• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Troll Campaign

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
About time for a real update, don't you think?

Troll Campaign v1.4a Changelog​

• Chapters 3 and 4 are now fully playable:
Chapter 3: Children of the Void - an extensive micro mission, featuring rich lore, unique and challenging bosses, submaps, puzzles, and more.
Chapter 4: Tunnel Vision - a hectic macro mission where you can employ the (near) full arsenal of the troll techtree against multiple enemies.
The new chapters feature countless new assets, custom tilesets, and custom music.
  • Reworked Kruppe's Summon Shop ability. The shop is now constantly present on the map; activating the ability will instantly move the shop in front of Kruppe.
  • Added a new event in Chapter 1's first quest, ensuring that the player meets Kruppe.
  • Updated the Ravager model to now correctly match its mounted version.
  • Chief Turanga now has a unique model.
  • Many minor bug fixes, tooltip changes, ability optimizations, and balance modifications.
Update14aScrn1.png

Update14aScrn2.png

Update14aScrn3.png

Update14aScrn4.png

Update14aScrn5.png

DL.png
Note: the project has grown significantly since the last update. So much so in fact, that I can no longer upload the campaign file to this thread.
So for testing purposes, use the Google Drive link above. Soon enough, the project will reach a completion stage where I'm happy to upload it to the Hive's database.

Note 2: To get the most out of these two chapters, I recommend playing them in the correct sequence (choices in Chapter 3 matter for Chapter 4).

Last edited:
Level 21
Well what a ride!
Played through the first 2 chapters in no time. And chapter 3 looks to be the best so far.
Bit on the easy side, despite choosing hard difficulty.

Btw, quenching works alright, but some bugs remained:
  • chest models invisible (gotta guess where they are)
  • custom main menu not displaying
  • custom ui not showing
  • some icons mismatching between classic and hd version
Now, don't mind me, i'll head into the depths again. I wonder what terrors await.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Thanks for the feedback so far. I can only assume the graphical bugs are based on the use of custom assets.
Some items use the default chest model, they're probably visible. Many others (runes, orbs, quest items) use custom assets that might not show up.
Same with icons probably. Classic-looking icons are custom assets; HD versions are game-default. Ditto with the UI.

Oh and keep in mind, I've not really designed the campaign with difficulty settings (yet?). No matter what the war3 in-game settings say you'll get the same experience :)

Looking forward to hearing what you think of the rest!

Level 21
Too bad it stopped working now:
The transition to a submap (i suspect at least) in chapter 3 malfunctions (kicks me into the main menu). I bet it's the same for all submaps, sadly.

So now i need to replay everything (unless you pm me a cheatcode to chapter 3 hint hint) on a 1.27b version, or what would you recommend?!

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
I was wondering if that would happen. Unfortunate, but still good to know. Probably has something to do with file names and Quenching interactions. Might be valuable info for the Quenching team as well, I'll give them a shout.

On classic patches (where the campaign screen works) you can start straight from chapter 3. All the buttons are unlocked before release to make testing easier. Your heroes will have a few less stats and items on them (skipped tomes and opt quests) but it's nothing drastic.

Keep in mind though that I made this on 1.29, so 1.27b might not be able to run it. Not sure about ch3, but in ch4 I'm definitely taking advantage of the 24 player slots which did not exist before 1.29.

Level 21
Interesting,
in Quenching i have to unlock all the chapters (it's mimicking reforged campaigns in some way i assume).
Also, i can verify that 1.27 is not working.
Trying 1.29 now.

P.s: Those mushroom enemies are cool! I wonder where you got the model from, could swear i saw them around here some time ago?!
- ah they are from Callahan nvm

edit: well, getting 1.29 seems like an impossible task, i'll keep on digging
edit2: [Need Help] Back to 1.29 got me covered, finally back in (this time without any bugs)

Last edited:
Level 21
Chapter 4 was quite intense.
I thought right until the end, that i had to beat the timer, silly me it was just about the third artifact (tried 3 times to steamroll my way through the insect hordes :gg:).

So it's a cliffhanger, what do you think is the ETA of chapter 5?

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
You raise a good point. I'll consider a couple of tweaks to communicate the quest objectives more clearly with the next update.

As for what's on the roadmap: I've got an interlude in the works after which I'll commence development on chapter 5. Once these two are finished I'll consider the campaign (or rather this act of it) done, and I'll do a proper release in the Hive's database.

Keep in mind that the interlude will be fully custom animated so I can't really give you an accurate ETA. Maybe Christmas? That's probably a bit generous but we'll see.

Level 2
Hello. A very good campaign, I've always been interested in trolls as races, and at least someone made a normal campaign with them.

Level 23
I can only assume Quenching does something name-related to the files as well, which is why the save/load triggers aren't working.
Glad it's working now. Keep me posted!
If Quenching is giving issues, I suggest people try out using the campaign splitter, it is a tool made specifically to play campaigns on 1.32+.

This campaign looks great, trolls for the most part never get any love in custom campaigns, this might be the first CC where trolls are the central characters to the story.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Well I mean, I'm not too surprised. Submaps are finicky even without adding Reforged into the equation. I've always considered the project for 1.29 anyway. Reforged ports are a low priority, definitely something to look at post-release.

will there be a chapter in which we will enter Ny'alotha?
Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Level 16
Really like this project. So far, so good. Just finished the demo and it was refreshing! Liked how void spells of aqir heroes and their effects, and they are one hell of bugs to deal with. 10/10 on music score: especially liked the one in 3rd mission's titan forge. 8.5/10 on narration; dialogues are quite literary and very enjoyable; especially Kruppe's lines xD. I can see much thoughts put into writing these lines. Would be more perfect if more literary devices are used such as alliteration and occasional poems & riddles thro the campaign. 9/10 on gameplay; there were occasional bugs such as at 4th mission, Kaldra's avatar can't be summoned no matter how much I tried to click on combined artifact and even switched to and fro with a trio; to no avail. Only stats remained. Storyline is nice with Zando now in league with his apprentice as a talisman, and exactly how Aqir vs Troll war is supposed to be depicted. There was this hilarious Danse Macabre (found out it was Street Manifesto xD) moment in 3rd mission's ziggurat and that cheesed the fun of campaign. Also fitted well with Bwonsamdi's rather sassy personality. Just amount of work and soul put into this moment... good things indeed take time. Heroes are well-balanced and can take out entire aqir army if well-managed. And yeah Rendar is... duno why but
🥵
. I wonder if it will be possible to play as aqir sometime in the future with Kith'ix as hero. I recommend some silent hill themes along with black empire theme if playing as old gods' forces is possibility. GL😌

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Thank you for the kind words. I do put a lot of effort into writing the dialogue. It's a fine line between giving enough information and not becoming too verbose. Writing in prose is a bit beyond my capabilities, but who knows. Sometimes it all comes down to inspiration. Riddles are great in lore-oriented micro missions, and are something I'd love to do one day. I recall there were some in the Dwarf Campaign, and that's been a major source of inspiration for me (if the name didn't give it away ;))

I'll have a look at Kaldra's Armour Set. The summon ability is there from what I can see in the object data. Perhaps something in the triggered way the player obtains the item causes a glitch.

Level 20
I've tried to play the first chapter on 1.29.2 but, as soon as the opening cinematic ended (beautiful cinematics btw), there is no music (neither custom or the standard orc one). The cinematic music worked fine. I tried to launch the 2nd chapter and I have the opposite problem; there is no music in the cinematic and, once the gameplay start, the standard orc music plays (I haven't played the campaign in a while so I can't remember if there are custom musics outside of cinematics).

I've tried switching the music on and off and saving/loading the chapter. Has anyone come across this problem ?

Level 20
Hmm, that's weird. Seems to work fine on my end (exact version is 1.29.2.9231). Chapter 2 uses the default orc music other than in cinematics, so at least that part makes sense. Is your music enabled prior to starting the campaign?
Yes that was the first thing I checked. Tried restarting after checking and there was still no music. I guess I'll play on 1.31 and hope there won't be a problem later in the campaign. Just to be sure, does the 1st chapter also have the default orc music ? Because that's what I get on 1.31.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Nope, the first chapter is all custom music. Cinematics and gameplay. You get one playlist during the first two quests, and then another during quests 3 and 4.

Do let me know how it works on 1.31, and whether the same problems persist in chapters 3 and 4. Music is an essential aspect of building the right atmosphere so it's definitely something I need to address before release.

I believe I'm using the SetMapMusic native for custom playlists on all maps sans chapter 2, but I'll need to double-check that.

EDIT: @A]mun @Ecstasy49 since you played the newest version quite recently, did you have any similar experiences with the music?

Last edited:
Level 7
one of the best wow i mean 'wow' is all i can say great concept i like the spells the story bownsamdi singing its amazing what people can do nowdays tired of scourage of lorderon remakes and updates and sheit this is a masterpeice keep the great work concept is so good unique story telling just great i like the item combination clearly alot of time has been invested in this big thumbs up 5/5

Level 8
Mr. frostwhisper
I have a question about optional quest in chapter one. I can't find the second optional quest in chapter one. Could you tell me how should the second optional quest in chapter one be found.

Attachments

• question.png
    question.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Level 4
As soon as I started Chapter 1, I had problems with the music. After the cinematics, the music disappears. This happened in 1.29.2 btw. Tried with 1.31 but the default orc music played. What patch should I use?

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
As soon as I started Chapter 1, I had problems with the music. After the cinematics, the music disappears. This happened in 1.29.2 btw. Tried with 1.31 but the default orc music played. What patch should I use?
1.29.2 should be the correct patch. You're not the first person to report a music issue. Could you try this version and tell me if the issue persists?
DOWNLOAD

The below trigger can be triggered repeatedly. Every time i passes the area, it will be triggered.
Thanks for catching that! It's been fixed.

Appreciate the feedback, folks.

Level 20
Just played the first chapter with the latest version (the one in the post above). The music worked well but it only lasted until the caravan reached its destination. Nothing after that point. Is this normal ? (I've tried reloading the game and skipping the cinematic but neither worked). Either way, the campaign is still awesome :peasant-grin:

Level 24
Stumbled across this. Honestly, sounds great. And better than what amateur voice actors could do. I was heavily considering using AI voices for my campaign too, but its hard to justify spending actual money on ElevenLabs for projects that do not yield returns.

Also, campaign looks great from what I've seen. I sense a lot of love poured into it. Definitely gonna try it out.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Heck yeah man, thanks for blazing that trail. I've been struggling about what to do re: voices myself (since I'm also doing Trolls, but also don't have a Jamaican accent); it really sounds quite impressive. It's amazing what voices can do for a project.

What system/program/website/AI are you using? How much did it cost?