• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unofficial 2D Contests: Emoticons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
Hmm... Gifs are some type of 2d animations, so they are an underclass of 2d animation. But gifs only have 256 colors (I think?) and are quite blurry... also, gifs are image files and 2d animation is mainly referred to Video Files. So if you want to make gifs I'd suggest not to use 2d Animation Programs (like Adobe Fireworks, as Jad said) cuz they will be quite more complicated than you actually need it to be. There are hundreds of programs which can make you a simple gif file, it's quite easy. You just draw your frames and the only thing the program must do is put them in some order. With 2d animation programs, you have computer generated frames, many options and such. Too complicated I say :D

Roland

R

Roland

Hi, I'm sorry I can't join the contest due to my Respiratory illness, I made some Ideas on my Scratch paper, As soon I'll be scanning it to the Computer I'll show my ideas and I'll be really joining when I'm completely Recovered.

"Life Sucks" -KingZ

Level 23
AFAIK you can't make gifs in photoshop, and i think you 'can' well i am not sure, but you can make one in Adobe Fireworks

You can. You can even import videos and convert each frames into layers. But you need to download QuickTime to do it. ^^

Anyway, I think I'll be making some generic smilies with halo and wings or maybe a cat with halo and wings. Still not sure though.

Roland

R

Roland

I primary Use Paint.Net for all kinds of Graphic designs, It's more easier than GIMP and Photoshop.

Roland

R

Roland

Does it have to be Gif when it's not animated or animated? Png will be more better for static emoticons. but gif is more better for animated ones.

Roland

R

Roland

Well, I think Jpg isn't a good quality for Pixel arts, I mean, if you're in JPG Format and you magnified the Cube, it shows artifacts. Here's the image below.

DgxjQqm.png

If I can be really healthy, I would compete this challenge, Not this time.

Roland

R

Roland

Mkay, But I really Recommend you folks to use PNG Format for Static images and GIF for Animated.

Level 35
No, no guys, you misunderstood me xD Gif is ONLY for animated ones, png/jpg/whatever you want for static ones. Cuz I don't know of other animated image formats except gif hmm.

Well, firefox and crome does support APNG, which is a way better format than GIF. Its just a shame not many now about it nor use it. It even allows proper transparency in an animated picture, allowing for a lot more option as to design, without having to make it solid. However it is still too unused that I can safely recommend it for this contest.

Also, I guess I can participate if I get the time to do it.

Level 28
Hmm, I didn't know about this APNG.. must be something new I guess :cgrin:? Actually, I often wondered why I hadn't seen other Animated Image Formats... that support more colors at least! WOW! If not transparency.

Cakedog, nice sarcasm wow -.- No really xD

I normally would post 10 wips but since I started this contest I'm not sure if I can participate in it :X

Red Baron, I'll add ya to "People who might join", I hope you don't mind.

Level 35
Hmm, I didn't know about this APNG.. must be something new I guess :cgrin:? Actually, I often wondered why I hadn't seen other Animated Image Formats... that support more colors at least! WOW! If not transparency.

Cakedog, nice sarcasm wow -.- No really xD

I normally would post 10 wips but since I started this contest I'm not sure if I can participate in it :X

Red Baron, I'll add ya to "People who might join", I hope you don't mind.

Its animated png format :wsmile: so a lot more options right there. Recently a kickstarter got enough fund to make a proper tool for creating them, something that has also been lacking.

Anyway, okay to the "might".

Roland

R

Roland

DUN DUN DUNNNNN! DUN!

The Contest is now done! can't wait for the results but I'll be predicting this shit:
1. Cakedog
2. Roland

:p

Level 28
Well... Hmm, should we make a user voting poll or shall I/someone else judge it :?

K.. so, since there was a certain lack of contestants I won't rep you anymore guys -.- +your entries weren't really finished, by the rules :D Still.. at least you entered. Thanks guys.

I will make another contest - this time for concepts, I really hope more people will join it :p The winner here will decide what the theme for the concept contest will be... that will be the award I guess :X

Level 35
Well... Hmm, should we make a user voting poll or shall I/someone else judge it :?

K.. so, since there was a certain lack of contestants I won't rep you anymore guys -.- +your entries weren't really finished, by the rules :D Still.. at least you entered. Thanks guys.

I will make another contest - this time for concepts, I really hope more people will join it :p The winner here will decide what the theme for the concept contest will be... that will be the award I guess :X

He don't end it yet :p Some of us might just still be working, though that someone might just be so tired that he won't finish until he slept some more that is tomorrow. Also that someone noticed an option for extensions :wgrin:

Level 35
Extensions :D? But I thought people wanted it to end as soon as possible xD Oh well. So be it.. Ehm.. How many days do you need :?

Well, if I don't finish before the 24th I don't finish, so well about that time.. shall we say 2 days haha :wgrin: (I basically just woke up after falling asleep soon after writing the previous message, now I am going to bed again).

Roland

R

Roland

You extended the contest but I don't know when will it end, I already posted my final shitty entries.

Level 35
Wait.. I'm confused, did this contest end :? Or are we still in the extension period?

I am assuming in the extension period, that is if you want to see what I am creating, though I didn't time to finish (busy wrapping presents, decorating a tree), and likely won't get time tomorrow (Busy eating, singing, dancing and unwrapping presents). However I do hope to do it on the day after (first Christmas day), as though I am doing the same as the day before I will likely have some time in the night.

Alas you can also decide to end it, but that is up to you. Personally I hope for the extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.