• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Epic released an indy version of UE3 today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I don't think very many of you here (if any) keep track of the game development scene all that much, but today, Epic released a free version of the Unreal Engine 3, the engine used in UT3, GoW, etc. Completely free for Indie development (you have to pay a 25% royalty fee after the first $5000 in revenue). It includes all of the tools used with UE3.

Seriously, this makes the future of PC gaming brighter, during a time when developers are shunning the PC in favor of consoles.

I cannot convey in words how exciting this is.

Level 15
Meh i dont need this, since i already bought ut3 and i've got everything mwaahaahahaha

with UT3, you just get the editor, this includes EVERYTHING. Plus, you can't make standalone games with the UT3 editor, with this you can.

Here you go Py, just look over the list of features, realtime shadows are only available with Unity Pro. http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses I mean sure, you can use lightmaps, but who wants to use those when you can get 10x better for free?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

That's awesome. I can't really express myself any further than that. Awesome.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Pathing engine? A full engine just to determine the pathing of units? Sounds rather extreme, but I don't know much about it..

Status
Not open for further replies.