• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

User Rank Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Since we achieve ranks we should also be able to go footman or archer or ghoul instead of grunt and peasant or wisp or acolyte instead of peon.

Something that could've been cool is if this rank system was configured by what you answered as "Favorite race". For example, default would then be Orc.
Orc -> Peon, Grunt, something else.
ect.

Also, Goblin isn't an option there, why is that? ;C

I'm not particularly a fan of the idea of having any higher levels after grunt, what's important to note that number of posts is -not- reflective of how much of a positive force you have been for the site. While -typically- those who've had the greater positive force have more posts than the others, there are exceptions where people have done much more than their post counts reflect.

Personally, I'm more for the notion of leave it where it is at 100 you become grunt and leave it at that, further endorsement to post more, while making the site potentially more active, would not necessarily increase the amount of people making useful posts, and we may get more "garbage" posts where people are posting for the sake of increasing their post count, and could cause political divide between people on who's posts are more "valid" based on their icon. Which is already done to an extent by the rep feature - but ofc only by those who care about rep, and I imagine further levels will add to that.

Level 26
I'm not particularly a fan of the idea of having any higher levels after grunt, what's important to note that number of posts is -not- reflective of how much of a positive force you have been for the site. While -typically- those who've had the greater positive force have more posts than the others, there are exceptions where people have done much more than their post counts reflect.

Personally, I'm more for the notion of leave it where it is at 100 you become grunt and leave it at that, further endorsement to post more, while making the site potentially more active, would not necessarily increase the amount of people making useful posts, and we may get more "garbage" posts where people are posting for the sake of increasing their post count, and could cause political divide between people on who's posts are more "valid" based on their icon. Which is already done to an extent by the rep feature - but ofc only by those who care about rep, and I imagine further levels will add to that.

That's why my suggestion was to add rep as a requirement. Normally, you wouldn't get that much rep if your post has no actual value and if this person keeps posting posts that hint at it being spam, they'll get neg-repped.

A more active community would stimulate the community, potentially increasing it, which in turn may create these useful posts that you speak of.

The icons themselves do nothing more than satisfy the member. Which is a good thing, a happy member will boost the reputation of the whole site. I'm not talking about reputation points, but actual reputation. As Ralle pointed out, he wanted a friendly community and if it had to be small to be that, he would be okay with that. Personally, some things are still under lockdown, but I feel that the community is healing.

Besides, if your sole focus has been submitting resources and not being in the forum, I doubt that you really care if your icon is a peon or a grunt. :p

Although, this would probably give moderators a slight bit more of work. Anyhow, I find the ideas in this thread interesting. ;D

That's why my suggestion was to add rep as a requirement. Normally, you wouldn't get that much rep if your post has no actual value and if this person keeps posting posts that hint at it being spam, they'll get neg-repped.

I've noticed people with some to even considerable amounts of rep without being particularly helpful but primarily focusing on being funny, Also for the rep to be proportional enough to posts for the rep to be "sufficient" most people even now with 1,500 posts would not meet what I'd consider a minimum, but that's my opinion, I also think it's important to note the difference in distribution of rep on the site, depending on your subject of work, you have a tendency to get different amounts of rep for it, which could generate an unfairness in that particular resource makers have to work harder to get the same bonuses.

MiniMage said:
A more active community would stimulate the community, potentially increasing it, which in turn may create these useful posts that you speak of.

And is just as likely to create many more useless posts than useful ones, and we want the reverse.

MiniMage said:
The icons themselves do nothing more than satisfy the member. Which is a good thing, a happy member will boost the reputation of the whole site. I'm not talking about reputation points, but actual reputation. As Ralle pointed out, he wanted a friendly community and if it had to be small to be that, he would be okay with that. Personally, some things are still under lockdown, but I feel that the community is healing.

I inclined to disagree, on the first section of this anyway, it's quite reasonable to assume a newer member will value the opinion of somebody with a "higher up" icon much more so than somebody with a lower-down one, naturally this already happens with moderators as such because in terms of resources, it's their opinion which "matters" the most, and are generally more respected, due to their position. I consider it possible for this effect to be also generated by icons, so I believe they would do more than just that.

MiniMage said:
Besides, if your sole focus has been submitting resources and not being in the forum, I doubt that you really care if your icon is a peon or a grunt. :p

We can't rely on doubts and what we expect people to behave like for a change to the site.

Personally if I had way this feature wouldn't have been implemented at all to the site, I don't think it was a good move or generally a smart idea. Though that's probably because I look for political agendas in practically everything, and feel it complicates things when there's really no reason to.

Level 26
I've noticed people with some to even considerable amounts of rep without being particularly helpful but primarily focusing on being funny, Also for the rep to be proportional enough to posts for the rep to be "sufficient" most people even now with 1,500 posts would not meet what I'd consider a minimum, but that's my opinion, I also think it's important to note the difference in distribution of rep on the site, depending on your subject of work, you have a tendency to get different amounts of rep for it, which could generate an unfairness in that particular resource makers have to work harder to get the same bonuses.
This seems more like a personal conflict on what you define to be reputation. I define reputation as something you grant another when you deem them worthy, positive repuation. A funny guy would have the positive repuation as a funny guy.

And is just as likely to create many more useless posts than useful ones, and we want the reverse.
Define useful for me, please. The focus isn't simply to be used, it's to be a warm and welcoming community. I do believe that was the goal, we are however a modding site, but as we are all on differing places on the scale when it comes to modding, not all will find all comments that helpful and not all will look at a post the same.

I inclined to disagree, on the first section of this anyway, it's quite reasonable to assume a newer member will value the opinion of somebody with a "higher up" icon much more so than somebody with a lower-down one, naturally this already happens with moderators as such because in terms of resources, it's their opinion which "matters" the most, and are generally more respected, due to their position. I consider it possible for this effect to be also generated by icons, so I believe they would do more than just that.
I disagree that people judge others by rank, although that may just be me, correct me if I am wrong. I will agree with the one I find the most helpful, not the one who is higher up the ladder of command, that's kinda why most of the older moderators didn't like me, I think. People don't judge by their rank, they look at what they have done. If you get advice from an experienced modeler, which is useful, you'll accept the advice. If you see that this person has no submitted models, but has helped multiple people, you know that this is a person who is very interested in modeling, but haven't really gotten into it yet. Critiques however, is something I analyze very closely, mostly because most people haven't realized that critiques is about pointing out the good and the bad and how to improve it. On that matter, no rank or previous act will matter, only your communication skills will make me feel if your post has a value or not.

We can't rely on doubts and what we expect people to behave like for a change to the site.
That was just a figure of speech. What I meant was that if they truly feel that they need this specific icon to make their post worthwhile to read, they'll probably invest more time in the forum.

Personally if I had way this feature wouldn't have been implemented at all to the site, I don't think it was a good move or generally a smart idea. Though that's probably because I look for political agendas in practically everything, and feel it complicates things when there's really no reason to.
Take a deep breath and trust the members to make the right choices. To build and heal a new community, you need a warm welcome and trust. I think this little concept would work out pretty well.

This seems more like a personal conflict on what you define to be reputation. I define reputation as something you grant another when you deem them worthy, positive repuation. A funny guy would have the positive repuation as a funny guy.

Yes, it would be, since I don't give a positive reputation personally to such people. I'm more of the opinion that being funny though, is not something one should recieve reputation points for. But again this is personal preference.

MiniMage said:
Define useful for me, please. The focus isn't simply to be used, it's to be a warm and welcoming community. I do believe that was the goal, we are however a modding site, but as we are all on differing places on the scale when it comes to modding, not all will find all comments that helpful and not all will look at a post the same.

I'd define useful as pretaining to some constructive critique, and if none could be thought of, their comment of how good they think something of or similar ilk would be more beneficial in VMs rather than actual posts, since that just puts spam-posts in a thread and then makes it clogged from things which are beneficial to the resource, other useful posts would also include linking to tutorials when necessary, and giving reviews. Naturally we will always have posts on people simply saying "5/5 + rep" type posts, however I do not consider them useful in the slightest. Again, a personal value. And naturally they're not the only example of these "useless" posts.

MiniMage said:
I disagree that people judge others by rank, although that may just be me, correct me if I am wrong. I will agree with the one I find the most helpful, not the one who is higher up the ladder of command, that's kinda why most of the older moderators didn't like me, I think. People don't judge by their rank, they look at what they have done. If you get advice from an experienced modeler, which is useful, you'll accept the advice. If you see that this person has no submitted models, but has helped multiple people, you know that this is a person who is very interested in modeling, but haven't really gotten into it yet. Critiques however, is something I analyze very closely, mostly because most people haven't realized that critiques is about pointing out the good and the bad and how to improve it. On that matter, no rank or previous act will matter, only your communication skills will make me feel if your post has a value or not.

From what I've understood of the human race and our behaviour throughout history, I'm more inclined to believe they do myself.

MiniMage said:
That was just a figure of speech. What I meant was that if they truly feel that they need this specific icon to make their post worthwhile to read, they'll probably invest more time in the forum.

I imagine more of an ideal of wanting to be "higher up" rather than making their posts worthwhile, in addition to actually putting themselves where they "should" be, considering a person with few posts can very easily be a stronger positive force than one with many.

MiniMage said:
Take a deep breath and trust the members to make the right choices. To build and heal a new community, you need a warm welcome and trust. I think this little concept would work out pretty well.

They'll have my trust when they earn it, I find mistrust more reliable for such matters.

Level 26
Naturally we will always have posts on people simply saying "5/5 + rep" type posts, however I do not consider them useful in the slightest. Again, a personal value. And naturally they're not the only example of these "useless" posts.
Not very helpful, true. But it makes you feel better when you submit something.
Like someone patting you on the back and telling you, well done.

I imagine more of an ideal of wanting to be "higher up" rather than making their posts worthwhile, in addition to actually putting themselves where they "should" be, considering a person with few posts can very easily be a stronger positive force than one with many.
Everyone wants to rise through the ranks, the question is if they are worthy and capable to do the job. Where someone "should" be is a matter of definition. If this person thinks he should be somewhere, then all he has to do is reach for it. A stronger positive force without any desire for compensation would actually increase my respect for that person, for being humble enough to just wanting to help. ;P

They'll have my trust when they earn it, I find mistrust more reliable for such matters.
Mistrust will always be faced with mistrust, it's better to be an objective observer on matters you can't do anything about.

Level 9
Me said:
1 Rep = 1 Point
1 Post = 1 Point
1 Pending Resource = 1 Point
1 Approved Resource = 3 Points
1 Pending Map = 1 Point
1 Approved Map = 5 Points
1 Rejected Map/Resource = -1 Point
1 Director's Cut Map/Resource = 25 Points

Suggestion:

In the user CP, under settings and options : Change User Icon

0 Points or more = Workers (Peasant, Peon, Wisp, Acolyte)
500 Points or more = Warriors (Footman, Grunt, Treant , Ghoul)
1500 Points or more = Magician ( Priest , Spirit Walker, Druid of the Talon, Necromancer )
3000 Points or more = Powerful Warriors ( Knight, Raider, Druid of the Claw, Abomination )
3001 Points or More = ?
--

-Da Fist-

Level 22
Suggestion:

1500 Points or more = Magician ( Priest , Spirit Walker, Druid of the Talon, Necromancer )
3000 Points or more = Powerful Warriors ( Knight, Raider, Druid of the Claw, Abomination )
3001 Points or More = ?
--

-Da Fist-

Where do we get all these icons?

Level 26
Suggestion:

3001 Points or More = ?
--

-Da Fist-

Although I agree with the concept of icon achievements to be a fun idea, this concept you suggested here can be abused on so many levels that it is just ridiculous.

Me said:
1 Rep = 1 Point
1 Post = 1 Point
1 Pending Resource = 1 Point
1 Approved Resource = 3 Points
1 Pending Map = 1 Point
1 Approved Map = 5 Points
1 Rejected Map/Resource = -1 Point
1 Director's Cut Map/Resource = 25 Points
Suggestion:

3001 Points or More = ?
--

-Da Fist-

Such point allocation is hugely disproportionate, 3 points for an approved resource and 1 for a post? I don't think so, for that to be proportionate you'd have to get roughly 1/8th - 1/10th of a point for a post logically.

500 points would be obtainable by posting 500 times, but to do the same for resources one would require 166-167 Resources, I'd currently be on 935 (including this post) for my posts + 75 points for having 25 approved resources, with that point allocation, I'd think really if those were the points I'd have, that they "should" be in reverse.

As for your suggestion of what icons -could- be, we don't want to overcomplicate the site, we used the raider for moderators to make them stand out from the others, the same reason admins are shamans, everybody having so many icons - particularly if they're optional by race in my opinion would be far too rediculous.

Level 26
Although if we had some other kind of ration on this whole point scale it could technically work.

Rep: 1 point
Approved Resources: 35 -70 points depending on rating of said resource.
Director's Cut Resources: 170 points.
--

Resources: (maps, models, icons, skins and spells)
Rating: (Admin/Moderator Rating, not User Rating, because that could be abused.)

3000 points achieved and we could request a custom icon, possibly? Maybe? Maybe not. Cool idea though?
And 100 points to become grunt, because that is not really a big deal anyhow.

Just as an example, Tank-Commander,
counting resources to have the minimum value among his resources, combined with posts and rep, his point count comes to 1291.
If his resources is rated at the maximum value among his resources combined with posts and rep, his point count instead becomes 2166.

Which gives him a greater chance of getting a spiffy icon. So unless you don't mind making 30000 posts...
You need to submit good models for it to matter, if you want an icon. So you have to work for it, rather than spam. ;D

Last edited:
Hmm I don't think Contest should give extra points, the prizes are rep, rep would add to your points anyway on the basis of this system, and I'm concerned about the fact that a lot of resources recieve "no rating" from moderators, which would then sort-of invalidate the "points based on resource ratings" and it's impratical to keep track of it all.

Level 26
Hmm I don't think Contest should give extra points, the prizes are rep, rep would add to your points anyway on the basis of this system, and I'm concerned about the fact that a lot of resources recieve "no rating" from moderators, which would then sort-of invalidate the "points based on resource ratings" and it's impratical to keep track of it all.

Point taken, should I edit my post? Well, you could just say that resources with no rating automatically get 3/5?
That's an average number and the rank name for 3/5 is "Useful" which they are. That should simplify that?

Actually, if anyone has the time, you could code a script that keeps track of that.

Well, you could just say that resources with no rating automatically get 3/5?
That's an average number and the rank name for 3/5 is "Useful" which they are. That should simplify that?

I'd say maybe, but that could still make the system inaccurate, since it's actual "deserved" rating (which naturally is subjective) could be higher or lower than that and thus be a little unfair still, though it'd work as a patching-up method to an extent.

MiniMage said:
Actually, if anyone has the time, you could code a script that keeps track of that.

Well if it were to be implemented, it'd be a hive 2.0 feature, so I imagine Ralle would be the one to script it. Since it's not like the rest of us can really make modifications directly to the site, we can just make third-party programs and sort of "hook" them onto the hive.

Level 26
I'd say maybe, but that could still make the system inaccurate, since it's actual "deserved" rating (which naturally is subjective) could be higher or lower than that and thus be a little unfair still, though it'd work as a patching-up method to an extent.

Exactly. It would work until we can think of something better.

Well if it were to be implemented, it'd be a hive 2.0 feature, so I imagine Ralle would be the one to script it. Since it's not like the rest of us can really make modifications directly to the site, we can just make third-party programs and sort of "hook" them onto the hive.

It's not really like we common members can do anything at all, we merely suggest and refine ideas, if Ralle or someone of his higher minions likes the idea and greenlights it, the concept can be a reality.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77

This is exactly what I have been discussing with some people, which is why 100 posts was a good fit.

When we find a better way to "level up" people, we will switch the rank icon system to that. In an ideal world reputation would be great for deciding which rank icons you unlock, but the more reasons people have to gain rep, the more it will be abused. Therefore, this subject needs more debating, both here, but also in the staff forums.

Level 16
This is exactly what I have been discussing with some people, which is why 100 posts was a good fit.

When we find a better way to "level up" people, we will switch the rank icon system to that. In an ideal world reputation would be great for deciding which rank icons you unlock, but the more reasons people have to gain rep, the more it will be abused. Therefore, this subject needs more debating, both here, but also in the staff forums.

Winning contests could not only bestow a shiny emblem but also a new user icon with X times getting 1st 2nd or 3rd place. That would drive even more competition into the arena. They could also get credit towards it by judging contests. Just a thought.

Either that or getting a new user icon for submitting a certain amount of 3/5 or higher resources.

Level 25
Winning contests could not only bestow a shiny emblem but also a new user icon with X times getting 1st 2nd or 3rd place. That would drive even more competition into the arena. They could also get credit towards it by judging contests. Just a thought.

We already have a people with the mentality of "win at all costs", i wouldn't like to create more of those.

It's not the reward people aren't interested in, for example the recent mini contests had quite a nice amount of people and quality work, because the ideas were quite fun and interesting.

But it's just, we need goals to accomplish, like achieving new rank icons, but we already reached the highest level D:
But really, it's no biggie, I can live with being a grunt :b
Soooo, you really want people to get even more motivated to spam whenever they can and abuse reputation (which would make people "reach the goal" of a different rank) ? >_>

The idea is very interesting, but as Ralle said, there still has to be done much more in order to actually integrate this.
We already have a people with the mentality of "win at all costs", i wouldn't like to create more of those.

It's not the reward people aren't interested in, for example the recent mini contests had quite a nice amount of people and quality work, because the ideas were quite fun and interesting.
I second that. The themes Phar chose were extremely interesting and highly suited for a contest.

Well sounds a little, what's the word I'm looking for. . .redundant?

Since your rep levels increase by posts/rep we could easily just make it so that they're unlocked when your rep power increases, effectively the same thing, and still your rep amount given would be controlled by your posts/rep/anything that contributes to your rank rather than the rank itself, so kinda already what we have

Level 14
Well sounds a little, what's the word I'm looking for. . .redundant?

Since your rep levels increase by posts/rep we could easily just make it so that they're unlocked when your rep power increases, effectively the same thing, and still your rep amount given would be controlled by your posts/rep/anything that contributes to your rank rather than the rank itself, so kinda already what we have
Hm, do you know when i get rep power? I have more than 700 posts and i can still give only 1 rep...

Level 17
Rep power is done by your rep. The more rep you have the more rep you can give. I forgot the milestones o_O though.

At the moment you have a Muffin. You need like 3 pies or a cake or something :O

Rui

Rui

Level 41
(...) what's important to note that number of posts is -not- reflective of how much of a positive force you have been for the site. (...)
I don't mean for this to be a trample over what you guys are discussing, but I understand it may be perceived as such.

Browsing through the Mod's Lobby, it is verifiable that there are about a dozen proposals based on rep or posts that were turned down because they were based on rep or posts. The statement I quoted is precise, it is a lesson that we've learned and reiterated enough times to brand the appearance of the grunt/peon distinction as ill-advised.

Moreover, threads like this only originate insignificant discussions and abstractions over notions that should have long been internalized. There's inclusively a frivolous quarrel in its early pages.

On one hand, this raises questions on the recent uses of the thread lock function. On the other hand, if I'm permitted, it makes me actually miss the days when anarchian and pyramidhe@d protested about every modification Archian wanted to implement. The User/Peon-Moderator/Raider-Admin/Shaman hierarchy was accurate, coherent and it had been that way forever. No one understands why it suddenly had to change.

Last edited:
Level 14
Am, guys, i feel discrimination here... why the icons should be of orcs... why not undead or naga? (but not of humans and/or night elves because they are alliance and they suck, damn i hate those guys, for the horde) Like, you can be an acolyte or ghoul, i don't know.

So here is a suggestion.
I think that this should be configurable. For example, a newbie can choose between the builders (Wisp, Peasant, Peon, Acolyte). When this user gets 100 posts, he can choose between Grunt, Ghoul, Footman or Archer. I mean, the hierarchy is the same, but with different icons for different races, which can be configured by the user.

There is already a dropmenu in the user panel that defines the user's favorite race.

Level 14
Too much icons => confusion.

Keep it simple.
You can't make difference between a grunt and a mountain giant? You don't know who is more powerfull? If it's is still going to be confusing, then the mods (or the web coder/designer, i don't know) can do this.

When a user chooses his favorite race, ALL the icons of ALL users become with the race that the user chose. The hierarchy is the same for all races. However, if i, for example, choose the Undead race, i will see all users with undead race (including you, Kingz). If you choose Orc race, i will appear with the Orc race icons (only for you, however, others will see me with the icons of their favorite race). The race-choosing function just desides how this user sees the icons, it shall be different for most users.

Level 14
Fine, i have a goblin sapper icon.
What rank am i?

Edit:

I still don't see why is there so much hype about... icons.
The goblin sapper will simply not be in the icons list. :) In the icons list should be only units that are in synchron with the hierarchy of other races' units.

Example :
Rank 1 - Peon, Acolyte, Wisp, Peasant
Rank 2 - Troll Witch Doctor, Banshee, Dryad, Sorceress
Rank 3 - Grunt, Ghoul, Archer, Footman
Rank 4 - Tauren, Abomination, Mountain Gian, Gryphon Rider

I typed this list fast, there might be units that fill the list better. Besides, this list can be posted as a sticky thread so that everyone can know what rank he is...

Level 26
The goblin sapper will simply not be in the icons list. :) In the icons list should be only units that are in synchron with the hierarchy of other races' units.

So you're only pleasing a select few? I'd personally would love to have a goblin sapper icon. If we go by your earlier suggestion, icons are based on favorite race. My favorite race is goblin, thus I deserve a goblin icon, do I not? ;P

Also, skip rank 4, too OP.. and I actually agree that, with that rank, the icons will confuse others.

Level 23
he may reffer to playable warcraft 3 races - Human, Orc, Night Elf, Undead
The more icons the more confusion even trough I can just go with mouse over the icon and see if it is mod or w/e if we had 200 icons it would be confusing but I personally dont mind, ist just eye-candy, with or without raider the mods will still be mods

Level 19
Am I really the only one who understands his point? He suggests that you, as a user on the Hive, can choose one of the four playable races in settings, which will trigger that all icons on the site will appear as the race you chose, to YOU and you only. Users will of course choose differently, and the icons will all appear different to each of them.
Below is a list, just to clear any of you guys' confusion. I fully support his idea.
(Not that it will change anything for me - I'd choose Orcs anyways, but many would find this feature very attracting)

If a user chooses Orc, all user icons on the site will appear as orcs to him:
Peon (Users with 99- posts)
Grunt (Users with 100+ posts)
Raider (Mods, admins etc.)

If a user chooses Human, all user icons on the site will appear as humans to him:
Peasant (Users with 99- posts)
Footman (Users with 100+ posts)
Knight (Mods, admins etc.)

If a user chooses Night Elf, all user icons on the site will appear as night elves to him:
Wisp (Users with 99- posts)
Archer (Users with 100+ posts)
Huntress (Mods, admins etc.)

If a user chooses Undead, all user icons on the site will appear as undeads to him:
Acolyte (Users with 99- posts)
Ghoul (Users with 100+ posts)
Abomination (Mods, admins etc.)

Level 26
The constant attempts to create "levelup icons" is starting to convince me that nothing should be changed at all. Seriously, Tauren? Ralle is the one and only Tauren in this hive. Well, moose, but close enough. I thought my point system was more interesting, because the rank you achieve is only what a select few get if they work hard enough. If everyone has it, it just lessens the effect of having a custom icon. ;/

Basically, it'll be like before, just that a little now and then people achieve 3000 points and get their own custom icon to strut around with, showcasing a glorious award for having no life. It's a must have.

Status
Not open for further replies.