• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

User Rank Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Some of these ideas are cool and all but with everyone having "custom" awards and user-titles or whatever, would be so confusing in my oppion. Only people who should have custom titles or whatever is moderators and i still think that having custom rank icons for how many posts you have is a decent idea but the posts have to be alot instead of just 100, i think it should be increased due too how low it is, Some people just post short replys just to get there posts up in order just to get that grunt icon. From me i think it should be increased dramatically. Lastly, about the posts i do like the fact of new icons for more posts, other then that i don't like getting awards for other things instead of contests in the arena because everyone would just have all these awards below there rep and ralle or pharaoh_ would have to keep adding award after award every day to each person..that would get quite annoying. as there are alot of members in the hive as well.

No, I mean custom user titles, which are currently accessible to all, would be accessible only in exchange for some rep.
So you again want to take a free feature away from people, like chat colours back then?

I don't think this would lead towards a more satisfied community...

The idea of using rep to "unlock" something is interesting, but we shouldn't take something existing away for the sake of finding use for it.

Level 35
So you again want to take a free feature away from people, like chat colours back then?

I don't think this would lead towards a more satisfied community...

The idea of using rep to "unlock" something is interesting, but we shouldn't take something existing away for the sake of finding use for it.

Chat colors were never free, they were given to donors and staff members, unless there was Christmas.

Also, satisfaction is not dependent on something as trivial as this, more like having a strong community, nice resources and a good staff. Besides, by the time you find the custom title option in the User CP, you probably will have enough rep to unlock it.

Chat colors were never free, they were given to donors and staff members, unless there was Christmas.

Also, satisfaction is not dependent on something as trivial as this, more like having a strong community, nice resources and a good staff. Besides, by the time you find the custom title option in the User CP, you probably will have enough rep to unlock it.
My point of taking a kid's candy remains.

The comparison is shit; I mean you still contribute too much importance to custom titles. While a piece of candy might mean the whole world to a child, no grown man will get pissed off over getting a few words scratched over a picture on some random website.
I'd hope you'd say that (and your choice of words is interesting aswell, you are a zombie indeed).

I originally wanted to write this, but decided against it:
Why would someone actually use up his/her rep (if that's what's used for trading) for a custom user title that bears no significance at all and is overseen 70% of the time?

I already said multiple times that the actual idea of trading rep points is interesting, but doing so for a custom user title, as you suggested, is just silly.

Also, it doesn't matter whether you take away small or larger things from people, the act is still the same, which is what I was talking about all the time.

Level 35
I'd hope you'd say that (and your choice of words is interesting aswell, you are a zombie indeed).

I originally wanted to write this, but decided against it:
Why would someone actually use up his/her rep (if that's what's used for trading) for a custom user title that bears no significance at all and is overseen 70% of the time?

I already said multiple times that the actual idea of trading rep points is interesting, but doing so for a custom user title, as you suggested, is just silly.

Also, it doesn't matter whether you take away small or larger things from people, the act is still the same, which is what I was talking about all the time.

Oh, excuse the blatant choice of words, mister so highly educated gentleman, I'm merely a brainless Southern offspring. Truly, I feel flattered that you were able to predict what I was going to say, else you might not have understood what I was trying to tell you.

My idea for trading rep (or using rep with preserving it) actually came from another website which I used to frequent, where custom titles are not overlooked specifically because you have to reach a certain amount of rep/posts to unlock the feature. See, things are generally worth more if you have to work for it. Obviously enough, the same phenomenon applies in this case.

Also, ever studied law? There are differences between the scales of stealing, based on the importance of items defined by society. If you take away something that 1 in 100 people consider important, like a feather, a handful of grass or custom user titles on a website which offers a million other features, you probably won't cause any social damage.

Okay, to be fair and square, this is off the record.

I had also thought of such a system, where you have some sort of a pool and you exchange it for virtual resources that most likely affect your profile visually. However, this wouldn't be Rep in any way, because of two reasons, a) people can disable it, b) there is no point in calling it reputation, when it is removable through that way (if I had 200 reputation I am somehow famous and if I buy a new user title, I would go down to 50 reputation (due to the title's hypothetical cost) - so I am not that famous anymore (?)).
Thus, there would be another pool to deduct points from, like "Gold", which would be displayed in the form of an award.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
(...) If you take away something that 1 in 100 people consider important, like a feather, a handful of grass or custom user titles on a website which offers a million other features, you probably won't cause any social damage.
Depends on the perspective and authority of that person. *cough* D=

P.S. — You two guys should just cut it, that discussion is meaningless.

Level 17
Since people don't all like certain icons. Would it possible for a selection screen like that in Wc3 where once you have achieved a new Icon/Rank it is unlocked and you can change it to lower ranking icons to what you have achieved at any point? Or would that be ruining the actual exercise of having these Ranks icons?

Level 26
Since people don't all like certain icons. Would it possible for a selection screen like that in Wc3 where once you have achieved a new Icon/Rank it is unlocked and you can change it to lower ranking icons to what you have achieved at any point? Or would that be ruining the actual exercise of having these Ranks icons?

I like that idea.

Let's say you start at Peon, then when you've achieved at least 1000 posts and at least 50 rep you become Grunt, then at 2000 posts and at least 150 rep, you become a Raider. Then, at 3000 posts and at least 250 rep, you get to choose your own path, or become something else as default. Please keep in mind that I do not agree with the rep being used as currency, these ranks are merely supposed to be like achievements. These fancy icons would then also be displayed whenever you enter the chat, so that you can waltz around with pride with your spiffy icon.

That could work, couldn't it? When is that going to go up again btw? the chat I mean. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.