• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Reviving. Can it even be possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
daxtreme... it also depends what do you mean by good? Eyecandy or skill required to program it. Not like I'm fighting with you to get the purger job or something, there would be few of these guys anyway, and I don't believe i'd get one.

Also I disagree about previous posts saying to delete everything except models, skins and icons. Why? There are many interesting spells (especially in spellpacks). JASS scripts are also useful, although 90% of them could be found on wc3jass. But they are text files, so all jass and ai would take like 80 MB.

some arts are also high quality, you could get werewulf or someone with time to run through them.

~Jacek

Level 12
@Vex

- Models and Skins wont be uploaded again once deleted.
- New spells can simply be uploaded like maps to replace old ones.

For someone to go through the spells, sorting good from bad would take years and opions on spell quality are extremely diverse amongst everyone.

Maps + Spells just have to go.
Save the Models/Skins/Icons.

Level 6
how much space consumes spells? cca 200MB. That means that delete of spells will not help reduce total 8GB. And more importantly spells are inspirative.

Models consume cca 600MB - big piece, but not enough. Deletion of WoW models will not hurt and will help to decrease that 50-100 MB (25-50% of spell section).

Tools 100MB - all of them are obsolote and so can be deleted.

Skin consumes - who knows? But I say it is betwen 100 and 500MB and skin are much less useful than models (big skins are useless in multiplayer and even 50kb skins is not small for that purpose)

Maps - yes, It is sad, but there is thousands of maps and much of them excedes 1MB (and many have around 5MB). If we banish maps, we will lost, but most of the map can be downloaded elsewhere and I cant say same to resources. Im sure this is maps that consumes major part of space - few GB I say and that space can host lots of resources.

This site is NOT such favorite for its maps, but for its resources - models, icons, skins (but IMO it can be deleted) and spells and this is what should be kept.

Level 12
Fulla said:
@Vex

- Models and Skins wont be uploaded again once deleted.
- New spells can simply be uploaded like maps to replace old ones.

For someone to go through the spells, sorting good from bad would take years and opions on spell quality are extremely diverse amongst everyone.

Maps + Spells just have to go.
Save the Models/Skins/Icons.

Tell me you are not saying that checking models is less difficult unless you plan on judging them from screenshots which is pretty retarded

---

Edit: Simply remove everything, if people won't upload either they don't want to or they are no longer active in wc3 so their things would be obsolete anyways.

Level 1
I think you should only keep models, skins and icons and maybe the DC awarded spells.

@Vexorian: Yes , it might be hard to sort the models out, but some you can just ignore by just looking at the screenshot. Others you might have to test in a map indeed. But if you just test about 10 - 15 in one map at a time, you would be done after a few days of hard work. If you got about 3-5 people working through them of course.

@Alvatar: I disagree with you about the skins. They ARE very useful, as they dont take that much space and you can make some models look so much different and can use the models on so much different ways. And compared to models they don't take that much space actually...

So Ralle, get some people to go through the skins, models and icons, then put those files over at hiveworkshop...
Now let's quit talking and start getting to work :lol:

Level 45
yay. i changed my mind..

I'll be willing to test some or a catergory of models for transfer to the hive.
1. I will test each model ingame.

2. If its a good quality model like jigreals stuff and it contains an error, bug causing it not to show properly ingame then i may edit it.

3. I will firstly judge through screenshot though, if its just a footman with no head, then its obviously junk.

4. I'll dl all the models(in a catergory not all obviously :p) and have them sorted like this:

(But mind you,im still not sure if the hive will support unit catergories rather than unit as a catergory.)
wc3models>Undead>Ghoulbarager>ghoulbarger.mdx

But i seriously think you need a person for each category in the model section since its not easy work..

ill also be willing to go through the artwork with you and dl and save them into one big folder(or zip) for the hive for transfer(ill keep author names on the image name).
The artwork can be quickly sorted since most of the artwork can be judged via the preview image.

Im not saying im the best person for this job... but im willing to help cuase i have nothing else do in my life.

EDIT: okay... well i reread it and hopefully what i said makes sense... :S

Level 14
Fulla, opinion on spells are diverse among people? What about for example icon recolours or WoW models? You can find alot of people who will pray to these arts, but alot of them will just burn it as satan-spawn.

Also you may think that spell made in Object Editor only, without triggers, is a mistake and should be obliterated... what about this spell? http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Spells&ID=366&sid=1bacd21c311c1f57e28a1fabba118270 I think it's extreme good example of non-triggered spells, which is higher quality than many "LOOK I LEARNT TRIGZERS I MAKE SPELLS". Also you can delete spells based on their leaking... I know few spells that choke my computer after third cast or sth.

/psst I can purge spells ;p/

Level 45
i say we make Hive an anti-crap hole, i still want it to be like wc3sear, but the GOOD side of wc3sear not the lazy, thieved crap.

originality, creativity, effort and skill are the key factors i think, not ripping models like BFME or WoW( and i don't care if it takes you 1-3hrs to rip a model) or simple recolour edits pretty much anyone can do, if

people want recolours or rips then they should make it themself and keep it to themselves.

/RAaaanttt OFffff!

Level 3
I'd say keep all, no one wants this great and huge resource to disappear, and if you don't like something, don't download it. Just search for what you need, it's just like the world wide market, there are all kinds of things you don't like and you just ignore them and find what you're looking for and if you don't find it, you try going somewhere else.

Level 5
I agree with those who say skins, models, icons and spells should stay!
Though the 1.5mb+ and low quality models should be deleted, the crappy and low quality spells should also be deleted. The skins ans icons are pretty much all good and don't require that much space anyways!

As for maps i think that all the maps should be left, i mean yeah many are right when they say maps can be re-submited by users and BTW there are enough WC3 maps websites!

Level 6
Vexorian said:
Anyways Ralle my point is: either keep all or remove all. Seriously.

I disagree. This is so binar logic. There is lot of stuff that can be sacrificed, but not all and it is nonsense to keep it all. I think cleaning is "less evil" than eliminate all.

Werewulf said:
originality, creativity, effort and skill are the key factors i think, not ripping models like BFME or WoW( and i don't care if it takes you 1-3hrs to rip a model)

even if recolored icons are best at all, I cant say same to models/skins. Overally, it sounds like good way.

Arkidas said:
I'd say keep all, no one wants this great and huge resource to disappear, and if you don't like something, don't download it. Just search for what you need, it's just like the world wide market, there are all kinds of things you don't like and you just ignore them and find what you're looking for and if you don't find it, you try going somewhere else.

The problem is enormous space consumed, so something simply must be deleted (I vote for maps)

Level 45
Alvatar said:
Werewulf said:
originality, creativity, effort and skill are the key factors i think, not ripping models like BFME or WoW( and i don't care if it takes you 1-3hrs to rip a model)

even if recolored icons are best at all, I cant say same to models/skins. Overally, it sounds like good way.

im saying recolours go for all icon,skins etc, even artwork, and i hate trace works or crap recolours of samwises work that are in the art database.

EDIT: screw it, ill just go through the art gallery NOW, im frickin bored..

Level 6
Maybe, but if you need for example yellow potion, it looks much better when it is recolored potion of healing (or another one) than it is in another bottle.

nah, this is pointless, recolored icons are not main problem now

Level 2
Wc3sear was easily the biggest database of warcraft III resources. I have used and relied on this site for everything over the years. Help with map making, models, everything. There is no way we can let all the hard work that went into this site and all its art be thrown out the window. So yeah my rant is over, Im willing to help with whatever I can to save the resources..

ana

ana

Level 6
I say keep the tutorials, models and eliteskins. The rest can be deleted. At least delete the maps.

Most of the files are noobproduction, nobody will miss them. Good ones will eventually find their way back.

Or what you could do is just get a whole bunch of people to go and screen every submission, like what maps.worldofwar.net does

that would help to get rid of the 1.5GB wow models and the really bad stuff, so you wouldn't lose any space due to crappy submissions.

Either that or do a voting system where if something gets enough bad votes, then it will be blammed.

just my two cents

Level 2
Vexorian said:
Anyways Ralle my point is: either keep all or remove all. Seriously.
I completely agree. Everything is equal in my opinion, sure some things are considered less but are they? No.
Opinion seems to be the main problem. Which is why kepp all or delete all is the bets choice. Rejection upon judging how good/bad it is, is stupid.

And why should we keep only skins, models, and icons?

Me, I never used any icons or models for that matter. Just because you don't download maps, doesn't mean others don't. Because I do (did.)

Sigh...stupid how this all is.

Pyritie said:
Either that or do a voting system where if something gets enough bad votes, then it will be blammed.
No, that won't work. If someone dislikes someone, bam! There goes their work.

Level 13
Yea, I figured wc3sear.ch was still over quota.. I didnt realize how massively though.. 8 gigs? Jesus. Well, it would seem wc3sear.ch is lost...

Maybe if people created seperate websites and uploded their own data to them, then just created links back to the wc3sear.ch index. Maybe we could keep it alive.. That way everyone would be keeping track of his/her own models/icons/maps/scripts and whatnot. Afterall, thats how alot of large websites work.

Then again, if we did that wc3sear.ch wouldnt be an online community anymore. It would become an online continent.

Level 9
IEatGlue said:
Pyritie said:
No, that won't work. If someone dislikes someone, bam! There goes their work.
The voting system does work, if someone doesnt like a good resource, then nobody cares about that person. If nobody else likes that resource then it dies... which is good. If you want an example of a site where the voting system worked, try www.newgrounds.com

Level 3
Im sure noone remember's r0khan, :)

Ralle, I know this sounds like a repeat of what many people said and I have been dead from this community many times, but I am a supporter of people sharing there work and expressing idea's.

I understand WC3Search's position and I have a suggestion if I may.

I am good at PHP and so is a friend of mine, I wouldnt mind rewriting them to fit the new PHP, I know this sounds like a Rip-Off or a scam but I truely adore WC3Search for working together and storing a database of knowledge.

I appreciate you reading this and get back to me.

MSN & EMAIL: [email protected]

Oh and hey wulf =)

Level 6
IEatGlue said:
Opinion seems to be the main problem. Which is why kepp all or delete all is the bets choice. Rejection upon judging how good/bad it is, is stupid.
Yes, opinion is main problem of each police state, not in cultural society. Keep all or delete all is not best, but simpliest solution and my opinion (sry, I have opinion) is this is much more stupid than judging quality

IEatGlue said:
And why should we keep only skins, models, and icons?
Because maps consumes most of space and it is not resources that can be used for creation of another maps and resources is reason why this site is favorite, not maps

Level 2
IMHO do a 100% purge will just help to finish off this site, cause most people (including me) see this site as a huge database of ressources. So without ressources, it will become pointless...

And if you have to choose what ressources to keep, surely the skins, models and icons are the more useful for the mappers - as for the (good) maps, most of them are available elsewhere on the net, which is not the case of skins, models and icons. And this site is more important for mappers than for players, I suppose.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I agree with all of you.. The resources should be saved. I am not gonna import only some sections. I am gonna import all sections and let the moderators moderate the resources.
I will also import the posts, threads etc..

It'd be great if you all went to hive to post instead. I will start with importing the posts/topics/users/pms. Next is resources..

Status
Not open for further replies.