• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Epic game that pits FPS against RTS!!!1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Just when I thought free games couldn't get any better with the release of America's Army 3 (a realistic modern-day combat simulator that runs on the Unreal 3 Engine, which is epic), it did- Battleswarm: Field of Honor is a game (started by I BELIEVE the guy who made Pong, which is epic in it's own right) that is basically a little like Starship Troopers- a bunch of Human players hunker down in a base and have to hold off against an onslaught of Aliens, which are controlled by up to two players from an RTS perspective. The Human team essentially plays the game as a third-person shooter, with very fluid movement and shooting, while the Alien team has to spawn an onslaught of Aliens in order to destroy three Human-protected power generators. The Humans have to use twitch-based skills to fend off the Aliens, while the Aliens need to tactically and skillfully rush-and-flank the Humans.

I'm going to review this game shortly after I get my lazy arse up and review America's Army 3, but in any case- check it out! It's free, and although it can get a bit confusing in the beginning, it's worth atleast trying.

[Discuss]

Level 34
That seems pretty cool, but due to it being free, probably not very polished, or with much content.

Level 15
It's actually pretty varied in terms of objectives and what-not. Sometimes it's a Starship Troopers-style base defense, and sometimes you don't have a base and must assault an Alien base and destroy it, and sometimes it's a traditional deathmatch between two teams of a few Aliens and Humans. It all depends on the map, and there are PLENTY of those. The only issues I've encountered were localization problems- there are many features the game has that it doesn't tell you about, and you must learn yourself. For example, the fact that you can enter a game in progress, but can only watch it.

It's fun though. Seeing you and your team side-by-side, furiously trying to stop the Aliens from attacking your generator, never gets old.

Edit: The music is terribly generic and repetitive, however. I ended up turning it off completely and listened to my own.

Level 13
Well I decided to try this out. It's fun and all, I'm just not all that happy with the animations and how items are handeled. Also the whole timed items and the coin system really get in the way of paying both bugs and humans in my opinnion. None the less the game is fun even if a bit repetetive sometimes.

My favourite mode by far is the Killing Zone (or W/E) where the teams are 6 humans and 2 bugs vs 6 humans and 2 bugs.

Level 15
Reminds me a bit of gears of war. There's a hl2 mod with a same concept and i can tell it's pretty fun "Zombie Master", can be found in the steam store for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.