• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unofficial 2D Contests: Emoticons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
209078-albums6896-picture76003.png

[rainbow]Hello guys,[/rainbow]

There has been a certain lack of Art Contests and I decided to start one myself and eventually, if successful, make more. Since this isn't moderator supported, there will be no Judges and no Rewards for first places (except maybe I'll rep everyone who joins and does something and rep the winners twice or so). The winners will be chosen with a User Voting system. To avoid cheating only the contestants will be able to vote.

[rainbow]Theme:[/rainbow]

Ok... so, the theme I chose is "Holy" (you can still choose the old "Angelic" if you wish).

[rainbow]Time:[/rainbow]

The contest shall begin on 22nd of November and conclude on 20th of December, 11:59 PM [UTC]. (That's around 27 days I know it's not much but we could increase it if you guys need more time)

[rainbow]Rules:[/rainbow]

209078-albums6896-picture76005.png

The Emoticon can be animated or non animated, it is up to the Creator to decide. Animated emoticons often get more points of course :p cuz they look more bad ass.

209078-albums6896-picture76007.png

The Emoticon can be anything - special effects, little weapons, anything. I'd recommend making a face though, since it's more usable in forums.

209078-albums6896-picture76006.png

The Emoticon must be maximum 35 pixels Width and Height, with 2-3 pixel free space from all sides. (exceptions can be made, if the unit has a long head, horns, spikes, wings, some background or stuff like that (with maximum of 15 pixels extension) The Emoticon can also exceed the pixel Size if the animation (if it has one) requires it.)

209078-albums6896-picture76004.png

You can make from 1 to 6 emoticons, they don't have to represent the same thing (like voidwalker Laugh and voidwalker Cry), they just have to be on theme (Holy).

209078-albums6896-picture76005.png

The Emoticon's preferable background is transparent. Animated emoticons can skip that since .gif files don't support half-trasnparency (For example, if you have a glow, which is 20% Red (255 0 0) on a transparent background it will become white).

[rainbow]Contestants:[/rainbow]

Contestants:

Roland
Apheraz Lucent
stonneash
Hera_

People who might join:

Wrathion
Amargaard
Chenralstrasz
Vladadamm
RED BARON

[rainbow]Tutorials:[/rainbow]

[rainbow]1[/rainbow]

(I made this little tutorial for people who have never made emoticons (not that I have WOW!) to show you that it's not much different from painting normally. You just gotta work with pixels.)
Create the limits of the face and the position of the eyes.

209078-albums6896-picture76011.png

Create the lines of the face.

209078-albums6896-picture76012.png

Base colors and the overall value of the paintings (main highlights and shadows areas).

209078-albums6896-picture76013.png

Now, add an imaginary light source --> darken one side of the face more than the other. Leave the middle area lighted, to focus on the eyes. The eyes, nose, mouth area are the most important from an emoticon. They display it's emotion, the thing you want to represent.

209078-albums6896-picture76014.png

Now add the details. You're done :cgrin:

209078-albums6896-picture76015.png

Now start moving parts of the face with 1-2 pixels up/down/right/left. For animating it. Make more frames than 1 (more movements). After that, with some program simply make them play one after another. As I said before, if you don't have such a program, ask me (or someone else) and I'll merge them in a .gif

209078-albums6896-picture76016.png

209078-albums5742-picture76000.gif
209078-albums5742-picture76002.gif

[rainbow]2[/rainbow]

(A tutorial about Gif making in Photoshop. It's rather large and I had to make it a downloadable PS file. Every step is explained in it's own layer, unlike the previous tutorial)

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=oxqc8c

Good
209078-albums5742-picture76002.gif
luck.

Also, I believe emoticons are some kind of textures so I posted it here. They are the User Interface of a site, are they not :?

:vw_wtf: :vw_love: :wink: :grin: :goblin_yeah: :cgrin: :vw_death: :thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 28
Oh I see. Well, for emoticon creation, you can even use a program like Paint - it's just pixel work. I had never created emoticons before in my life until today, and well, it takes time at first.. but once you get the hang of it, it's a lot faster. And also, animating an emoticon is just making frames (many pictures with a little movement in the pixels). And after that you just use a program to combine them in a .gif file. Actually, I will add that to the description, so that other people can see it, in case they want to know how it is done. Or at least I think it's done that way wow xD

Roland

R

Roland

I want to Join, sorta.

But I prefer Paint.Net, it's a easy Pixel making tool for Minecraft weapon makers it's easy and a Precise tool. I use Paint net to make small emoticons such as Avatars, but I mostly make some Graphics.

Level 28
Hmm? Even if we do have Emoticon contests, it was in the past right :? We can have another one, why not ^^ And since I'm organizing a small event here, I don't want to give a theme (it might make some people give up, since they might not like the chosen theme). Draw whatever you want, Chenrals. Also, Roland, I never said you have to use the programs I specified above, you can do it with whatever program you like :cgrin:

Level 28
The Voidwalker emoticon is 40x40. In fact, I think 45 is a lot :D I'm still unsure whether to make a minimum size, cuz some people might make smaller emoticons which will normally lose to the large ones, since they will have less detail. There has to be a 2-3 pixels free space from all sides of the icon, which, basically makes it around 40 pixels. Actually, I'll add that to the rules, thanks for the comment Hera. Also, don't forget that:
(exceptions can be made, if the unit has a long head, horns, spikes or stuff like that. The Emoticon can also exceed the pixel Size if the animation (if it has one) requires it.)

Roland

R

Roland

Off topic:
Damn you morbent you added me and Chris (Minimage) from a group chat accidently, well, I left the conversation on skype..

On Topic:
Some emoticons can be made depending on their Pixel size.

Roland

R

Roland

Yes, I'm in, I'll be making some Angel tardies :3 And the ones with wings :p

Level 28
Ok, just to mention, in case you guys don't see it - I changed the maximum size for the Face of the Emoticon to 35x35 (from 45x45) after checking many emoticons (from Skype, THW, Facebook and other sites). I believe it's enough.. I mean, bigger emoticons aren't very useful anyways. But since it's angelic, I would expect people to want to put wings or holy background stuffs and objects, so the Extension Rule will be changed to 15 :p (from 5)

Also, do you want me to put the contestants who said they might participate in the first post :?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Hmm, are we obligated to do an emoticon with a face ? Because i don't have much inspiration atm for an head that fits the theme.
Think of it this way: "Emoticon" is a portmanteau between "emotion" and "icon", meaning "an icon that shows an emotion". This, combined with the realization that most emotion is communicated through the face (facial expressions & such), leads one to the common idea of making a "face" emoticon.

However, this is not the only thing one can do: case in point, :fp::carr::cq::cexc::cidea:

Oh yes true, Kyrbi. I forgot those emots xD Ok so do you want me to change it :? But it would be harder to choose the best from them then.. They will be quite different I assume >.< Vladadamm, why don't you instead make a face + special holy effects :? That would be quite cool.
No, it's ok.

Hmm, i could try, but i'm not that good of an artist, even in pixel art.

Roland

R

Roland

Here's some of my Examples/Templates for my Tard smiley, I found them in DeviantArt.
tard_angel_x3_by_zap284.gif
Happy_angel_by_CookiemagiK.png
e9b7353693d0fad0a65c3d15a95e48b9.png

Level 28
No, no, I meant the Post from the "inside" with all the code names and such ;D But that's off-theme so lets switch that theme to something else. O, now I remembered. I intend to make a little tutorial about gif making in Photoshop. Sadly, I don't know other ways to make it (except some google fucked-up programs, but they are quite.. fucked-up). I think GIMP has a similar animation making to Photoshop?? I don't use it very often, just for threshold and alpha channel.

Level 28
Nope, you can. If you have Photoshop you can check the downloadable file I left in the first post. I'm pretty sure some tutorial about it could be found in YouTube as well.

Hmm, I'm not familiar with Adobe Fireworks... what exactly is it for :? Animating? Cuz gif making is a lot simpler than 2d animation. (however, answer me (if you will) in my Profile, cuz we got too off-theme here xD)

Status
Not open for further replies.