• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Transcending the Camera

Transcending the Camera

What is this map, and why is its name so weird?
Transcending the Camera is simple cinematic detailing a battle between some dwarves and some humans. As per its name, it is meant to serve as a sort of technology demonstrator for the creation of cinematics in Warcraft III with no use of Warcraft III's camera objects whatsoever; all cameras are controlled through the use of Jass-based math.

There are three basic systems used to support this. The first is a simple system that allows the user to set a camera eye position rather than using Warcraft's target point/distance/angle system. The second tracks Bezier curves, and the third contains many random functions, including a system for accelerating angular values to smooth out angular motion. I constructed these systems quite a while back, but never bothered to apply them beyond a couple very tiny demonstrations until now.

When iNfraNe and Anitarf created their cinematic system, they created a practical structure through which Warcraft III's cameras could be used smoothly. My structure is probably less practical due to my questionable user interface, but hopefully demonstrates a different road to similar ends, by bypassing Warcraft III's camera objects altogether.

Vexorian - TimerUtils
N-a-z-g-u-l - cameramap

The Sacred War - Alexander Alexandrov
Entering the Stronghold - Danman 87 from Newgrounds

WILL_THE_ALMIGHTY - Explosion Models

v1a
-Uploaded the map

More Details:
-Running time ~5 minutes
-This map is not protected

Keywords:
camera
Contents

Transcending the Camera (Map)

Reviews
20:01, 11th Nov 2010 ap0calypse: Approved Date: 2011/Oct/16 14:52:59 Vengeancekael: VM // PM: Rep Received: 0Reasons: Other: If you have any complaints or questions directed towards a moderator, make a thread here: Map Resource Moderation If...

M

20:01, 11th Nov 2010
ap0calypse: Approved
hive_bigger.png

Date: 2011/Oct/16 14:52:59
Vengeancekael: VM // PM:
Rep Received: 0
Reasons:
Other:
If you have any complaints or questions directed towards a moderator, make a thread here: Map Resource Moderation
If you think the moderator's judging is unfair or you have overall complaints, make a thread here: Admin Contact
Please read the rules thoroughly: Rules

Comment: Recommended for anyone who wants to make a cinematic with really smooth camera control.
An amazing camera system along with a cool cinematic overall, it's very intense.
Although the terrain is a bit lacking and empty.

Level 4
Didnt expect much at first but it was simply amazingly well done
Thanks!

but perhaps it should be posted in the spell/system section instead
The systems certainly will, if I ever publish them individually.

They are, however, probably too low-level and contain too many necessary globals for a decent releaseable system in their current form. Except for Coordinate Cameras, which I actually did release at The Helper.

If I ever figure out a way to make these systems function smoothly on a higher level that requires less micromanagement, that's when I would put them in that section.

Level 4
If you post this in the spells section, people will give you feedback on how to fix and improve it.

Thank you for the recommendation, but it's not an issue of the system being broken. It's low-level because the way it works needs to be managed at a low-level. If I tried to create high-level systems to micro-manage it for the user, the loss of control would likely render the system less useful; the whole point is that you can jump in at specific instants to tweak anything on a tiny scale.

Level 4
OK, so, this WAS indeed a great cinematic, more than just a mere camera system. It was well detailed, camera was the smoothest as it can be, and quite enjoyable. What I didn't like, however, was the lack of sound, terrain and a cliffhanger ending. The only sounds I heard were the music (which was great) and human army marching (fantastic concept - "bum, badum" "bum, badum", although it did feel a little strange after some time). Then, that same part with the marching army was terribly dragged out, you should really shorten it or try to speed it up somehow. Then, terrain was plain and boring, although it doesn't really matter much for this kind of cinematic. And then, the ending - what happened? Captain shouted "Surrender!" and then dwarven copters appeared behind them. Who won?
But, despite all that, this was a pretty interesting cinematic that would get a 5/5 100% if you'd just add more sound. 4/5 and vote for Approval.

Level 28
Great use of camera, far better than anything I've seen with camera objects.
The terrain was a bit of a drawback, as most of it is really plain and the human citadel could've been so much more than those empty gray-white walls (you could've done a completely emotionless citadel, or a rich one, but not bland, at least: not THIS bland).
Music and sounds were good (well, the footsteps were more sound than music I think... not really sure though :p).

Approved.

Level 7
At first I was skeptical when I opened the map in World editor. I saw there were hardly any doodads and tile variation. But when I clicked the "Test map" button, I waited for like 10 seconds, and the cinematic showed up. I Said: "Well, nice. Nothing special." And then, The first explosion came, and I was like: "Whoah...." And the rest of the cinematic i Was like "Whoah...." And then, came the epic moment. The March of the Footmen. All that was epic, but, when the captain turned around, and saw the planes, and the way he did it, just enhanced the mood.
I dislike the music though; The starting music with the choir's just killing me (That's just my opinion), and it ruins the cinematic feeling for me. Something else would have fitted better IMO.
Bottom line: Best cinematical demonstration on the Hive, by far.

More detailed review's on the way.

Level 2
Loved the part where the knights charged, The cam(shaking it a bit made it more epic), the music and the angle was epic. nice work 5/5 :)

@Jaret: I disagree, i think the music was the best part, while the footman march was a bit dragged out.
That march is a very unique piece, the trumpets and the vinyl scratching gives the scene a very tarantino-esqe feel to me. Also, the fact that the song is about driving back the german army from the russian homeland, it comes as quite suiting given the circumstances in the scene.

Level 5
Amazing use of the camera. However, I felt it lacked terrain details and sounds. The environment was kind of empty. However, the camera really makes up for it. I personally loved the part where the copter flies by and shoots the footmen, and where the camera looks up to the sky and you see the battles above. Awesome cinematic overall :thumbs_up:

Nice, I just saw this today. It had really unique usage of the camera, and it was all pretty smooth. It is weird, I always thought Bob would be the only one to use GetCamGridOffset because I never found an applicable situation where I wanted to use it, but your cine seems to use it nicely. =)

I wanted to make a cam system featuring movements like the ones you've used, but I never ended up getting around to it, especially since I figured the interface would be a mess even as a system. :p Anyway, cool stuff. I hope to see more like this, whether it be from you or from people who use this as an inspiration. ;D

I liked the knight part too, it was awesomely climactic even if it wasn't meant to be the main part.

Level 9
i like the part when the knight where marching towards the rifleman and boom all dead

hahaha i watch this 3 times just to watch that part AWSUMM