//MOD EDIT// - PLEASE CHECK "UPDATE 2" below before posting if you have ISSUES USING MAGOS
This Model Editor is not made by me, but is made by Magos.
War3 Model Editor is as the name suggests a Model Viewer and a Model Editor dedicated to Warcraft 3. It supports both loading and saving of .mdl and .mdx model formats which are used in Warcraft 3. It also supports .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp texture formats.
There is a built-in MPQ Browser that allows you to browse any MPQ archive, which also includes Warcraft 3 map files (.w3m and .w3x). The MPQ Browser has been optimized for speed and is very fast to load and use. The Browser is customizable so you can add/remove your own icons and filters.
* Model Viewer
* Model Editor
* Geoset Importing/Exporting
* Can save/load the model formats *.mdl and *.mdx
* Can save/load the texture formats .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp
* Can import other model formats (importers stored in DLLs)
* Ability to convert between the model formats
* Ability to convert between the texture formats
* MPQ Browser (very fast loading)
* Support for custom listfiles
* Support for custom MPQ filters & icons
* Loading Screen Creator
* A tool to create colored text for Warcraft 3
* md2 (Quake 2)
* ms3d (Milkshape)
UPDATE 1 //by Rui
Hey people, it's Rui. I have updated the tool to v1.07 and added some keywords for searching. Enjoy!
UPDATE 2 //by Khyrberos
In recent years, both with modern OSes & with Reforged, W3ME might require a few adjustments to work properly.
(Made redundant by update 3)
One common issue over the years was missing DLLs; as described in this post by Hero_Lief and this message by Pyf, the DirectX Installer can be downloaded here. (Alternatively, as Hermit describes here, you can Google & download the specific file 'd3dx_9.dll' needed by W3ME.)
(Doesn't apply to beta v1.08)
A new issue with 1.30+ is its use of the CASC data system, replacing the old MPQ system. As described by Hermit in this post, you will need to have/find a copy of the old MPQs & put them where War3 Model Editor can find them in order for it to work properly. It appears 1.28 files work the best in v1.07
UPDATE 3 //by BogdanW3
The v1.07 zip has been repacked to include the dll needed to make it run without having to install the DirectX runtime, thank you to @Dr Super Good for noting that that's the proper way to do things now with deprecation of Direct3D9 taking place.
You can now also download a new version, v1.08 beta, which was updated by me (@BogdanW3) and has some nice new, albeit still to be thoroughly tested, features:
* Edit texture paths directly from the textures window (no need for MDL for this)
* Support for v1000 (1.32) and v1100 (1.33, only loading for now) SD MDX models
* DDS texture support
* Hierarchical loading of textures (a texture referenced as tga in a model will no longer fail to load if the file is for example blp)
* Loading assets from CASC (no CASC browser at this time due to library limitations)
* 24 team colours
* Replaceable IDs 36 and 37, as well as a few more event objects are added from entries in the game data (thank you @Hermit)
* And more!
Feel free to contact me if there's any bugs or regressions you wish to report. MagosX has given me permission to post it, so I would like to thank him for that as well as making a great model editor with a very readable codebase!
This version currently works best with 1.29 MPQs or 1.31+ CASC. Requires the 64-bit Visual C++ 2015 runtime.
PS, applies to all versions of W3ME:
To set up the War3 Model Editor to load data (be it MPQs, or CASC in v1.08) from a specific folder, you will want to set up the string Registry value InstallPath in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\ to point to the Warcraft 3 data folder you wish to use.
For a more step-by-step explanation, check this comment by StormKnight.