• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Update: Webspace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Ok. You want harsh rules? Here you go:

Spells - UNIQUENESS (no three times made AoE sleep).
- FULL MUI for JASS spells
- few, if NO leaks for JASS spells

Icons - Atleast 65% scratch!
- Icons of units or buildings on the site are done only ONCE!

Skins - atleast 75% scratch!

Maps - No more 50 DotAs and 100 Warhammers and map plagiarism. Map must be ORIGINAL!

There! This should most likely purge the site for good.

Now seriously, this is what I call harsh rules. Not "OMG, you deleted my icon because it was just a recolor?"
"Of course! It was a plain recolor"
"But icon X is also a recolor"
situations.

But we have to rethink the map section. There is no use to have 100 DotAs uselessly. I haven't seen an original map for quite some time. Not that I check the maps section anymore. It simply sickens me to look at it. We should be far more strict with it. Maps are not additional resources! They are "the product" if you want to call it that way.

~Daelin

Level 6
hmm...but what about someone make crapy e.g. warhammer map and somebody else will make much better one after that?
But I agree with that maps are not resources (at least from time when map protecting became fashional) and best thing of this site is resources.

But once again I must say that decission of what should be deleted and what should be preserved should not be matter of one man nor some general rule (for reasons I mentionet few times in this tread)

Level 4
ok, keep all good quality models, **** the rest
:twisted: I have also noticed that people will release updates of their maps with either tiny upgrades or just leaving the older ones up, if people were to delete older versions BEFORE uploading a newer ver that may help free up some space in the maps

oh yeah, is there acctually anywhere i can get modelling programs for free? coz most of the modelling programs taht are listed on the site need to have that credit card thing :roll:

Level 3
Frankly the problem here seems to be that people can't descide what is or isn't good and the mods are too afraid of the "why mine? why not his?" consequence of taking any action.

Scrap the bad resources? Who says this is bad, one mod? If it is a problem with a single person then it is a problem that is hard to fight. How has society ruled to fix the problem of "it is just your opinion". Make a voting system (OMG we have one of those), then it is majority wins. select say 35 people who are active users, then get them to go through every resource. This is when you say who will do that?!? well I can say I will do it and I'm sure the mods and admins will, then find some other users that care. give it like a month or so; then, someone with authority like Darky or VG go through the resources, anyone with a score less than 3.5 or something out of 5 is scrapped.

I thought this would work well, the only problem would be finding able users.

Level 5
I've read through for awhile now, since the increasing loading time, and i'm thinking to just remove EVERYTHING by like, the oldest 75% of ALL files, such as, remove like, 125 pages, maybe half the models/skins/icons and if that doesnt work, delete nearly everything, except the directors choices, and give maybe a month or two warning so people can reupload their favorite maps, such as RPGs, and all those, it makes life much easier then deleting ONE by ONE.

Level 45
peoples hard work shouldnt be just thrown away, only those whos work was just slap and slack jobs like, geomerged elfs and orc motionless on dragons.

I suggest models with just geoswapped heads be deleted, or weaponless ones be deleted. im sure there is some, people should learn to make their own weaponless models easily.

i dont know..work varies and "good" and "bad" is very subjective...so..ja.

Level 4
Wc3 campagins went down too. Hahaha
lol, when? oh yeah, ages ago

look, i agree with restarting the site, but also, as an addition, the Map section should be removed and instead maybe replaced with a link to Epic War, it can do everything this site's map section can do except epic war holds millions more maps, this way people wont be resubmitting tiny updates, or footman frenzys that noone cares about

Level 15
It was down for a few hours today. According to the news post there, it occurred due to server updates.

Sworddragon said:
I've read through for awhile now, since the increasing loading time, and i'm thinking to just remove EVERYTHING by like, the oldest 75% of ALL files, such as, remove like, 125 pages, maybe half the models/skins/icons and if that doesnt work, delete nearly everything, except the directors choices, and give maybe a month or two warning so people can reupload their favorite maps, such as RPGs, and all those, it makes life much easier then deleting ONE by ONE.
The DC system doesn't even work right, stuff that deserves to be DCed doesn't get it, and DCed stuff that actually isn't that good has DCs, though, that's not the case with all DCed stuff, some really deserve it.

Level 22
look, i agree with restarting the site, but also, as an addition, the Map section should be removed and instead maybe replaced with a link to Epic War, it can do everything this site's map section can do except epic war holds millions more maps, this way people wont be resubmitting tiny updates, or footman frenzys that noone cares about

Epic War suffers one significant problem- no, and I mean NO moderation of map content. Unlike here, Quite literally 1/3+ of their archive is obsolete version maps. I might even go as far as to say half. You flip through page after page of the same maps, same authors, just different version numbers. If they would just moderate their archive, epic war would be a wonderful site. Epic war may have more maps, but we have far more different maps.

The DC system doesn't even work right, stuff that deserves to be DCed doesn't get it, and DCed stuff that actually isn't that good has DCs, though, that's not the case with all DCed stuff, some really deserve it.

I only handle DCs in the maps section. I dont have a chance to play every single map, so many DC worthy maps probably slip by, thats why I rely on users to point out some exceptional ones when they can. If you are referring to models and skins, you migth want to ask the moderators of those sections to review ones you think are DC worthy so that they may take a closer look.
-VGsatomi

Level 4
Epic War suffers one significant problem- no, and I mean NO moderation of map content. Unlike here, Quite literally 1/3+ of their archive is obsolete version maps. I might even go as far as to say half. You flip through page after page of the same maps, same authors, just different version numbers. If they would just moderate their archive, epic war would be a wonderful site. Epic war may have more maps, but we have far more different maps...
yes well, as i said, cant you make a rule of having it so that you have to delete all lower versions of the map before you can resubmit it?

Enybody knows how much it will took? I hope less than 1 mounth...
i understand :wink: everyone loves this site, we all want it working, but only time can tell

does anybody know what happened to modforge?
that went a bit fucked up

VGsatomi said:

Epic War suffers one significant problem- no, and I mean NO moderation of map content. Unlike here, Quite literally 1/3+ of their archive is obsolete version maps. I might even go as far as to say half. You flip through page after page of the same maps, same authors, just different version numbers. If they would just moderate their archive, epic war would be a wonderful site. Epic war may have more maps, but we have far more different maps.

I only handle DCs in the maps section. I dont have a chance to play every single map, so many DC worthy maps probably slip by, thats why I rely on users to point out some exceptional ones when they can. If you are referring to models and skins, you migth want to ask the moderators of those sections to review ones you think are DC worthy so that they may take a closer look.
-VGsatomi
Yes, I was mostly referring to the models and textures since I am more active in those parts. And I report so much to Mech that he can't keep up, because the site is so damn slow and because he's lazy (he admitted it himself).

If the site's speed is increasesd, then I think a lot of mods will feel a lot more for moderating, right now it's a pain in the ass for them too, if the site was a bit faster then it would be a bit more doable.

Level 2
For models/skins, old can be good. But for maps, old is really bad. No updates make the map boring, ppl will always want to try out the new stuff.

Then there will be rival versions which are updated and more appealing than the old version which might be a classic. Or there will be sbustitutes maps (some called it ripped off versions) that can replace the old classic one.

Mecheon said:
Blah blah I know I'm lazy <_<

As for ideas of deleting old stuff, no. Old stuff is worthy

However, I am severely tempted to go Crazy Go Nuts on all "LOLZ NEW WEAPON" models
yes, yes, yes, do it!
Models with just new weapons are basicly the same unit and therefor not that usefull, and right now we need all the space we can get.
so, again, puuuuurge! (bad stuff that is, not good quality stuff)

Level 6
Xenu said:
For models/skins, old can be good. But for maps, old is really bad. No updates make the map boring, ppl will always want to try out the new stuff.

Right, but who already played all that maps? Im personally finding many interesting maps in oldies. And older versions of same map is beenig deleted.
But as was said, resources are main article here, not maps

olofmoleman said:
Yes, models with just different weapon are useless - weaponless models are much better, especially in combination with attachment arsenal. But if that model has also new cool animations its pretty fine (I just seen one, not sure if here, heh...)

Level 4
puurge :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Level 21
olofmoleman said:
SinFinite said:
Why not reduce every user's useable space but give good modelers, mappers, etc. the privlege of unlimited uploading.
That idea has already been posted, and thrown away, that would mean people who post good quality stuff are as much restricted as people who just dump crap on the site.

uhm no it doesn't mean that... Cause you would probably get unlimited uploading.

But then I wonder who's going to decide who's a good modeller and who isn't.

Oh and about the 4GB of map space: I wonder how many maps aren't older versions of other uploaded maps, how many maps are demos, how many maps are maps that are unfinished and do not appear to get finished at all.

Fusion with Filefront?

[Off Topic]What program do you use to animate, what program do you use for skinning? (sry for the off topic, but nobody ever comes to requests anyway) [/off topic]

Eleandor said:
olofmoleman said:
SinFinite said:
Why not reduce every user's useable space but give good modelers, mappers, etc. the privlege of unlimited uploading.
That idea has already been posted, and thrown away, that would mean people who post good quality stuff are as much restricted as people who just dump crap on the site.

uhm no it doesn't mean that... Cause you would probably get unlimited uploading.

But then I wonder who's going to decide who's a good modeller and who isn't.

Oh and about the 4GB of map space: I wonder how many maps aren't older versions of other uploaded maps, how many maps are demos, how many maps are maps that are unfinished and do not appear to get finished at all.

Fusion with Filefront?

[Off Topic]What program do you use to animate, what program do you use for skinning? (sry for the off topic, but nobody ever comes to requests anyway) [/off topic]
The moderators and admins decide who makes good resources, and you can make anims in 3DS max, and textures can be made best in Painshop pro or Photoshop.

Level 9
People, please, whatever file-hosting partner you would decide to fusion with, please, choose a free-to-sign-up host!
I found myself in nasty situation when, in order to download a file (supposedly for free, as the site suggested), I had to provide a valid credit card data in order to make an account within the file-hosting website... :cry:

Yea, old versions, unfinished maps, demos and maps that don't work properly should be removed. Same thing with models and spells, if they don't work, they should be removed.

Level 1
Just mass purge the whole Site then start from scratch as half of the ppl that uploaded all the older maps that are Dead linked or are outta date dont come on anymore therefor u wont get as much spam maps etc

Level 5
Yeah, limit the capacity!

Big files use Torrents!

Make the rules tighter; I still see some really freakin stupid maps that dont get deleted.

And yeah make somekind of script to delete old versions; since i delete my old versions but i saw most ppl keep their existence.

Hasten the loading time for the web pages; take heck long with dial up. Maybe reduce the decorations? wc3campaigns is really fast in loading.

Level 13
Personally I think this site should be able to hold its own resources instead of redirecting to other sites, or atleast shouldn't become an option, and I think that it is manageable for wc3sear.ch as well as it is for others sites, there is need for more space on this website which probably is a finnacial query fro darky to decide on.
Besides that this site needs better coding, cause even with the amount of stuff on this site, its manageable to load pages way faster than it does and did for the past years.

Level 9
My ideas are, if your short on time, and resources get a dozen more people you can trust to become temporary sorting moderators.

More people = faster sorting

Next, I know several friends offline and online who run their own servers and might be willing to act as complete temporary 3 month backups until things are smooth again.

Lastly those same people mentioned above know of several online service providers who have given them excellent space deals in the past without giving them trouble.

I'd rather if you guys told me if I should start asking than start asking on your behalf and then find out you don't need it anymore. :lol:

Level 1
Just an ideea...

One way to save space would be installing a bittorrent traker and then have users share their models and maps thru the torrents. Just an ideea...

Level 15
I believe the BitTorrent idea was already mentioned and turned down.

Also, in answer to some that want to use free hosting. Free hosting is a mistake, especially for large sites that use an immense amount (1 Terabyte or more) of bandwidth.

I get the general impression that wc3search doesn't want to use any external hosting, probably because the site has already had two external hosting problems in the past. Based on these events, wc3search has every right to be wary of hosting files at other locations.

Also, even though Darky still visits sometimes, he still isn't around enough to add many new features to the site (I'm basing this upon observation), so huge changes are probably not going to happen.

The only worthwhile solution at this point (at least until the situation changes) remains for the mods/admins to keep up with the cleanup operation they set out to do, and for Darky to keep on the lookout for increasing the site storage quota.

In other words, we wait patiently... :)

Level 2
Daelin said:
Ok. You want harsh rules? Here you go:

Spells - UNIQUENESS (no three times made AoE sleep).
- FULL MUI for JASS spells
- few, if NO leaks for JASS spells

Icons - Atleast 65% scratch!
- Icons of units or buildings on the site are done only ONCE!

Skins - atleast 75% scratch!

Maps - No more 50 DotAs and 100 Warhammers and map plagiarism. Map must be ORIGINAL!

There! This should most likely purge the site for good.

Now seriously, this is what I call harsh rules. Not "OMG, you deleted my icon because it was just a recolor?"
"Of course! It was a plain recolor"
"But icon X is also a recolor"
situations.

But we have to rethink the map section. There is no use to have 100 DotAs uselessly. I haven't seen an original map for quite some time. Not that I check the maps section anymore. It simply sickens me to look at it. We should be far more strict with it. Maps are not additional resources! They are "the product" if you want to call it that way.

~Daelin
There is plagiarism, and then there are also just maps of the same genre...

I agree that inferior copies ought to be rejected, but saying there can be no AoS's other than dota, and no footman wars maps other than the footies by hatoup, and no TD's other than... umm... whatever the original TD was is stupid.

I will do my part and remove all my maps currently on this site since nobody is downloading them anymore and I have some of them up on epicwar.

Speaking of epicwar, there is no easy way to get rid of old version of your map on that site, reporting them is the only way.

Level 21
Or we could just download the best top of the files here, completelly remove this website, and start allover again by uploading the best files. You'd be certain about the fact the links work + you know the site contains quality work. And as soon as you have quality stuff, it's gonna be easier to approve new files

Level 2
Deleting the WoW models

While taking up A LOT of space, the WoW models are probably the best looking of the models, so please, don't delete them? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.