• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unreal Engine 4 is now free (excited as hell!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I don't know if a lot of you have heard about this but Unreal Engine 4 is now free which will be a massive boon for the indie game industry. All they require is a 5% royalty on anything you release which in my opinion is pretty reasonable.

Are any of you going to be developing games with this engine now that it's free to use? I'd eventually like to get a team together to make a FPS with some unique mechanics.

Level 24

I am working on a side scroller game where the concept is pretty much Warlock combined with Lost Magic and the magnificent game design of... me :D

Got the design like 70-75% finished but had a bit of trouble with my Visual Studio 2013.
Had 2010 professional but 2013 was a bit fcking up with 2010 and I ended up reinstalling it 2 times...

However, no I will not be joining any teams :D at least not until I finish by own shit.

Level 14
@Iceman: He's not the only one, I have it installed on my Desktop. Once I fix that I'm gonna download it myself!

@Ghostwolf: That's why I'm glad they made it a free download, with all the additional people using it, things will be fixed much more quickly due to all the additional feedback.

@Wietlol: Your game actually sounds like it has an interesting concept, are you planning to put it on Steam? I'll get people to help Greenlight it if so.

Level 14
Level 24
The biggest problem is Models and stuff.
For now I use the ugly blue models and some free shit that I found but it is not what I hope to be in the game.

I tried to find out how to convert .mdl/.mdx files to .obj or whatever but without success.
I think I will have to rely on my OP explanations to get the modellers to me...

Everything else than the models can be done by me, Concept, Design, Coding, Music, Sounds, Voices*1 and pobably publishing*2.
*1 I can ofcourse only do a few because the same voice over and over again is stupid and I can only do male voices.
*2 That is the only one that I have actually never done :D

Level 14
The biggest problem is Models and stuff.
For now I use the ugly blue models and some free shit that I found but it is not what I hope to be in the game.

I tried to find out how to convert .mdl/.mdx files to .obj or whatever but without success.
I think I will have to rely on my OP explanations to get the modellers to me...

Greenlight can help you find people to help develop your project and help develop resources, that's why I dig it so much. If you post screenshots on Greenlight, people would more than likely be eager to help you build models.

Level 9
This is truly interesting. I might be able to make a SHMUP bullet hell game on my own, but in a team.

I am still very busy, and I want to finish my current projects.

But I guess... I won't be able to touch it forever though since I have real dreams as well, and these real dreams are getting closer and closer to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.