• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Need help with map size problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I was working happily on my map when I suddenly realize that it is 12.6 MB and about halfway finished!! I think it's because I have a lot of imported files on it but even if i only had like 10 it would still be like 8 MB which is twice the accepted size as well as screw up the awesome look of the map. I tried optimizing it and it lowered it about .2mb and thats it. 12.4 = not good. Is there something i can do to make it a reasonable size? I looked at the size of some of the maps on THW but they look as if they have WAAAAY more triggers, custom models, skins, spells and terrain than mine and are like 1 MB.. >.<

Level 21
In my experience, maxing all doodads and destructibles (and such) to around 16k (I think it's near this amount, but it could be 14k) only raises your mapsize by +/- 300 kb, which means that removing 1K will hardly reduce the map size.
The main problem usually are bad triggers (inefficient, usually made by unexperienced GUI users) but mainly imports. Prefer to use models that use in-game textures, and if they don't, try to compress every texture to a max. size of 75 kb (and dimensions of max. 256 * 256). The quality loss will be minimal while it reduces your mapsize a lot. Next on the import list: music. Preferably don't use any music at all, but if you need to: avoid .wavs unless for short sounds (2, 3 seconds). Try to reduce the bitrate of imported music themes to 128 or even less, that helps a lot.

The final map might also be reduced in size by protecting it with some sort of locker.

If you're still way above the Bnet limit, you simply have too many imports. It's as simple as that. Sometimes imports are necessary, but remember that they don't make your map good. They make a good map excellent.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Post calmly, a calm post is more likely to get a good and logical and helpful answer.

Major ways to reduce map size as stated 1000s of times before.
  • Do not use WEU, that can cause randomly many MB to be added.
  • Do not import custom music.
  • Do not use lots of long sounds, keep sounds short and small.
  • Do not use badly converted WoW models, they are often badly optimized and use many MB to store.
  • Use GUI over JASS, this can save a few KB, especially after optimization.
  • Keep all imports small in size.
  • Reduce the number of custom objects like spells used, this can really save not only loading time but also map size and if triggered right no one will notice.
  • Do not use the XXL oversized map that enhanced editors allow, stick the the standard max of normal WE, the XXL map can easily take 1.4 MB without anything on it.
  • Do not go too many doodads over the limate, it feels like you can have infinate but it will eventually make its toll on map size.
  • Save on making regions to refer to a location and instead rather refer to it using X and Y cordinates or a fixed location.
  • Remove and reimport all imports, this can fix any size bugs that may have happened.

If that still does not help you, you can manually diagnose where all the size is comming from by opening the map in a MPQ editor and checking the file sizes and then finding what the large files are. Once you know what is causing the large size you can deal with it acordingly.

I have also seen a bug where deleting files from an MPQ does not reduce its file size (like removing imports), maybe WE has this bug so try resaving the map as something completly different and seeing if there are any noticable file size differenced between the 2 maps.

Well hope this was helpfull, infact this should be posted somewhere for everyone to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.