what I've got synced so far.
  • Units
  • Chat messages
  • Non-target orders

I'm wondering how much effort it would take to use something like this for a persistent MMO.
Well, quite definitely it will be necessary to put extra care on taking care of leaks.

It would just take a bit more effort than making a regular map.

I think you should make an event like "inwc funmap game". Let people join the hosted/started game.

That doesn't make sense considering you can join the map at anytime.

Although I think I'll be adding a server list and map launcher.

what would i need to know to make a MMORPG specifically for warcom.

All that info will be available when it's ready :)

It won't be much different from making a regular RPG in the World Editor.

I'm also personally working on an (MM)ORPG for WarCom.

Although you will have to get used to the networking API in order to save data on the server and connect.

Here's a basic screenshot. I don't have multiple computers atm so I can't show any real multiplayer but I figured I'd show you guys something.

When I get back home I plan to make a video so just hold tight.

131598d1388046244-warcom-multiplayer-mod-increase-player-limit-warcom.png

Attachments

• warcom.png
    warcom.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 526
Level 19
Can players join at any stage of the game and if yes how does this work with trigger event registration?
Assuming I'm right you always have to register each trigger from 0 to maximum or use an onEnter event to register triggers for joining players.

Correct me please, if my post is complete nonesense. :)

It would be cool if you could handle colors in some specific way like:
- BLUE <- That's you
- RED <- Other players
- GREEN <- Whisper?
- TEAL <- Friend?

Well yeah that's the idea :thumbs_up:

Can players join at any stage of the game and if yes how does this work with trigger event registration?
Assuming I'm right you always have to register each trigger from 0 to maximum or use an onEnter event to register triggers for joining players.

Correct me please, if my post is complete nonesense. :)

You're going to have to code your map a bit differently for certain natives which will cause desyncs. I'll have more info on this once I get farther into development. I'm going to be including natives similar toSyncStoredIntegerwhich will have the potential be much quicker than the current natives.

hmm..

how will you handle say if a player changes his alliance settings..?

You will have to handle that yourself considering if you decide to have multiple teams, they will have to be hardcoded in the map because there's no lobby and not enough player slots.

Level 6
you could have like 4-5 players
enum {
YOU,
ALLIES_SHARED_CONTROL
ALLIES_SHARED_VISION,
ALLIES_NO_VISION,
ENEMIES
}

i dont have a reference at hand atm.. but the colors can be controlled separately and i think there were quite many..
(you could generate some dynamic table based on data from the server so you would not need bloat the map too much.)

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Is it possible to transfer players between maps, i.e. multiplayer campaigns?

Also, I see from the FAQ the limit of players is user-dependent, but is it possible to add more player colors?
Reiterating my question since it went unanswered. I didn't find it in the FAQ =(

With one more question: can we expect something like the function list implemented in JNGP's Trigger Editor?

Level 6
the answer is yes.. you can transfer anything you like between maps.
there is just nothing to stop you ..

Reiterating my question since it went unanswered. I didn't find it in the FAQ =(

With one more question: can we expect something like the function list implemented in JNGP's Trigger Editor?

I'm considering support for map linking but I'm not gonna promise it.

TESH allows you to define your own functions so yeah I'll probably release the .j file.

As for custom player colors you could import a hero glow model and change it's color via triggers, as well as the player name.

I've been sick and busy lately so sorry the inactivity.

Last edited:
No Offense but Sorry, you have no proof that sharp-craft can remove map size limit. You will have to change Game.DLL to do that. SharpCraft works as outer modification that does not affect the inner game's files. It creates it's own files.

SharpCraft Feature List

Plugin system
Adding new natives
Calling old natives
Overriding old natives
Reading mouse terrain coordinates
A OOP approach to JASS types (far from complete)

When I asked you can you remove the black areas from the screen that are behind the UI, you told me that SharpCraft can't do this then it means that SharpCraft can't touch inner files of the game.

Level 21
No Offense but Sorry, you have no proof that sharp-craft can remove map size limit. You will have to change Game.DLL to do that. SharpCraft works as outer modification that does not affect the inner game's files. It creates it's own files.

SharpCraft Feature List

Plugin system
Adding new natives
Calling old natives
Overriding old natives
Reading mouse terrain coordinates
A OOP approach to JASS types (far from complete)

When I asked you can you remove the black areas from the screen that are behind the UI, you told me that SharpCraft can't do this then it means that SharpCraft can't touch inner files of the game.

SharpCraft removes the filesize limit by letting multiplayer games be started in singleplayer. So yes, it uses a different method.

Status
Not open for further replies.