• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

The path of the map maker to fame. Or how does the map pool change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Whose tournaments, or whose ladder, are you referring to?
By ladder I mean: unranked games on battle.net and w3champions.
There are few tournaments now and they are played on the same maps. So any tournament will do.

I understand that the most popular and balanced maps get into the map pool. But how can a map become popular if it's not played anywhere? How to start promoting your map? The fact is that I, as an artist, want to see my work "in deal".

and w3champions
I have not used w3champions yet but I heard a lot of good about it. I assume they would have their own map pool because of how they run their own way.

So, my theory is this:
  1. battle.net will probably not update their map pool because their Reforged dev team was laid off and if they have a new unannounced team, that new team is probably focused on making money and not on celebrating you
  2. w3champions seems much more likely to update their map pool because they care about that kind of thing and about the melee gameplay scene, so if I were you I would reach out to them more directly somehow, if possible
Maybe somebody from w3champions will see these posts and reply.

Level 20
But how can a map become popular if it's not played anywhere?
Well, for most maps, including some really good ones - they just don't. The problem is... uhm, supply and demand. Warcraft 3 is already quite a niche game, melee isn't that popular as a game mode and melee players often prefer using maps they already know and like. In other words, while some do people play Warcraf 3 melee and there are some tournaments / ladders for it, the demand for new melee maps isn't high.

As for supply... Well, the game is old. The community had plenty of time to create a lot of really good melee maps that one could choose from. Also, melee maps don't have a lot of room for innovation or creativity, i.e. it's really hard to make a melee map that brings something new to the table, while also being considered balanced, a.k.a. it's hard to make your map stand out in any way. And if your map is just one of many, it's not likely to be picked.

Look, I have no joy in saying this - I've seen your map, it seems like you really put a lot of work into it and I understand you'd love to see people play it, but the reality is that if you want to make melee maps, the most likely outcome is that you're not going to find some incredible success. Of course, you can try reaching out to various tournaments or ladders, but I'd advise you to not get your hopes up too high.

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
W3Champions seems like your best bet. But like the others have said, old game is old and the remaster just made things worse.

In addition to that, you could create your own Discord server and try to get other melee-lovers to join. Even if it's a small community, even just 10 people should be more than enough to motivate you into making great content that you can enjoy and share with others. I'm sure these types of servers already exist as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.