• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

TKF's Space Fight Test v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
I'm planning to make a space combat map which allows 100% customifications of each ships weaponry. I'm planning to make a epic map which can be as awesome as Master of Orion 2 where your ships get be refitted and designed after players wishes. Also I'm planning to use the same techtree as in Master of Orion 2. One of the best space games created. However I'm going to make a real time based instead, so battles can happen simultaneously.

But the simulator is just a testing space combat engine which shows how the weapon system works. Only implemented shields and couple of weapons.

Test the map and say what you think about it. It's just a very simple test map.

132929-albums1931-picture14626.jpg

Edit_

Hull strength of ship classes (Just brain storming):

Fighter: 8
Corvette: 20
Frigate: 40
Destroyer: 100
Cruiser: 200
Battleship: 400
Dreadnought: 1000
Doom Star: 5000

Energy Weapons:

Weapons have 3 configurations (Only for the energy weapons):

Heavy Mount:
50% more damage
Long range (5000)

Cannot hit fighters or missiles
Weapon space cost increased by 100%

Normal:
Can hit fighters and missiles
Normal weapon space cost
Normal Range (3200)

Only 25% chance to hit missiles or fighters when projectile hits

Point Defense:
Can hit fighters and missiles
100% chance to hit missiles or fighters when projectile hits
Weapon space cost decreased by 50%

50% less damage
Short range (1900)

Example of fusion cannon damage:
Fusion : 3-9 damage (HV)
Fusion : 2-6 damage
Fusion : 1-3 damage (PD)

By depending only on heavy mounted weapons, you have no defense against deadly missiles or fighters, but effective against ships

By depending only on point defense weapons, you have a big problem against enemy space ships, but a great defense against missiles and fighters.

By depending only on normal weapons, you are partially effective against both.

Balancing the weapon configuration selection is a part of the strategy.

Attachments

• SpaceSimulator.w3x
    147.3 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:

TKF

TKF

Level 19
It's the same projectile movement engine as in Naval Battle (Ships Cannon Balls) and Missile War 0.57 (The Missiles). Also with the projectile engine each unit can have several different weapons and fire multiple times.
Awesome stuff! I love how the projectiles work; it could add a lot of strategy to the battles, and a tonne of possibilities! (time stopping spells?)
Yes, the projectiles can be stopped cuz of the flexibility of the engine. Also missile weapons can be stopped by anti missiles weapons, so projectiles can kill bigger projectiles which adds a new tactic feature...

The test map only shows how the shield and weapon systems works. It's unprotected cuz it doesn't contain much important stuff. Triggers are rude and simple; but the real system I'm going to design is going to be inventory based so it's easier to keep up the count of how many weapons the ships have, also I'm going to add limits to it so the bigger ships have more space for more weapons....

I'm not sure what I'm going to name the map... maybe Star Lords or something...

If you have some ideas, come with it. The map exists in the brainstorming phase atm....

Level 5
A few ideas come to mind:

1. Visual representations of shield strength; a full shield will be a very deep blue for example and slowly fade away or begin to flicker as it takes damage.

2. Different missiles behaviours; instead of simply honing in on nearby ships, some missiles could orbit their targets, which would mean the player would have to seperate his ships to prevent damage - adding strategy.

3. Flares/Guidance disruption; the ability to fire objects that lure missiles away from their targets or cause them to turn on their owners.

4. Missile abilities; instead of the normal 'seek and explode' missile types, perhaps some missiles could deal lightning damage to nearby targets or deploy mines?

TKF

TKF

Level 19
1. Visual representations of shield strength; a full shield will be a very deep blue for example and slowly fade away or begin to flicker as it takes damage.
That would be very difficult since the shield system will be item based mana shields and changing buffs isn't possible that way. Instead I will make such a system that shows the damage done to the shields pop up when the ship is hit.

callex said:
3. Flares/Guidance disruption; the ability to fire objects that lure missiles away from their targets or cause them to turn on their owners.
Well maybe. So far I've only thought of ecm jammers, point defense lasers and anti missile rockets as counters. Also making fighters able to attack missiles.

callex said:
4. Missile abilities; instead of the normal 'seek and explode' missile types, perhaps some missiles could deal lightning damage to nearby targets or deploy mines?
There is no spells in this map and no space mines. Missiles main role is to deal major damage and be accurate. Also the ships only carry a few rounds of missiles and will be depleted quickly and need to be refilled after each combat, while beam weapons can be fired unlimited.

Missiles will have unique abilities like fast, eccm and emission guidance system. Emission guidance system can hit the ship drive directly and cause the ship to be immobile or overload the hyperdrive to make the ship explode.

Beam weapons will have different abilities, which depends on which type of beam weapon you have. Most beam weapons can be configured to be point defense weapons, but then they have very short range and dels very low damage, but can target missiles. Heavy Mount beam weapons deals more damage and has more range.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
You really ought to make a full-blown projectile system for this. It's not terribly difficult once you get some of the basic concepts (sectoring, etc) down.
I'm going to use a simple 2D projectile system which is the most effective that I know of. Also the ships hyperdrive is going to use the same projectile system. Not using any regions or detection triggers (I don't know what you meant with sectoring).

The projectiles is vulnerable and is killed by the ships and the triggers does calculate the damage depending on which type of projectile which was killed. Ships has short range phönix fire which acts as collision size ability and replaces detection triggers checking projectiles every 0.03 sec. Instead the triggers applies when a projectile dies.

Ship Class List (SC space imports)

db7b946e52a67f8965f77d2cb179e267_14845.jpg

Star Fighter Class

d751f132d2e991daa73a24ac0ead23ba_14556.jpg

Frigate Class

ebfa9576f4a32d4f23a332b333f0b813_14667.jpg

Destroyer Class

d2d4a5c2b7bd4992fe68a3da233c08eb_14665.jpg

Cruiser Class

images

Battlecruiser Class

befb1301c924740357b2079e0f6eefb0_14844.jpg

Dreadnought Class

24f56586f915ab71d500ef7c03119d56_15055.jpg

Doom Star Class

TKF

TKF

Level 19
You should add a larger map based off this, with more players, just to tie us over until Spacelords is released, mayhaps?
Have patience man! I'm working on the map, thus only few hours every week. Also significant changes must be done before the map is playable, and this project is more epic than my Naval Battle map, which I spent about 100 hours to make a beta. Perhaps about 200 more hours for version improvements and debugging...

This map is gonna need at least 100-200 more hours. I take breaks once in a while cuz sitting in the editor for several hours is quite boring imo and testing and testing stuff over and over again until they work, is quite a nuisance when you don't make it work. Map making is hard work cuz it's a hard process to learn new things in the editor and apply them. It's takes longer time. U see I'm not a editor master, I still need learning... I just realized I kinda hit the wall with the GUI. I realize I want to make things which isn't possible in GUI... so I need to make cheap compromises unfortunately...

For example now I'm cracking a nut on how I'm going to make a "Protoss Carrier" fighter engine while the units ARE TARGETABLE (not locust). The capital ships can have fighter bays and release autonomous fighters which flies around like annoying "bees" and attacks. Purely triggered and very awesome.

Also you can read more info about the map in this thread: Spacelords

Status
Not open for further replies.