• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

threat mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
hello guys, i wanna share my experience about threat, and my understanding on it. do note that this isnt 100% accurate especially the numbers i will put and is only based on my observations.

i wanna listen to your observations on threat mechanics too so pls share it.

-basic, highest threat gets targeted by threat related spells, normal attacks
-each 1 dmg dealt on enemy generates 1 point of threat, heroic presence generates 1.2 on melee attacks (dont know if this affects dmg from skills)
-bar on top right shows (ur threat/highest threat in ur team) in percentage values
-shield slam/crucify generates more threat dunno if percent based or a fixed value
-GA takes all threat generated by target and add it to crusader's threat
-heal generates threat, no idea if it is split among enemies or if 1heal point = 1 threat
-threat reducers (barbed arrow divine protection), no idea, but mind twist and blurred motions should be removing 30% of your current threat
-divine protection generates threat for bishop and amount of threat depends on the amount of shield (SPx5 i think)
-taunt adds a big threat (thousands maybe) for 4 or 6 seconds and then removes it after expiring
-special cases are gaspode, i think he gets a default amount of threat at start
-shade doppels, no idea

well thats what i observed, everything is open for corrections, would honestly want Z to clear up everything.

Level 4
-GA takes all threat generated by target and add it to crusader's threat

When i was playing a full geared lvl 35 zerker in d3 (waves/boss) and when the crusader castet GA on me, i still could get to 20-30% threat without attacking the target before having GA on myself. So i could get 20-30% threat even with GA on.
--> GA does NOT take all threat generated by the target.

Level 6
well u have heroic presence that time? maybe those arent taken, afaik, it says GA takes threat from damage generated, so heroic extra threat might not count. dunno if GA takes from heals though

Level 4
well u have heroic presence that time? maybe those arent taken, afaik, it says GA takes threat from damage generated, so heroic extra threat might not count. dunno if GA takes from heals though

You may be right on that, but I tried it with and without Heroic Presence, so it's not only because of HP. Maybe the threat that i generate and that isn't taken by GA is the threat generated by demo shout (since demo shout is no dmg spell and generates much aggro anyway, this might be the "problem"). But my threat went up and down, so it isn't only because of Demo Shout. Whatever.

Level 6
i did a shade run in which the tanker/healer asks my assassin to control my threat. well if im right, i could just put traps, cast acid early on b4 start dpsing cus it wont matter on what time i start dpsing, in a boss run that i have to control my threat.

Level 6
You nailed it!
Except for Gaspode. He simply generates additional threat on any attack and starts with an offset value.

how about the heals, does healing 500 points generate 500 threat on each monster? or is 500 points of threat spread evenly to the enemies ?

how about the heals, does healing 500 points generate 500 threat on each monster? or is 500 points of threat spread evenly to the enemies ?
The latter. Also, overhealing is ignored by the system, which means only the effectively healed amount matters. Also, 2 healing is worth 1 threat point, whereas 1 damage is worth 1 threat point, so healing threat is halfed before being spread to the units.

Also, a fact that a lot of people don't know:
threat generated by damage is reduced by the range to the target.
Attacks within 200 range of the target generate 100% threat, whereas attacks between 200 and 400 only generate 90% threat. At a range of 400 or above, attacks will generate only 70% threat.

The threat system is a 100% replica of World of Warcraft's threat mechanic - which I consider as the first and only game that really did the whole AI thing right.
Exception: I did not implement the +10% switch target rule, which means it is possible to play "aggro ping pong" in Gaias, but its very hard to pull off so it doesnt really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.