• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War3 Model Editor

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
//MOD EDIT// - PLEASE CHECK "UPDATE 2" below before posting if you have ISSUES USING MAGOS

This Model Editor is not made by me, but is made by Magos.

War3 Model Editor is as the name suggests a Model Viewer and a Model Editor dedicated to Warcraft 3. It supports both loading and saving of .mdl and .mdx model formats which are used in Warcraft 3. It also supports .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp texture formats.

There is a built-in MPQ Browser that allows you to browse any MPQ archive, which also includes Warcraft 3 map files (.w3m and .w3x). The MPQ Browser has been optimized for speed and is very fast to load and use. The Browser is customizable so you can add/remove your own icons and filters.

Features

* Model Viewer
* Model Editor
* Geoset Importing/Exporting
* Can save/load the model formats *.mdl and *.mdx
* Can save/load the texture formats .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp
* Can import other model formats (importers stored in DLLs)
* Ability to convert between the model formats
* Ability to convert between the texture formats
* MPQ Browser (very fast loading)
* Support for custom listfiles
* Support for custom MPQ filters & icons

Extras

* Loading Screen Creator
* A tool to create colored text for Warcraft 3

Supported Importers

* md2 (Quake 2)
* ms3d (Milkshape)

UPDATE 1 //by Rui​

Hey people, it's Rui. I have updated the tool to v1.07 and added some keywords for searching. Enjoy!

UPDATE 2 //by Khyrberos​

In recent years, both with modern OSes & with Reforged, W3ME might require a few adjustments to work properly.

(Made redundant by update 3)
One common issue over the years was missing DLLs; as described in this post by Hero_Lief and this message by Pyf, the DirectX Installer can be downloaded here. (Alternatively, as Hermit describes here, you can Google & download the specific file 'd3dx_9.dll' needed by W3ME.)

(Doesn't apply to beta v1.08)
A new issue with 1.30+ is its use of the CASC data system, replacing the old MPQ system. As described by Hermit in this post, you will need to have/find a copy of the old MPQs & put them where War3 Model Editor can find them in order for it to work properly. It appears 1.28 files work the best in v1.07

UPDATE 3 //by BogdanW3​

The v1.07 zip has been repacked to include the dll needed to make it run without having to install the DirectX runtime, thank you to @Dr Super Good for noting that that's the proper way to do things now with deprecation of Direct3D9 taking place.

You can now also download a new version, v1.08 beta, which was updated by me (@BogdanW3) and has some nice new, albeit still to be thoroughly tested, features:

* Edit texture paths directly from the textures window (no need for MDL for this)
* Support for v1000 (1.32) and v1100 (1.33, only loading for now) SD MDX models
* DDS texture support
* Hierarchical loading of textures (a texture referenced as tga in a model will no longer fail to load if the file is for example blp)
* Loading assets from CASC (no CASC browser at this time due to library limitations)
* 24 team colours
* Replaceable IDs 36 and 37, as well as a few more event objects are added from entries in the game data (thank you @Hermit)
* And more!

Feel free to contact me if there's any bugs or regressions you wish to report. MagosX has given me permission to post it, so I would like to thank him for that as well as making a great model editor with a very readable codebase!
This version currently works best with 1.29 MPQs or 1.31+ CASC.
Requires the 64-bit Visual C++ 2015 runtime.

PS, applies to all versions of W3ME:​

To set up the War3 Model Editor to load data (be it MPQs, or CASC in v1.08) from a specific folder, you will want to set up the string Registry value InstallPath in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\ to point to the Warcraft 3 data folder you wish to use.
For a more step-by-step explanation, check this comment by StormKnight.

Keywords:
warcraft, 3, III, magos, w3me, editor, model, war3, wc3, mdx
Contents

War3 Model Editor v1.07 (Binary)

War3 Model Editor v1.08 (64-bit, beta) (Binary)

Reviews
PurplePoot: Approved for extreme usefulness, whether as a mapper or a modeler.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
it says that d3dx9_35.dll could not be found is there any fix for it? (running win 10)
You need to install the DirectX 9.0c Runtime for XP / Server 2003. Some of its files (including d3dx9_35.dll) are not included in Windows Vista/7/8.x/10.

The easiest way to do so is to download and run the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer:
Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center

This is what I have already written in this post on page 50 of this thread.
:thumbs_down:

Level 9
You need to install the DirectX 9.0c Runtime for XP / Server 2003. Some of its files (including d3dx9_35.dll) are not included in Windows Vista/7/8.x/10.

The easiest way to do so is to download and run the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer:
Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center

This is what I have already written in this post on page 50 of this thread.
:thumbs_down:

thanks that helped!
sorry to have you double post it, i did only read the last 2 pages to look for recent posts.

Level 8
Sigh. I have been trying to figure out how to fix this. I couldn't find anything in this post that related to my problem I am having. I haven't work on my models for a long while, and until WC3 finally updated new version, and then I came back to play WC3 again, and decided to work on my models again, and after WC3 updated new version, my model editor is not working properly now. I don't know what I am missing. The problem is this black thing. Also, I am trying to open a Knight human model mdx from WC3 to edit a Knight. But, there's no Knight found in the list. When I open anything in this folder, it popped and says error. It couldn't load the mdx model. What the heck happened to this model editor? Looks like I don't have War3.mpq and War3x.mpq in my model editor folder anymore. I guess that is the problem? Where can I get them back from WC3? I guess I get old copy of WC3 files from WC3 CD key downloading on computer without online preventing from 1.30 version trying to remove MPQ files itself?

Attachments

• ModelEditor1.png
    ModelEditor1.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 138
  • ModelEditor2.png
    ModelEditor2.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Level 15
Sigh. I have been trying to figure out how to fix this. I couldn't find anything in this post that related to my problem I am having. I haven't work on my models for a long while, and until WC3 finally updated new version, and then I came back to play WC3 again, and decided to work on my models again, and after WC3 updated new version, my model editor is not working properly now. I don't know what I am missing. The problem is this black thing. Also, I am trying to open a Knight human model mdx from WC3 to edit a Knight. But, there's no Knight found in the list. When I open anything in this folder, it popped and says error. It couldn't load the mdx model. What the heck happened to this model editor? Looks like I don't have War3.mpq and War3x.mpq in my model editor folder anymore. I guess that is the problem? Where can I get them back from WC3?

Try this: Magos' War3 Model Editor - WC3 Modding Information Center

Level 8
Yeah. I just figured it out, but now I am working on how to get it from old WC3 files, because my WC3 is updated to 1.30 version and itself has been removed MPQ files I think. I guess I have to download from old WC3 CD key I have it in my closest on computer without online preventing from having 1.30 version that trying to remove MPQ files? So I can find war3.mpq and war3x.mpq from old WC3 files?

Level 9
This program was always serving me very well. But, on my new computer, it's manifesting the error about splatdata.txt and doesn't work. After after trial and failure method I was able to run this program, but then again, it came out I can't open any file.
I had to download another program, it is working and seems better (but it's much more newer, so this is understandable).

My rating is 3/5. If not about the matter sometimes people have issue running it, it would be probably 5/5.

Level 6
Did you try to select the MPQ manually ?
In the MPQ Browser : File > « Open MPQ Archive » and find your MPQ.
If that doesn't work/you already tried, is your MPQ legit ? (If you downloaded one that you found on the internet because you didn't save your MPQs after updating War3, it might be corrupted)

Level 2
Did you try to select the MPQ manually ?
In the MPQ Browser : File > « Open MPQ Archive » and find your MPQ.
If that doesn't work/you already tried, is your MPQ legit ? (If you downloaded one that you found on the internet because you didn't save your MPQs after updating War3, it might be corrupted)
I've tried that, and yes I have the real Warcraft 3. I don't know what is happening.

Level 1
I've been looking on this thread for days, and cant find any problem looks like mine...

I can't get War3 Model Editor to run, I have no idea why...
After I download it from HIVE, the program asked for DirectX dll files, so I add it and now this happen...

war3weerror.png

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, please help...

edit:
I had tried (one by one and all of them at once):
  • Run as administrator
  • Run in compatibility mode: Windows XP Service Pack 3
  • Disabling visual themes
  • Disabling desktop compositions
  • Disabled scaling on high DPI settings

Last edited:
Level 1
I've been looking on this thread for days, and cant find any problem looks like mine...

After I download it from HIVE, the program asked for DirectX dll files, so I add it and now this happen...

View attachment 349879

edit:
  • Run as administrator

I have a similar problem too.

Level 28
Whenever a DLL is missing, you can always google the name of that DLL and see if you can download it somewhere. In this case it is DirectX 9 drivers. When you find it, try putting it in the same folder as the program and run.
I downloaded the d3dx9_35.dll but this time it tells me that "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)", any idea what it means?

Sounds like a generic error. One thing i know you need though is to have the war3.mpq and war3x.mpq files in your warcraft installation folder for this program to run. Blizzard did away with MPQ in favour of CASC in an earlier update, and that kinda broke compatibility with this tool unless you can find these files in an old install.

Level 28
Sounds like a generic error. One thing i know you need though is to have the war3.mpq and war3x.mpq files in your warcraft installation folder for this program to run. Blizzard did away with MPQ in favour of CASC in an earlier update, and that kinda broke compatibility with this tool unless you can find these files in an old install.
I'm still having the same error after I got the mpq files :(

Level 1
Hey One problem I downloaded the .DLL file but the application failed to run... Please PM me if theres something to download or do again!

pyf

pyf

Level 32

View attachment 349879

edit:
  • Run as administrator
I have a similar problem too.
I'm having this error that says "The code execution cannot proceed because d3dx9_35.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem", yet when I reinstalled it this message still pops up, can anyone help? I'm using a windows 10
^ I had the same thing the other day, apparently I'd gotten the 64-bit version of the dll instead of 32. Try getting the 32 version and putting it in the same folder as Magos.
Hey One problem I downloaded the .DLL file but the application failed to run... Please PM me if theres something to download or do again!

It is depressing how history repeats itself from year to year...
:slp:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
... or perhaps people viewing this thread should type "d3dx9_35.dll" (without the quotes) or anything similar in our Search feature, click the box labelled "Search this thread only", and then hit that big green "Search / Find now" button.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
... or perhaps people viewing this thread should type "d3dx9_35.dll" (without the quotes) or anything similar in our Search feature, click the box labelled "Search this thread only", and then hit that big green "Search / Find now" button.
People should take the habit of doing it always imho. Else, what would our Search feature be for?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Because who would even care to read it?

Here are the search results when one types 'd3dx9_35' for this thread
Search Results for Query: d3dx9_35 | HIVE

... and here are the ones for '0xc000007b':
Search Results for Query: 0xc000007b | HIVE
... which ofc should never happen, unless one copies directly the wrong dlls from somewhere
I'm not sure what you mean. AFAIK people always read the first post and/or page (even if only to make sure the question they're asking (i.e. the reason they came to that thread in the first place) is being asked/answered). So a Pinned post of an edited first post would, I imagine, be read all the time.