• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unselectable Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi, I'm wondering how you can make a unit unselectable WITHOUT making it invulnerable, lose its base size and not able to be targeted.

So in essence I'm trying to make a unit that is owned by a player, but the player has no direct control over it while still allowing it to be attacked and able to attack.

Please don't mention the 'locust' ability unless you know how to make it work how I want.

K THX BAI! :thumbs_up:

**EDIT**: I don't care if the trigger makes all non-hero units unselectable.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm wondering how you can make a unit unselectable WITHOUT making it invulnerable, lose its base size and not able to be targeted.

So in essence I'm trying to make a unit that is owned by a player, but the player has no direct control over it while still allowing it to be attacked and able to attack.

Please don't mention the 'locust' ability unless you know how to make it compatible with my conditions.

K THX BAI! :thumbs_up:

What are your conditions? I can see if I can work with it.

They are my conditions lol, sorry bad choice of wording

ok... this might work.

• DeSelect
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) Selects a unit
      • Player - Player 2 (Blue) Selects a unit
      • Player - Player 3 (Teal) Selects a unit
      • Player - Player 5 (Yellow) Selects a unit
      • Player - Player 4 (Purple) Selects a unit
      • Player - Player 6 (Orange) Selects a unit
      • Player - Player 7 (Green) Selects a unit
      • Player - Player 8 (Pink) Selects a unit
      • Player - Player 9 (Gray) Selects a unit
      • Player - Player 10 (Light Blue) Selects a unit
      • Player - Player 11 (Dark Green) Selects a unit
      • Player - Player 12 (Brown) Selects a unit
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to YourUnit
        • Then - Actions
          • Selection - Clear selection for (Triggering player)
        • Else - Actions

Level 1
Hmmm, I have tried that already, unfortunately its not what I'm looking for as it lets you have selection of the unit for a very brief period then takes it away, which would still allow control over the unit if players are fast enough.

I'm looking for something that if you try to select the unit nothing happens at all, but still letting people target it with an attack.

Thx for trying though.

Level 1
I'm trying to do it for all non-hero units (I only use about 15 different units in game so I wouldn't be bothered if i had to change something for each individual unit). I should have mentioned that in my first post lol.

That works better but it still looks messy, id prefer if you couldn't select the unit at all. Ill use that as a last resort though lol :pgrin:

Question: Do you want to see the units HP Bar?
Because I have a solution which makes unit vulnerable, but unclickable (left-click).
Right-click and targeting skills still works. But as a result you won't be able to see the HP bar, neither when you mouse-over them nor when you hold alt. Also you wont see the selection circle. Only if you right-click / use skills on them.

Level 9
Question: Do you want to see the units HP Bar?
Because I have a solution which makes unit vulnerable, but unclickable (left-click).
Right-click and targeting skills still works. But as a result you won't be able to see the HP bar, neither when you mouse-over them nor when you hold alt. Also you wont see the selection circle. Only if you right-click / use skills on them.

Please post this solution of yours.

Basicly this is what you do:

You create a dummy unit, which enters the map, is being trained or w/e.
It's important that this unit is not the same as the original unit.

What you now do is, go to the Ability Tab and copy/edit the Chaos ability (Orc => Units => Chaos (Grunt))

You change the Data - New Unit Type to the original unit. Remove the Techtree Requirements and the ability is done.
You have to copy&edit this ability for every unit which you don't want to be selectable, changing the Data - New Unit Type.

Now you go to the Trigger Editor and make it, so that everytime the dummy unit, which we created before, enters the map is given the Locust ability. You can also give the ability in the object editor.
After that you give the unit the corresponding Chaos ability via the Trigger Editor and you're Done!

One important note:
DO NOT USE Unit - Hide and then Unit - Unhide, this will make the unit selectable again.
Also I highly suggest that you use the Chaos ability only on normal/ordinary combat units, as there are many little tricks hidden in this ability.
Such as the Build ability which workers have, is also applied to the new unit which is defined in the ability. Except that you have nothing you can build.

Level 13
You forgot one thing,locust ability cannot be added normally with triggers
you need to make a spellbook with locust
and than add that spellbook

not sure how your way work but i will try it

EDIT:damn this dragon guy is crazy!
how did you figure that out :D

it works great + rep

BTW_ this is what you guys need to do (at least a hope it will be more simple if i say it like this xD )
make dummy unit
-remove requirements from grunt ability
-edit new unit type - your unit type
-add ability to dummy unit
-add locust to dummy unit

now every your unit type is unselectable but attackable...

Last edited:
Level 6
another very simple but cool thing to do is to classify the unit as "ward" . However, it will still allow the player to issue move and attack orders, he wont be able to do anything else (think of it, what can you do with a serpent ward from shadow hunter?)

Status
Not open for further replies.