1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Tool Concept] Map Auto-Translator

Discussion in 'Warcraft Editing Tools' started by Retera, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    So I made a little program in Java that if I expanded it could be turned into a map-translator. You open a map, select the map's language, select the language you want to put it in, and it runs all of the maps units/abilities/triggers (the WTS script file, to be exact) through google translator into a different language.

I already wrote a working implementation of a basic WTS translator that does this, but it would have to be expanded to become an actual usable, upload-able tool. So... Who votes I make that into a real tool?

Edit: What I'm really asking, I guess, is whether enough people would want this for it to be worth my time.

2. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    It seems like it could be a fun project. Even if enough people don't use it, it could be nice if people want to post things to other sites. Google translate isn't perfect, but it has definitely improved over the years, so it has potential.

3. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I think the result you will get from most tooltips is as such...

When it should have been translated to...
    People will probably be better off learning English and writing the tooltips properly.

4. sethmachine

sethmachine

Resources:
    Resources:
    Even with state of the art machine translation (MT), the translations won't be perfect as Dr Super Good points out. I can't remember if there is a theory that claims MT will never reach human level translation quality.

However I think this is a really good idea, because it's automated, taking advantage of an available resource, and it's better than not being able to read anything at all (I will take a google translated into English over reading the source language any day (unless I know that language)).

The alternative would be to just hire human translators for each language (as Blizzard and other video game companies do, I am certain). But there's probably no such funds for a WC3 map, as it would be costly.

(Btw, what language was that from Dr Super Good?)

5. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Was not an actual example. It was purely an approximation to real text I have seen such as used by the SC2 map "Special Marine [RPG]". When you died there you quite literally got a string like "Revive Zergling died 50 DrSuperGood murdered!". I gave up playing at that point. I think the map was automatically translated from Korean as that would explain the gibberish.

My review emphasizing this somehow is highest ratted on US. I am not sure how considering it goes on to whine about GUI design technical mumbo-jumbo.

6. WaterKnight

WaterKnight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Still better than Blizzard's localizations :D