• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War of the Ancients Trilogy ((Based on the book))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
wow yo crazy...lol
>.<
anyways i said i wasnt going to work on it...but i just couldnt resist i kept adding stuff and when i got done i saw i added a whole butt load to the forest creatures >.<

Level 9
This sadly sounds a bit like Defense of the Ancients, it maybe scared one person away - I've seen it in the product category when I bought Reign of Chaos.

Level 5
lol u did!!!
and uhm defense of the ancients?
never heard of that...but this is based off of all three books...im deciding whether to have them all in the same campaign or 3 different campaigns...as of right now im more on the side of just making them all in same campaign....but im not sure if i can make enough maps to tell the whole thing... :/
I put ... or !? after every sentence because...well i dont know i just do :D

Level 11
lol, youve never heard of DOTA? unlikely story. anyways, i noticed that your models are that of WoW.....i may be wrong, but it is my understanding that you are not allowed to release a map with WoW models imputted into it.....i may be crazy, but yea.

Level 5
lol yea...Tauer speaks the truth...and i think i may not have heard of Dota because i dont really play custom games much in bnet...
but i mean...i have HEARD of it...i just havent played it...heard its pretty gay..

Level 28
What punwisp is probably trying to point out is that this thread becomes a placeholder for a private discussion often without offering any progress info about the project. We're on the eighth page and all I kow so far is that you're planning to do a campaign and are looking for people to help you. Also, as it was already pointed out, WotA is epic. VERY epic. In many people's eyes it's a bit too big too be turned into a fitting campaign, but that's up to discussion (probably on a different thread).

it is my understanding that people are usually more willing to help when you show that you can get things done right on your side first. I would first and foremost focus on the campaign layout. How many maps? What does each map have to offer? Then do the maps one by one. Terrain and triggers. Forget the shiny models. They are just eye-candy.

I'm always interested in other peoples' projecs that are based around books and I wanted to give my sincere opinion about the professionalism of the project presentation so far. I you asked me how long it would take a dedicated, highly motivated and time-effiecient mapmaker to create a campaign out of WotA I would probably say more than two years. Project-underestimation has always been a big factor, especially with multi-map-projects.

I'm not trying to get anyone's hopes down. Everything has to start from somewhere. I'm sure it can be done.

Level 5
uhm...things...are done.... :/

Demo isnt out yet only becausie there is no Krasus Rhonin model ect...
and without those a fitting demo wouldnt be right...
the reason why no more screenshots out right now is because i am working on laptop a bit which doesnt have a photo editor...so...but yes things are done...
Zin-Ashari is also 98% done...
2 maps are in completion all that is left are some minor triggers and voice acting of course models but those can wait...
i do not search for models because my understanding is that Tauer will make some which is very....very.....very....helpful...

Edit: This WILL NOT be done in a month...this project will take much much time to plan..complete...review...test...do those steps over again and try to get people to have the FULL effect of the book...trust me when i say...it will be well done....well thought of...and hopefully worth making....if i cannot fit all of what i want to in one campaign ((which i think is most likely)) then there would have to be multiple campaigns eh?
I am also thinking of doing 3 campaigns...each for each book...that a good idea?

Last edited:
Level 28
uhm...things...are done.... :/

Demo isnt out yet only becausie there is no Krasus Rhonin model ect...
and without those a fitting demo wouldnt be right...
the reason why no more screenshots out right now is because i am working on laptop a bit which doesnt have a photo editor...so...but yes things are done...
Zin-Ashari is also 98% done...
2 maps are in completion all that is left are some minor triggers and voice acting of course models but those can wait...
i do not search for models because my understanding is that Tauer will make some which is very....very.....very....helpful...

Edit: This WILL NOT be done in a month...this project will take much much time to plan..complete...review...test...do those steps over again and try to get people to have the FULL effect of the book...trust me when i say...it will be well done....well thought of...and hopefully worth making....if i cannot fit all of what i want to in one campaign ((which i think is most likely)) then there would have to be multiple campaigns eh?
I am also thinking of doing 3 campaigns...each for each book...that a good idea?

Sounds good. I can't tell you about the amount of maps or campaigns you should do. I feel that squeezing too much into one smaller project doesn't do the epic story justice, but it's much better than getting out of it exhausted, and maybe one day without the motivation to finish it. Or you could always concentrate on finishing the first book first and then deciding on how to approach with the other books. If you get one campaign right you'll have an excellent basis to build upon. You may recycle maps, or triggers, definitely art.

What I would do is
1.try to analyze the events in the book and seperate them into playable scenarios and cinematic-only events.
2.create a coherent structure. like "intro-map, playable chapters 1-6, interludium-map, chapters 7-10, interludium-map, chapters 11-13, outro-map"
3. remove unnecessary plotlines, tweak their timelines or add new ones to support your gameplay. squeeze your project as much as possible. make it as small as possible.

Level 5
UPDATE:
Well of Eternity Half-Fast pics
**Full view of Well will be coming soon**
WellofEternity1.jpg

Eternity2.jpg

Eternity3.jpg

Eternity4.jpg

Level 5
Well...Tauer died i think...and Bwathke.. i think he died..but anyways...
I got the well of eternity done..the bones are done for most of the maps now...
all that is left is some good night elven soldiers models and some other models...
however i doubt anyone here would be generous enough to make so many models that this may require...'cept Tauer but he died :D

Level 5
lol >.<
im going to add more to it reallly soon...
that was just made half-fast but...it will be coming soon :D
ughhh i think im sick though :(

Level 5
OMG....!!!!!!!!
WTF??????
Anway...that terrain from Tauer looks nice...but he needs to make one for the cliff because..it looks well...awkward..

Level 2
haha >_< ...lol haha

hm.. the story takes place in kalimdor. why do you use sunken ruins tileset and not ashenvale?

Level 5
Because ashenvale does not have the things that is required for this...not to mention Sunken Ruins has the closest type of tileset to Zin-Azshari...the Sunken Ruins were part of Kalimdor at one time...they WERE what the night elves used to build things...and Tauer is fixing up the tilesets for me...besides im using two tilesets...Ashenvale and Sunken Ruins together...
Also at this time there was only one druid...Malfurion
All others were mages or swordsmen...which is why i need night elf male soldiers...not females..
:D
Have you ever read the books?

Level 5
Okay, for this week im tied up with a movie and actor class so i might be making these maps a lil slower...but i will still work on it in the time that i have left over...i get out of those clases at like 2:30 pm EST. and then get home from those around 3... :D

Level 5
Okay finally!
power has been out for almost a week!
im finally back..
some of the stuff for the campaign was totally whiped tho..
ive been working frantically to get back what was only in my memory..
i think i got just bout all of it.

Level 5
Well we lost power...and some of the campaign is missing!!
i have to remake a lot of this stuff by scratch...luckily there was some that survived that i can base the others on...yay :D
but now im all screwed up on where i am...i am thinking about just scrapping the maps and starting alll over again...what do you think?

Level 5
on the maps...i dont need a whole new concept...its just the way the maps are in order is just spotty...it will take months to sort out which goes where...so i am just going to start over again..may use some of the maps if i can figure where they go...anyway this may be my last time on hive as internet will be shut off...but this wont be dead because i will still be working on it when internet is shut off
luckily you dont need internet to do worldeditor :D
so...bye :D
hope to be back soon :D
tata

Status
Not open for further replies.