• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The River of Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hi there, im new to terraining and so I thought getting some feedback from the experts is a good way to improve, this is the first map i've done that is concentrated soley on the terrain.

The silent sound of water flows softly forevermore, enchanting and comforting life around its reach.
Shrubs and flowers grow with little disturbance around the light blooming waters of, The River of Life.

Lol i just thought of that on the spot. Please give feedback. :wthumbsup::wthumbsdown:?

Attachments

• 1-.jpg
    1-.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 250
  • 2-.jpg
    2-.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 245
  • 3-.jpg
    3-.jpg
    549.9 KB · Views: 261
  • 4-.jpg
    4-.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 223
Level 34
At first glance it seems good! And the general feel is good. But there are a ton of errors/things to change.

-I think you have used the noise tool. If you did, don't do it again. You have a whole bunch of pointy spots on the terrain. Use the smooth tool to get rid of them.

-Can't tell if you have set a fog or not. If you didn't you need to.

-No tile variation. Using only one type of grass tile looks bad. If you mix them it turns out a lot better. Try putting grassy dirt around the edges of the rock tile.

-You doodad placement is totally random. You haven't thought about where you are placing each one. You don't need to spend 10 minutes on each doodad, but you should place them strategically.

The waterfall looks good! Well done on that.

Level 6
lol thx for the tips, although im not sure about a few of them:
-i used noise tool, ill be sure to smoothen terrain better on future terrains :D.
-i know fog makes them better but how?
-i started this yeasterday so i couldn't be bothered to change it to a custom tile set
-i don't know where to place doodads "strategically", e.g. like where?
-thx for last comment :D

thanks for evaluating my terrain Gilles

Level 7
-i used noise tool, ill be sure to smoothen terrain better on future terrains :D.
-i started this yeasterday so i couldn't be bothered to change it to a custom tile set

Yes, definitely looks too forced-bumpy.
You don't have to completely change the tileset, just add a few different tiles.

Level 24
Ohh the river looks neaty neaty, but 3 things annoy me: Spikey ground (almost like a hole full with spears thats sharp and can kill people...), lacking of tile variation (and the horrible contrasts) and last that its like as if you just put alot of enviroment mixer and just put the result on a spikey map...

Level 34

You don't need to import tiles. Just modify tileset in the editor. Add some grass form other tilesets.

Fog is under Scenario - Map Options. Check off the fog box, then change it's color. Mess around with Z-Start and Z-End, get the right amount.

It's hard to explain where to place doodads. It just comes naturally over time. Take two rocks and put them beside each other. Place some shrubs in between/around them. Maybe a tree beside it. That's an example of good placement.

Level 6
Lol ok addressing some issues:
-im lazy, getting a custom tileset didn;t occur to me, ill be sure to work on that :D.
-most of u are saying its too bumpy, i agree ill be sure to fix that in future terrains :D.
-Yo angry_Sun :D thanks for commenting all.

Level 34
15 Chars is just to extend his message. You need at least 15 chars in a post. This tries to eliminate useless posts. It doesn't really work.

Status
Not open for further replies.