• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Space Commander: Special Ops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Space Commander
Special Ops

Background

Inspired by a combination of Space Rogues by Laosh'Ra and Wing Commander: Secret Ops, this is a game set in space. You are part of the crew of the Colonial Navy Ship (CNS) Cerberus. Using a combination of fighter craft, turrets and good ol' fashioned fighting on board ship (and possibly also planets), you set out to carry out a series of missions, or alternatively simply explore the galaxy.

Gameplay

As part of the story mode, you are given various missions by high command to fulfill, such as taking down stations, destroying enemy fleets, protecting planets, etc. I am also planning to have a more free ranging method, where you can fly around the large galaxy doing what you wish.

Combat will revolve around the main weapons of the CNS Cerberus, her turrets, her automated weaponry, and fighter/bombers. The main guns at present include two homing missile launchers, but this is likely to get improved. Turrets can be manned, but there may also be automated weaponry system, such as point-blank anti-missile/torpedo systems.

Fighters/bombers can be piloted, flying around the CNS Cerberus and attacking enemies. The current fighter being used, the Viper, has a rapid fire laser cannon and is likely to be given a slow moving anti-capital ship torpedo. Control of the smaller craft involves apt use of momentum to avoid being hit by enemy missiles and the such like.

Maintaining and upgrading the CNS Cerberus is also likely to feature, with power consumption being monitored, and also focusing repairs and reloading. Roles will be assigned by the captain, who can be replaced if he leaves, and possibly if enough players vote for it. These will include helmsman, engineer, pilot, etc.

Features

- A massive galaxy to explore, powered by the Starmap system; at present, the system was not strained by 1800 objects (background stars) spread across an area of 40,000 by 40,000.
- Innovative combat, with dogfighting, attack runs and such like to make for a more exciting experience.
- I hope to include some form of save/load system to allow players to carry on their journeys.
- I also plan to include a checkpoint system, so that you do not have to rehost if you die.
- Possibly non-combat experiences taking place in a dynamic universe, with moving traders, wars raging independantly of the player, trading possibilities, etc. (what I could do with this and RtC in the future would be awesome as well).

Now, don't get your hopes up, this may never get finished. However, after I get to the sort of early alpha stage that I am in now, I tend to get at least a reasonable beta out, so there's good hope!

On the subject of the Starmap system, I hope to release that soon, just as soon as I managed to figure out the last few bugs in the system and add some more features.

Level 8
I've seen great projects created by this guy, Tho I never do say anything,
I'm really looking forward to this project, it is Doable, you just need the will power, enough help, and people helping find things you can improve. =]
I've also been very interested in Space combat [Darn you Sins of a Solar Empire! x3]
This reminds me of a Starcraft map, Flyable little support ships that help a Flag Ship,
Maybe you will add the feature of Upgradeable/Different selection of Flag Ships? Or we can stick with one upgradeable one, Anyways.
I'm looking Really Forward to this map, Screenies and More Info are welcomed! =3
-Calvin

Level 14
Thanks for the support and kind words!

It is multiplayer. In relation to my other projects, Tiny-RPG series (ie: Destiny's Wake) is currently on hold, waiting for the RtC FPS stuff to be ready to make the next installment an adventure in FP, while Warlords just needs some small tweaks, and is, content wise, basically finished. For now, this project is my focus.

As far as the fighter combat goes, I've ended up eally enjoying fighter vs fighter dog fights and so I am now planning to release that (hopefully today) as a mini-arena thing. That will give you a much better idea of how fighters work and suchlike.

Different selection of capital ship is highly unlikely, but it will be upgradable and customisable to a large extent. Screenies...maybe, but I'd rather focus on getting a playable alpha out, since screenshots can't really show the game.

DKG

DKG

Level 3
Do you intend to have any planetfall type missions? Base raids? Things like that?

I can think of a ton of ideas for cool missions. I really liked the space rogues game we played, and really look forward to your (much improved and so much less laggy :p) version of it :D

Level 8
=]
Will you include Planetary/Universe Events? That may effect the choice of Sub Missions that you may get and ect.
This map really interests me and I'd like to see it more near completion, I'm surprised not many others had praised you on such a wonderful sounding map.
Great Work So Far, Keep Us Updated!
-Calvin

Level 2
Sounds cool I just hope the planets are not like in Mass Effect as they were all the same, huge ass hills and huge ass ditches.

Status
Not open for further replies.