• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Upstream of Palinas - UOP ORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
UPSTREAM OF PALINAS - UOP ORPG

So many orpgs around don't you think, but what makes one of them special enough to stand out .
Yes you are right it's INNOVATION, it has to be new and original.
So here it is - uop orpg .
It's main features are its

Classes

MAGE

Not the same old mage you now from everywhere
sure it has hex, energy bursts, chain lightning...
but that's not all one of his specs (WIZARD) uses the traditional mage spells (long cooldown high mana cost) the other one (ARCANIST) uses fast killing enchanted attacks.

PALADIN

The tank and healer in the same pack (DIVINE WARRIOR)
and the dps (MACING CHAMPION)
Why do we like paladins - because of the mix of support spell caster meele dps-er.

WARRIOR

The usual "charge and kill them all" with new talents and strength.
its specs are the mounted (KNIGHT) and the sword wielder (SWORD CHAMPION).

PYROMANCER

The element of fire.
blast them down (BLAZER) and the commander of fire lords (SUMMONER)

HYDROMANCER

Waves and ice shards summon the wind.
Using the water elementals and living tornadoes (SUMMONER) and blizzard and wave maker (SHREDERER)

BARBARIAN

Master of survival in the wild (SURVIVOR) and the furious fighter (BERSEKER)

RANGER

MARKSMAN- arrow using dps beast with many deadly tricks in its disposal
SNIPER- one of two gunners in uop and a perfect headshoter, also using aoe explosives

HUNTER

Friend of animals (TAMER) and the trapper and gun user (TRAVELER)

GEOMANCER

Earth shaking meele fighter and perfect stunner (GROUND BREAKER) and the shape shifting golem summoner (SHAPER).

BLOOD MANCER

blood thristy beast in the hunt for pray (SEEKER) and the blood hound caller
(SUMMONER)

BOUNTY HUNTER

ROUGE- invisible backstabber
ASSASSIN - blinkstriking critical strike maker

DRUID

The all-seeing time-traveling mage (PROPHET) and the animal (FORM TAKER)

PRIEST

Healer (HOLY) and support/heal/dps (AVENGING)

Proffesions

1. blacksmith = ore finding + smithing
2. rune and jewel making = stone find. + enchanting
3. leather worker = skinning + tailoring
4. potion maker = herbing + potion cooking
5. tailoring = fiber maker + tailoring
6. engineering = blue printing+ mechanizing
7. scroll making = paper work + enchanting

Systems

• save and load of course
  • stats and substats system (fullscreen)
  • achievement system
  • inventory system (fullscreen)
  • item class system (depending on material and type)
  • combat system (adding weight to weapons)(using shields(little bars under you that take some damage away))(crit and spell crit)(some weapons stronger against some unit types)
  • special second mana bar for every class
  • professions (fullscreen)
  • talent trees (fullscreen)
  • talk system
  • party system
  • survival system (you will need to sleep and eat)

The world

Epic size map with 5 cities each with 50 % percent enter able houses.
A live and fluid world witch will never be the same - done thrgh achivments so players will never be treated the sam by npcs and will never do the same storyline quest.
3 storylines for each sub class altogether 72 storylines.
22 dungeons and instances
FANTASTIC LORE - still WIP
MULTI MAP COMPABILITY

Other bits

custom ui
many fullscreen menus
maps with dungeons and boss fights
world map
custom camera witch is neither 1st person neither 3rd person and depends on regions so you will have absolute visibility of everything

THE TEAM

ZOLGA - PROJECT LEADER
CATCH_YA - CODE AND TERRAIN
BRETT - TERRAIN
NARRATOR - LOAD SCREEN

Still recruiting.
needed:
jasser
another project leader

Last edited:
Level 9
Hmmm, just looks like another run of the mill ORPG. What does your game offer that others don't? Screenshots would help.

Level 7
Hmmm, just looks like another run of the mill ORPG. What does your game offer that others don't? Screen shots would help.

define mill orpg
and about screen shots catch_ya should be starting the starter city in next few days so in about a week or a week and a half we should have some screenies

thanks for posting any thing (you are th first one to post not in the team)
+rep

Level 12
I think we must wait for answer of Zolga but its okay for me..
@Zolga
i uploaded some screenshots of abit of my terrain.. Hope its good enough Still very wip terrain

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Last edited:
Level 8
No offence, but the terrain is bad.
Just Tilesets with a few custom doodads.
There is something missing... :wink:

Level 12
This is still WIP lol and please dont give negative critism .. I havent placed every doodad yet.. I would just take some screenshots to show what kinda terrain it could be..
And if you dont call that negative critism then tell me what to improve i dont get better if someone just say "the terrain is bad"
Anyway thanks for takíng a look

@Zolga

As you know i was making custom attack system which requires deaods TTBar system so i could make custom health bar systems like the one warcraft III have.. I think that we should have this system because it makes it easier for us to manipulate with the life regeneration, damage, hp etc.. Tell me what you think

EDIT: I also just made a refreshing system so now they also refresh life

Last edited:
Level 9
This is still WIP lol and please dont give negative critism .. I havent placed every doodad yet.. I would just take some screenshots to show what kinda terrain it could be..
And if you dont call that negative critism then tell me what to improve i dont get better if someone just say "the terrain is bad"

Negative criticism? Crits are supposed to help you improve the game; aka: point out the negative points of your game to help you improve on them.

Level 4
OK, terrain is the most important part of ORPG maps. Those up there aren't good enough. Maybe if you add a little noise, wall doodads and cliffs, it'll be better.
Also, I recommend attachment system. And when I saw that you were adding achievement system, I was all "OMG! ACHIEVEMENTS FTW! Yahoooo!!!" Try to stand on that idea!

Level 7
I find this ORPG very interesting.
I can be idea maker.

dark master thanks i will need some ideas soon enough i think
in the mean time is there anything else you could do

@Zolga

As you know i was making custom attack system which requires deaods TTBar system so i could make custom health bar systems like the one warcraft III have.. I think that we should have this system because it makes it easier for us to manipulate with the life regeneration, damage, hp etc.. Tell me what you think

EDIT: I also just made a refreshing system so now they also refresh life

of course you can use any system you want if its stable (you just have to be ready to heavily modify it when we add second mana bars for classes)

about terrain its nice but needs more work i will soon pm you the drawings of the map so you can start working on it

Also, I recommend attachment system. And when I saw that you were adding achievement system, I was all "OMG! ACHIEVEMENTS FTW! Yahoooo!!!" Try to stand on that idea!

im sticking with achievements don't worry
because they will make the game sand box like
and they will be saved in save codes so you will always have them

about attachments
i dont know
its not too hard and im sure we could implement it but only in later versions

Level 9
If we are going to have many items.. Then maybe we should wait with attachments because the filesize for every attachment can get pretty high if we have many .. I think we should wait and see if we have space enough

You'll have plenty of space. Attachments take up barely anything and they just doubled the space maps can take up to 8 megs, you're fine.

Level 7
well i counted the map size a few days ago
and its about 5mg
custom ui and models and all the fullscreen stuff
and models for effects and icons for spells and items
but as i sad attachments will be there
just not in the first version of the map

Level 7
its gonna be like toad cops just all red and purple with gold borders
and you will see yourself in the middle and there are eight slots for gear around you
and lots of places under you

oh what the hack im taking the pics now

edit : sry really blurry

Attachments

• rpg 001.jpg
    rpg 001.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 78
  • rpg 001 with info.jpg
    rpg 001 with info.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 101
  • rpg 002.jpg
    rpg 002.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 72
  • rpg 002 with info.jpg
    rpg 002 with info.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Level 7
well practically spec is like the name of the talent tree
like for ranger you have 1. marksman 2. sniper
its sub class and cant be changed
and of course you pick it in the beginning

and it will fit the ui

Level 12
OK now i know ;) well ill go work on the talent tree now..
BTW: Zolga what you mean with 2 mana bars for each class ?? and yes its pretty easy to add a new bar to a unit.. If we are going to use my attack system. Since the hp bars is a texttag which there is a limit of 100 or something then every creep cant have one so when you attack/select a creep a multiboard appear with a HP bar, name of monster, level, damage, armor etc..

Last edited:
Level 7
about multiboards we are gonna use it exactly for what you said and more
at all times you will see on it health ,mana ,second mana and exp with icon for every member of your party and you
also about talk system im thinking of making it like it turns on a cinematic
and when you are supposed to give an answer it gives you hotkeys like

a-yes
s-maybe
d-no
f-explain further

Level 12
I created the Multibar with the creeps.. But we are NOT gonna have custom health point bar for the creep over them but they are gonna have a custom hp.. But if they lose like 50% hp the hp bar also goes down to 50%..
About the loading screen i dont know anything about it you just have to wait for Zolga's answer

Level 7
well im still drawing the map witch is going to be on the screen
and catch ya im going to scan or take a pic of the map so youll now where to terrain what
and about health bar and stuff
dont work on that now unless you have a giant amount of time
work on terrain when i send you the pics

also im posting game mechanics soon

Level 8
My Review from this thread:

Classes: Wow. Its amazing how uncreative the classes are. Alot of people think 'I have an idea to cover up laziness - lets just throw Warrior, Paladin and Mage in there, and if we run out of ideas, we will just stick Pyro or Aqua on the front of the names.' Seriously, you need NEW classes. And also, while I am on the subject, don't fall into the trap of 'Lets just rename warrior to Battlelord, no one will know' - because people will.

Terrain: Nothing special. Nothing at all. In fact, its pretty bad. Its a very square way of laying tiles. Thats all I have got really.

Proffesions: The same as the classes - used and outdated. Come up with something new for goodness sake. Jewel Worker and Engineer have been done, as have Blacksmith and Tailor. Everything has been done tonnes of times. Then you throw in that curve ball - scroll making. Litterally just a terrible name for conscription.

Conversation Idea: Gimmiky and overrated. A=Yes, B=No, C=Maybe, D=Explain. Rediculously complicated for something that could be solved easily. Yes = Get and do the quest. No = Get and don't do the quest. Maybe = Get and possibly do the quest later. Explain = You should provide enough information for there not to be this option.

Overall: It offers nothing new at all. It is another map that will fall into what I call 'the map punchline'. Basically, the joke is that you spend night after night raising your baby - this map for those who don't get metaphor - and eventually you display it to the world in a pool of sweat, blood and tears. Here comes the punchline - everyone goes 'Thats nice' and its forgotten forever. It normally happens with AoS, but you, my friend, have made it work with RPG's to a whole new level.

BTW, I love the way you decided to make the inventory all unique *cough*TKOK*cough* by using Jass to cover up the laziness of everything else. Its like people who think that people will be blinded by triggering just to ignore the gameplay.

Level 12
I came up with this hero Idea which might can be used..
Doom Lord

Type: Tank but also a good dps

Main Attribute: Strength

Abilities

Demon Armor
Passive
Icon:

Reduce damage done to this unit by x% and adds x defense
EyeCandy: None

Demonic Cleaving

Icon: Cleaving Attack

no target/attack
Attacks every unit in front of you damaging your damage + strength

EyeCandy: Some yellow kinda strike effect / blood

Cursing Hand
Unit-Target

Icon: Hand of Darkness

Causing damage to a unit overtime.

EyeCandy: some dark effect that appears each second until the ability expires

Its only some abilities.. I will think of more.. But i hope this hero is too common.

Last edited:
Level 12
Okay the idea was to Zolga but i just cant think of any custom proffessions if you have any please tell us and i read your post.. But i dont understand what you mean with "squarish tiles" please explain

OFF: i see u changed user title oO

Level 7
I am just being honest. If you are going to shut your ears to negative criticism you need not post your map idea in the forums.

no you are not giving any criticism
either negative or positive

you are saying to us that what we are doing is pointless
but you are not telling us what to do

and i saw some other posts in other threads and seems like that's all you do
here on the hive

so either help or dont

Level 8
I was just pointing out that the terrain is fairly poor and all of the heroes are unorigional. I am not going to make heroes for you, just tell you that it might end up fairly bad unless it has a unique feature, like TKOK has the unique inventory and talent trees.

Level 7
why are classes so bad
maybe all of them aren't original
but some are
bloodmancer for instance
and geomancer is intresting too
also those like warrior and ranger are ok
as long as their only ability isn't taunt or headshot

Level 8
I suppose you are right, Bloodmaner (Goremancer flows of the tounge a bit easier, though) and Geomancer haven't been perfected. I suppose a special spin on the classics could be pulled off, as long as (as you say) you don't just give them WoW skills or stuff like Headshot.

Level 12
:p WoW skills are so boring.. But i think that in our rpg we shouldnt have over special effected spells like a big ball which fills the whole screen and wow spells :S no ! :p..

Zolga i throught of another idea for a hero if you like it..

Sacrificer:

some abilities i just came up with:
Offer yourself ( havent got a real name yet ) ( unit target )
kills your self if your hp are over x% and deals damage to everyone around but also revives an ally.

Sacrifice ( unit target )
deals bonus damage to an attack but also deals abit damage to yourself
- all from this hero for now

well i worked on abit terrain and yea i know their is like something missing in the forrest but i just cant think of what it is:
forrest1.jpg forrest2.jpg Forrest3.jpg Forrest 4.jpg

sorry for the darkness i wanted to test a new light thing out but i didnt add enough i have a map with more light - the last picture i added more light.. And the trolls has invaded the dark elven forrest so they are burning down the statues

~ only the light model is imported material

Last edited:
Level 12
Yes that was kinda the way i throught like. You will have 2 choices you can do quests for night elf / join them or you can join the trolls and do their quests which involves things like kill some night elf or something. If you are friendly with night elf you can buy from their shops in their town but not in the trolls town abit kinda alliance/horde system but not the same

btw: I also made a position 2 integer so now we can store the units position in the save/load system.

Level 7
Will it just be repeatable quests like 'kill 5 trolls' or 'douse 10 fires' OR will it be in some form of quest line, leading up to the eventual control of the reigon/some form of amazing prize?

as it says in the first post
there will be multiple quest lines for each sub class
i think 3 for each subclass is enough
so its 3*2 for each class
and 3*2*12 all together

of course there will be some repeatable quests witch will give achievements

Level 4
Here's some achievement ideas:

-Noob
Kill first enemy.

-Soldier Boy
Kill 20 enemies.