• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Transforming hero issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm working on a hero whose ultimate spell permanently transforms him, improving all his abilities. I tried giving the alternate unit the improved spells, but while that changed most of the abilities, I still could only learn and level up the base unit's abilities. I also tried adding an ability to the alternate unit based on the Engineering Upgrade, as well as removing the abilities via triggers and adding the new ones after the transformation was complete, but I got similar results.

It's worth noting that the only ability I can't change with any method is a modified Polymorph, and the upgraded version is based on Channel with some triggers to make it aoe.

Level 20
If your spell is based on Bear Form or Metamorphosis, make sure you've filled this field of your base unit with your transformed unit in the unit editor

1681856970268.png

(The other way around doesn't seem to be necessary)

What if the original Polymorph skill that you change to Area Polymorph with engineering upgrade was also based on channel? That way, when you change a single target Channel ability to an area point target Channel ability, the behavior of the ability successfully changes? If you use engineering upgrade to change Polymorph to Channel then as long as the hero already learned the skill, the CAbility would be of the class CAbilityPolymorph and attempt to cast a polymorph with Channel's data fields and properties. But if you have a CAbilityChannel and change its data fields from single target to area with the upgrade, I imagine it would probably "just work."

The only challenge then is to make the Single Target Polymorph channel based ability have the effect of actually polymorphing, which requires whatever dummy caster system you use for the AoE skill to be available through triggers for that single target skill too.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
So they broke Engineering Upgrade in patch 1.32 and have yet to fix it. The only solution I know of is to trigger everything. I attached a map with a working system that allows a single Hero to permanently morph into an alternate form with improved abilities. It should function almost exactly like the original Engineering Upgrade. It could be modified to be MUI and should probably use a Hashtable but I'm feeling lazy atm...

Attachments

• Morph Engineering Upgrade 1.w3m
    23.4 KB · Views: 4
Level 3
If your spell is based on Bear Form or Metamorphosis, make sure you've filled this field of your base unit with your transformed unit in the unit editor

View attachment 431523

(The other way around doesn't seem to be necessary)
I did this and the abilities seem to be upgrading now upon transforming, both the ones already learned and the ones yet to be learned or leveled up, except for the ultimate. It is still available to "learn", even tho the hero doesn't get to use it after spending points on it. Still helped a ton, I totally missed that field when editing.
What if the original Polymorph skill that you change to Area Polymorph with engineering upgrade was also based on channel? That way, when you change a single target Channel ability to an area point target Channel ability, the behavior of the ability successfully changes? If you use engineering upgrade to change Polymorph to Channel then as long as the hero already learned the skill, the CAbility would be of the class CAbilityPolymorph and attempt to cast a polymorph with Channel's data fields and properties. But if you have a CAbilityChannel and change its data fields from single target to area with the upgrade, I imagine it would probably "just work."

The only challenge then is to make the Single Target Polymorph channel based ability have the effect of actually polymorphing, which requires whatever dummy caster system you use for the AoE skill to be available through triggers for that single target skill too.
I did and undid so many stuff that I can't remember, but I think I tried that too. Not intentionally tho, I don't fully understand how channel works, I just followed a tutorial to transform targeted spells into aoe. Still, I will keep it in mind for the future, thx.
So they broke Engineering Upgrade in patch 1.32 and have yet to fix it. The only solution I know of is to trigger everything. I attached a map with a working system that allows a single Hero to permanently morph into an alternate form with improved abilities. It should function almost exactly like the original Engineering Upgrade. It could be modified to be MUI and should probably use a Hashtable but I'm feeling lazy atm...
my version predates 1.32, so Engineering Upgrade seems to be working fine after the change suggested by Chaosium. Still, you've saved me some trouble for when I finally transition to retail.

Status
Not open for further replies.