• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

OpenWarcraft

Level 3
Hello everyone, my name is zealot, I am Unreal Engine enthusiast and I want to introduce my project: OpenWarcraft

This is my attempt to recreate Warcraft 3 in Unreal, using all benefits of modern engine technology. I want to create a completely open source project, with which everyone could feel class Warcraft gameplay with achievements of modern graphics. Everyone who has licensed mpq files of course.

In the video above you could see the current state of the project: UE mannequin running on Echo Isles map.

I set my next goalslf, from less to more ambitious:

Run classic maps.
Run custom maps.
Run the entire Warcraft 3 campaign.
Recreate WorldEditor as a handful Unreal plugin, that allows everyone to create own simple RTS\RPG games.

Q: Does the project depend on Storm.dll?
A: No. It contains algorithms from Storm.dll, rewrited in not so "this is the middle of 90x" way

Q: What works now?
A: Mpq parsing, creating level mesh from w3e file, and doodads platsing from .doo file. tiling (badly). mdx parsing and loading at runtime.

Q: What does not work?
A: Everything else.

Any ideas, critics, suggestions and questions are welcome.

Level 9
It reminded me of Retera's project, Warsmash. Have you checked out his project yet? Both have similar goals, at least as far as I remember the Retera project.

Good, working on this project trains your Unreal Engine skills and other skills involved in creating games. If this project gets big, it will have the benefit of expanding the limits that Warcraft 3 has, both programming, player limits, etc.

Level 3
It reminded me of Retera's project, Warsmash. Have you checked out his project yet? Both have similar goals, at least as far as I remember the Retera project.

Good, working on this project trains your Unreal Engine skills and other skills involved in creating games. If this project gets big, it will have the benefit of expanding the limits that Warcraft 3 has, both programming, player limits, etc.
Thank you for your attention.

I have already seen Warmash. It's a very interesting project, but as I could understand, Retera builds its own engine, so, he needs to do a lot of work that UE already implements.

For now, I extend mdx parsing and could create a more believable environment. For example, this is the current render of the ROC start screen.
506c1d277f3d23a7c4ecc25fc64965d6.jpg

I am still confused with the bones number in this mdx model. For example, in this model there are more than 300. I ask a question here
Maybe you know a answer?