• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Lich King

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
There he is, the Lich King himself.

Give credit where credit is due. I'd like to thank everybody for their input and help during the making this model.

P.S. Don't even think about complaining about the poly count -- you're basically supposed to have only one Lich King in your map. The same goes for file size -- If you want a crap texture, feel free to drop the quality.

P.P.S. If you play the Walk animation in Magos, it will glitch near the right shoulder. Ignore it. In-game there's no glitch.

THIS IS FOR ALL THOSE NAY-SAYERS: THIS IS NOT A WOW MODEL. NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY, YOU ARE UNABLE TO PROVE YOUR STATEMENT. I CAN PROVIDE ~10 WIP FILES AND WILL ENJOY CRUSHING YOUR CLAIMS TO DUST.

Just saving myself time to reply to all those worthless posts.

1.5 - Changed Frostmourne.
1.4 - Minor modifications. Improved helm texture
1.3 - Modified the Spell Throw particles, Frostmourne changes color during Spell Throw animation, Frostmourne glow fades away during death.
1.2 - Fixed a minor bug that came with the 1st update
1.1 - Fixed the tinting on the face
1.0 - Uploaded

Keywords:
Lich, King, Scourge, Undead, Norhtrend, Arthas, Menethil, Prince, Lordaeron, Frostmourne
Contents

The Lich King (Model)

The Lich King (Model)

Assets
Reviews
23:07, 3rd Jan 2010 DonDustin: the Lich King is the only true power outstanding mesh, texture and animation. This models simply deserves a DC
it isnt from wow cus in wow you cant see his mouth

I think we don't need any further discussion about whether this is ripped or not. For everyone who read the original WIP thread, it should be clear.

The new Frostmourne looks good, but a little but to cartoon-y (imho), but for making the textures from scratch, it is pretty awesome.

Level 5
WOW *speech less* u did a great job even better that GF lich king i dont care abou the polies if u ask me it has realy few for its awsomesss! good job keep it up

Level 25
The improvements you've made to the model since you first uploaded it are very good. All I can suggest you do to make it better is reduce the file size and/or continue working on the animations to look smoother. Though you probably won't since I know it's a major pain in the ass, the better quality the better model IMO. ;)

Regardless, this is an easy 10/10 model in my opinion. What's next on the list of l0w?

Level 4
I don't really get why Blizzard would forbid the use of WoW models in other games made by them. Where's the sense in that? I mean, the origin stays the same, the producers stay the same, only looks will be improved

Level 3
solid work there mate. :grin:
would be excellent in cinematic maps or hero survivals
5/5

I don't really get why Blizzard would forbid the use of WoW models in other games made by them. Where's the sense in that? I mean, the origin stays the same, the producers stay the same, only looks will be improved

well...blizz never released their WoW models for public use other than in WoW itself so yeah, youd have to actually own a copy of WoW to use them (and even then in that case, with permission). but obviously, not everyone has or wants WoW, hence why you cant use them.

also, you dont have the licensing permission to edit the models freely either.

Level 17
i dont know how to import but its awesome but no Popular map i saw doesn't have it yet

Maybe becouse that model is new?
Its not like someone upload a model on hive, someone makes a map in a few days, it gets popular on b.net and everyplays it just like that.
And this model will probably mostly be used in campaigns becouse of file size, so do not except to see it at all on b.net.

Level 12
Maybe becouse that model is new?
Its not like someone upload a model on hive, someone makes a map in a few days, it gets popular on b.net and everyplays it just like that.
And this model will probably mostly be used in campaigns becouse of file size, so do not except to see it at all on b.net.

Compared to the majourity of very high quality models, this is low file sized.

I've never seen a model so accurate and full of detail, and be a measily 400 KB, that is NOT big. I see a lot of high quality models be 700 KB plus, and lot of 400 KB ones that aren't really that great

Level 17
Compared to the majourity of very high quality models, this is low file sized.

I've never seen a model so accurate and full of detail, and be a measily 400 KB, that is NOT big. I see a lot of high quality models be 700 KB plus, and lot of 400 KB ones that aren't really that great

The model had a much larger size before if im not wrong.
So my point still stay the same, people may not have added it becouse the model have been in high file size.

If im not wrong.. this had like 2k KB when it was released.
So.. uhh.. dont say im wrong :p

BTW:
400 KB is much.. and 700 KB is just stupid.
like this:
b.net have 8MB limitation.
A model have 400 KB would take up 1/20 of what the entire map can contain, and its not like if you use custom models, you will only use 20 models, and NOTHING else in the entire map. so you would not be able to have many models at all in that size, not to mention that if you have a model with this quality, you would most likely want the others to be that aswell or it may turn out weird.

700 KB.. hah.. that is about 10 custom models for an entire map, and if you have a model with the quality of 700 KB, it would most likely stand out of the rest. And the map would be very limited with such things as terrain, becouse you simply would not have the space for that.
So 700 KB should really go with campaigns, if they are not a very major character in the map, and nothing else is needed.

And like i mentioned before.. it was about 2k at start i think.. that would limit your map down to 6MB insted of 8MB, and that is dumb for a b.net map.

And no, i am not complaining about the file size at all, i think its fine. But the fact that many people havent added this model to their map, uploaded it & made it popular in this short time may be becouse there isnt many maps that need it (or use it) + many maps simply doesnt have
space for it.

Level 17
its probably just useful for single player campaigns you bould be stupid to use this in a multiplayer map with 8mb cap

Uhmm.. no?
500 KB is just fine for a major unit like the lich king, i mean, in d3w for example we had tyrael at 1k KB when the cap of the size was 4MB, still we survived with it for a looong time.
And i think there is some other models at about 400-500 KB, but thats like the playable classes or the bosses.. just like lich king.

But before this model was 2k KB, and THAT was to much.