• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WarCom - Multiplayer Mod (Increase Player Limit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WarCom
Extended WC3 Multiplayer

Latest Update

Introduction

Warcraft III is getting old and Battle.net is filled with hosting bots and Dota matches. You join a room only to wait endlessly until the match is filled and the host(bot) begins the map. The game isn't quite like it used to be and it seems Blizzard wont be doing much, if any more patches even though wc3 is still exploitable. So with this being the case I've decided to take on a project that will extend the game's multiplayer capabilities, entitled "WarCom". The main focus of the project is to extend the player count and remove the need for pre-hosted games, although those are not the only benefits.

Features
  • Increased player count.
  • No need for pre-hosted games.
  • MySQL functionality to save data on the server (characters).
  • No size limit on maps.
  • Map verification.

This means that a mmo-type game or even an online competitive mutliplayer map with stats is now possible. The need for save and load codes will be gone and not to mention all of the capabilities of SharpCraft itself. Almost anything will be possible in Warcraft III modding.

How does it work?

The download will include a server executable which must be ran in order for people to play your map online. Map makers will have access to all new JASS natives that will allow them to communicate with the server.

Players will download and start your map just as they would any other except through the SharpCraft executable instead of war3.exe. Locate the game in single player mode and start the map. All other players and units will be synced to your game once the map starts and hopefully all of it will be handled internally unlike the previous version of this project.

FAQ
  • How many players can it support?
    That completely depends on your internet speed and how much network traffic your map causes. If you're serious about the mod you're making than you can find some server hosting that could support potentially hundreds of players. DigitalOcean provides hosting for $5 a month.
  • Could I make an MMO?
    It's possible. One on the smaller scale is much more likely.
  • Can my map be bigger than 8mb?
    Yes, the size limit won't matter anymore.
  • Does it work for the latest version of wc3
    Yes and it can be configured for other versions as well.
  • I only use GUI, can I make a map with WarCom?
    Currently yes, but it will require a little bit of JASS.

Old Screenshots

WarCom is only possible because of SharpCraft, a managed replacement for Reinventing the Craft. I would especially like to thank MindWorX for all of his hard work on such a great tool.

Last edited:
Wow awesome! It is really nice to have someone working on this again. :)

Can't wait for the video!

EDIT: iirc the main "patch-specific" thing dealt with memory addresses that needed to be updated per-patch. I could be wrong though. You should look at the stopwatch natives thread in wc3c, it might have some info on it. Otherwise you can always try messaging SFilip on thehelper, AFAIK he still lurks there.

Level 22
TriggerHappy, I hope you can do something about those memory addresses.

Edit: Looks like we can't ask SFilip: Last Activity: 07-17-2011 05:40 PM

Level 14
Why wasn't something like this created 5-6 years ago.

It was created before, but nobody used it. The great thing about warcraft3 maps is that with Battle.net you have a platform where you can easily reach thousands of players. With a standalone game or a map that cant use Battle.net you will always have problems finding players...

Sorry, nice work but im skeptical that anyone will use it.

Yeah, I understand patch 1.26 is a must for release which is a while away, so for now don't worry about it. It shouldn't be too hard to fix (and there's plenty of time for the original RtC devs to message me back).

Anyway I've made a lot of progress since yesterday, I will be posting a video within the next few days (hopefully a live test, not LAN).

Also, in single player the game can be paused and cheats are enabled, so I'm considering making it only available in LAN mode (still single player), any comments on that?

EDIT:

moyack said:
That, would require a total rework of RtC.

I doubt that.

EDIT 2: I forgot RtC has a localized config file with NoCheat and NoPause options, I can just check to make sure those are enabled.

Last edited:
Level 22
I guess it's better to have it on LAN only, less things to worry about.

Last edited:
Level 20
fry-money.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 23
It was created before, but nobody used it. The great thing about warcraft3 maps is that with Battle.net you have a platform where you can easily reach thousands of players. With a standalone game or a map that cant use Battle.net you will always have problems finding players...

Sorry, nice work but im skeptical that anyone will use it.

this.

Guys, guys.
This existed long ago and people used it.
Then MindWorx and SFilip stopped working on it and they didn't hand out the source (yet, I asked)

Is the source code available?
No, it isn't. It might become at some later time though.

Well TriggerHappy, if you're at it you can also fix grimoire (https://svn.code.sf.net/p/w3grimoire/code/), at least for that the source is available. (stuff like war3err and so on :) )

In the end the hurdle for the "common player" persists.
This was already the problem with projects that forced a mod.exe on every member to avoid the (old) 4MB size limit.
Most people won't do that and/or are too lazy.

Mouse natives are nice, but FPS-maps suffer from the model-disappearing bug with cameras in wc3.

Level 5
So is this the RtC mod that you guys are talking about? or something else? I'm testing it out on a map by importing "common.j" to my map and changing the directory name to Scripts/Common.j. I have DLed the RtC 1.0 and it works only with 1.24e beyond that i don't know how to get it to work like intended...

Level 22
I think you need to add it to a certain dll file (your custom native) that the hack injects to warcraft when it's running.

Level 9
For me, I left it in patch 1.24 by the following factor. Many maps stopped working after this patch. Not being able to play my (non create by me) Pyramid Escape, who spent hours playing with random. And the Anime Fight, which was my second favorite map (first the DotA), which has versions that worked to play.

Your idea is revolutionary yes you, and can make Warcraft 3 be back played much.

However, I wanted that working up with DotA current, because I would abandoning the DotA 2. The models of Warcraft 3 are more pleasant to me, yet.

Level 22
TriggerHappy said he was working on making this usable on the latest patch, so no worries.

Level 9
TriggerHappy said he was working on making this usable on the latest patch, so no worries.

I had read.

But is that one day, the RPG of Warcraft vain change these modes of save the hero with "-save"?

Will these hacks do not have to do with the story with a patch, that allowing maps with viruses? Soon after, the Blizzard made ​​a patch only to remove it, taking the incompatibility with old maps?

Level 22
Will these hacks do not have to do with the story with a patch, that allowing maps with viruses? Soon after, the Blizzard made ​​a patch only to remove it, taking the incompatibility with old maps?
Not related to RtC. TriggerHappy is trying to make it work on the latest patch, blizzard already fixed that in the latest patch. Or just use an anti-virus.

But is that one day, the RPG of Warcraft vain change these modes of save the hero with "-save"?
Dunno, maybe custom natives for file I/O for files saves. Depends.

Blizzard will not patch the game because of RtC.
They would only patch it when there's a vulnerability in the actual game.

You can make a virus with the preload natives for years now, still no update.

how exactly do you create new natives? i mean it can't be as simple as something like open common.j then type up "native GetMouseX" then voila it works in world editor? this project has a lot of potential (and yes i was also aware of its existence since 2010)

You have to code them with the nAPI that Sfilip has given us.

There's a link to it in the OP.

I will be adding data saving/load features.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I'm really interested where this goes, if it's still being worked on. Being able to run your own MMO map would be fun as hell. I suppose the 8 Mb Bnet limit will be lifter via this system?

Level 21
Or a database Id, but that would require an account.

I guess it would work if each player just used their ingame name. If multiple people have the same name, then they must have separate IP.
If not, then one of them can't connect.
This should be easy enough, I hope.

Would be even better if somehow each computer had a separate ID. Don't want to base it on MAC codes though.

Status
Not open for further replies.