• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Emoticon Contest #3 - Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
It's been 6 years since we last have an emoticon contest here on hive. And as Hive 2 came, with a new UI, I think we are ready for another new set of emotes to be added to the site's collection. Gather some ideas and suggestions folks!

Previouse Contest Themes:
Emoticon Challenge #1
Emoticon Contest #2 - Creeps!

Suggestions List:

Horde Leaders > create a set of emoticons based on the leaders of the Horde, Thrall, Garrosh, Sylvanas, etc. The emoticon could be based on only one unit but it could also be not.

Alliance Leaders > create a set of emoticons based on the leaders of the the Alliance, like Varian, Jaina, Muradin, etc. The emoticon could be based on only one unit but it could also be not.

StarCraft > create a set of emoticons based on any unit(s) from the StarCraft franchise.

Hive Workshop User Representation > create a set of emoticons representing any user on Hive. Take for example, Ralle. He could be represented as a Tauren or refer to his avatar.

Race Draft > Everyone picks a Warcraft 3 race (creep, demon, undead, whatever) and gets to draw X emoticons from that race. Each race cannot be picked twice. However, there can be 2 people for 1 race if the amount of participants becomes greater than the amount of races available.​

Retro/classic game sprites > Either existing games or custom sprites made in the spirit of the 8/16 bit gaming era.​

Think EarthBound, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Mega Man, etc.​
~~~
Also, I think the criteria for judging needs to be revised. It is so outdated (2010). Recommendations/Suggestions for the revision of the criteria is appreciated!

Quality
Is the emoticon well made? Are there floating white pixels? If it's animated, does the animation loop well? /20

Originality
Is the idea original? Or has it been done to death before? /10

Clarity
Is it easy to see what it's expressing without squinting? /10

Last edited:
Level 24
I'm thinking;

DOTA 2 Heroes - Pick a hero from Dota 2, preferably those that are mostly used, and create an emote of them.
LOL Champions - Same above, but LOL Champions this time
Hiveworkshop Officers (Not Sure) - Make an emote of the site's admin, officers, moderators, etc. you could use their ranking icons or avatar' as a reference.
Horde Leaders - leaders of the Horde, Thrall, Garrosh, Sylvanas, etc.
Alliance Leaders - same above, only the Alliance, like Varian, Jaina, Muradin, etc.

Edit:

Starcraft Units or Leaders - yeah, you get the point.

Level 28
1. Uh, how many emoticons?

2. And how will Hive users be usable though? Fun - yes, usable and relatable to all members - ehh..? I don't know. This will be really hard to draw since most of these members are related to a big image which just simply can't be put in a small image.
Like, what are you gonna draw for Archian Archian ? He used to use an Imperius if I recall correctly but drawing an Imperius or an Archimonde doesn't really describe him specifically much. More like an Imperius emoticon.

3. Another important (well for me) question is the size of the emoticon - usually, the smaller the better, since texts don't allow for huge emoticons but the last Contest used very large sizes :vw_death:(even though amazing)
testtttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
text text text test:neap:
ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
tttttttttttttttttttt ttt:wconfused: - these are better in size I suppose. Well, if anyone cares about this.

4. I'm thinking we're still lacking some generic Warcraft 3 units, like the Crypt Fiend, Ghoul, Peasant n such.

5. Or we could try to make like the Orc Smilies but for the other Warcraft 3 races (Campaign Naga and Blood elf included). I bet those will really come in handy... although I'm not sure what the undead will be.. a ghoul? I don't want us to go the WoW route of a specific undead-human. Maybe a skeleton?... Hmm.
The good part about this is that most emoticons will be the same and most will not be animated, however, it's a lot of work if we wanna do it rightly. 4 emots won't do, we'd need like 14 or so.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
1. We could have at least 7 emoticons (different variations of course and it could be animated or not)
2. That's what I've been thinking though too.
3. We could size it down if everybody agrees.
4. Good point. Since this would be the third one it could be a great idea.

Voting for Hive user related... could be a funny challenge and a nice wink towards the community.
You know. You already have one that represents you and you are the one who made it. XD haha

Keep it coming tho.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
This could be fun: Everyone picks a Warcraft 3 race (creep, demon, undead, whatever) and gets to draw X emoticons from that race. A race can't be picked twice. We can roll on the races if 2 people want the same or stuff like that.
A good thought. However, what name could we give to it?

Twitch-esque is very popular now-a-days. Maybe emotes like
HiveKappa, ect. ect.

On second thought: There might be legal issues with that.
Copyright. :>

buy stickmen.

stick-man-postcard-energy.jpg

How about we do some Mario type Boo ghosts?

Level 28
Oh, I'm definitely in. Pretty busy these days but emoticons are fun, I'll free some time to give it my best :cgrin:

Regarding more ideas... I don't know man. I'll try and conjure up a few.

- Diablo emoticons? Not that many fans here though and it could decrease the contestants... so, probably not.

- Freestyle? Everyone does whatever? We could get more contestants this way... but most will probably not be Hive-usable.

- Hands. We don't have many hand emoticons, like thumbs up&down, the ok_hand (I don't know how that motion is called), point_right, :pray:, clap. Etc. I mean, we do have a few but only in orcish versions. Hands are pretty useful but at the same time not so fun to draw.

So... This is what I came up with for now. I'm honestly against all of my three themes, but you know... Considering those might spark new ideas.

Suggestion: Merge Alliance and Horde leaders (and let people pick one if the theme is selected). Also, please make the vote multi when the time comes :D
Questions & Suggestion: "If it's animated, does the animation loop well?" Do animated emoticons get a bonus? Shouldn't all emots be animated? What's the medium frame count? Lets establish these rules better, to avoid confusion once the contest begins.

Archian, I'll keep that in mind, but you get my point. Many people often change avatars and thus, their image. We could just ask members I suppose...

Moy

Moy

Level 49
I'm definitely up with Freestyle it could gather contestants and we'll have more freedom. Well there'll be judging and poll so I think winners won't be unusable.

Diablo could be limiting and as you've said could decrease the number of contestants.

Hand Gestures you mean? It'll also be good as long as it is Hive-related I guess.

any hopes on making this contest for sure?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.