• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Hive Workshop & Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking 'round the net, when suddenly I got this marvelous idea! If we're the best War3 modding site, then we deserve something in return, A WIKIPEDIA ARTICLE! :grin: Now.... since I dont know much about the Hive.... I need help! Join me, or feel the wrath of the Dark Side! (I'm really confused where to put this, so I put it here)

Level 26
what i'm having problems with is that i don't think this site qualifies the requirements for fame. barely any actual websites get a wikipedia article unless they have huge amounts of visitors.

Reactions: pyf
Level 21
lolol there are wikipedia sites on aboslutely everything...there was even a wikipedia site on the MP of cornwall and that guys is anything but famous. we would obviously have to be linked from the wc3 main article as a popular fan/developemnt community.

Level 26
Fine MySpaceBarBroke we wont make a wiki...u happy now!?! u glad you let all these people down!?!?!?!?!
I can tell you there's a treasure chest in your backyard and no matter how hard you believe there is, and how happy believing there is one makes you, it won't do you any good, because there isn't one.

that was a metaphor.

and i don't see this website listed on the new york times, like the article you gave me.

Level 21
Level 32
Wikipedia - Urban Dictionary

This seems like an opportunity for us to inform the public, gain exposure for the site, and strengthen the community. We can only try at Wiki and see if it's accepted. The Urban Dictionary should be easy as pie.

I have a lot of other responsibilities, but I'll be happy to take charge of the project and supervise the process. All Hive Workshop users would be welcome to contribute to our article(s).

I'll try to get a WIP posted tomorrow and we can continue to kick around ideas in this thread.

[broke=+ REP !]l0w_kwaliti[/broke]

Level 26
ok well here are some more pointless articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A217

i live next to this road..its really not that intresting, its just road...but it sitll has a wiki about it!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13352_Gyssens

that asteriod is known by less people than there are new visitors to the hive everyday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFSSI-5020

i have no idea what that one is about, but it still has a wiki

those are some of the more informative articles. entertainment always comes second in an encyclopedia, but not in present day news.

Level 21
oooooooooooooooook. well my point is, if they (and loads more pointless stuff my local area) have a wiki why cant we, its not like there is anything bad about it, and its not like you need to do anything for it. so i dunno why there is a problem at all. i mean you can write a wiki about whatever you want (pretty much), i was thinking about writing one about me and my friends once :p its just a bit of fun and i think we should go for it.

Level 26
oooooooooooooooook. well my point is, if they (and loads more pointless stuff my local area) have a wiki why cant we, its not like there is anything bad about it, and its not like you need to do anything for it. so i dunno why there is a problem at all. i mean you can write a wiki about whatever you want (pretty much), i was thinking about writing one about me and my friends once :p its just a bit of fun and i think we should go for it.
It's not my decision. I'm only saying rules are rules. An article for the hive won't float, though we may try. Please, do not go for writing an article about yourself. Wikipedia has enough to deal with as is. Rules are set for notability, and if you break them on purpose, it's just stupidity. I wouldn't want to come on the hive, then make threads about your pet kitten all over the site discussion section.

Level 32
The article should both include information about the hive's history and about wc3search's history as hive got the whole history of wc3search included.
Agreed and seconded. The transition that took place last December was the most important event (IMO) in our history. We need to hear from VG and other grizzled veterans.

Um, no offense but that is exactly what I had hoped that no one would do: publish information at another site without Ralle's knowledge or the administration's approval. We should keep it to ourselves unit a consensus is reached and a fine finished product can be produced.

Reactions: pyf
Level 13
Um, no offense but that is exactly what I had hoped that no one would do: publish information at another site without Ralle's knowledge or the administration's approval. We should keep it to ourselves unit a consensus is reached and a fine finished product can be produced.

Agreed, the thing shouldnt just be created without any thought of chronological order or organization. It should be well thought out and planned before you even begin on the article. Just saying
The Hive Workshop is a #1 Warcraft 3 modding site on GameSites top 200. The Hive saved many of models, maps, skins, tools etc. after WC3Search had its quota exceeded. Many types of models, maps, skins, tools etc are available for download.
doesnt say much at all about the community or ralle or any of the others who have helped make this site possible. There are no dates included and there is no references to anything. I would also be happy to help out with the project wolverabid.

Edit: Made some slight modifications to the Wiki Article. It looks better now and should be fine until we get an official version.

Last edited:
Level 32
The Hive Workshop
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Contents [hide]
1 The Hive Workshop
2 A Brief History
3 Classification System
4 Resources
5 External Links

[edit] The Hive Workshop
As the #1 site on Gamesites top 200, the Hive Workshop offers a large community of helpful and aspiring game designers and a plethora of tools, models, skins and Icons. Unlike many other Warcraft III modding sites, the Hive Workshop is organized into a simple yet efficient class system which promotes fairness and prevents chaos.

[edit] A Brief History
The Hive Workshop was born on ** rising from the ashes of wc3sear.ch, who's death was due to limited serverspace and lack of leadership by darky. As the remains of wc3sear.ch's community slowly dwindled into cyberspace, Ralle came to their aid. Salvaging priceless resources from Wc3sear.ch, Ralle managed to create the Hive Workshop - the greatest Warcraft 3 Modding site on the internet. After countless updates and many hours of labor, Ralle gave birth to a modding site that proves to be far superior to its predecessor. Today, the Hive Workshop boasts nearly 30,000 members and countless resources.

[edit] Classification System
The Hive Workshop's Classification system is imperitive to promoting order on the sites forums. The Classification system is as follows:
Chieftan - Ralle
Shamen - Administrators
Raider - Forum Moderators
Grunt - Resource Moderators
Donor - Users who Donate money to keep the site alive
Hosted - Users who have projects hosted on the Hive Workshop
Peon - The main population of the Hive Workshop, these are the users who visit the site.

In addition to the Hive Workshop's Classification System, the site also uses a "reputation" system". Originally users were allowed to bestow positive and negative reputation on other users. After the system was abused through what has become known as the Neg-Rep Wars, it was edited so only users with over 10 reputation could bestow positive reputation on their fellow users. This reserved negative reputation privelages for the Moderators/Administrators.
Although the reputation system is not flawless, it allows many visitors and newer users to identify helpful members of the community and avoid members who are known to cause problems.

[edit] Resources
The Hive workshop offers many free resources to users who are interested in learning how to modify Warcraft III games. These resources include:
Icons:
64 x 64 pixle images used to indicate Items, abilities etc. in Warcraft's interface.
Skins:
Textures used to cover 3D models, giving them a new appearance.
Maps:
Playable "mini-games" on Warcraft III and Warcraft III The Frozen Throne.
Tutorials:
Step by Step processes showing how to do something. The Hive Workshop offers General Mapping tutorials, Trigger (GUI) Editor Tutorials, JASS/AI Script Tutorials, 2D Art Tutorials, and 3D Modeling Tutorials.
Models:
3D renderings of Characters, Buildings, and other objects.
Tools:
3rd Party Programs created by various users to help modify Warcraft III games.

That's a little better but some of the information is still inaccurate.

I think it would be best to DELETE IT IMMEDIATELY until such time that complete, Ralle-approved version can be published!

Level 32
All right.

The article is there to stay. I will edit it briefly to make a few corrections.

GST can handle the early history and we need VGSatomi to help me produce the information regarding the site merge.

Ralle is away today and has NO IDEA What's going here. I advise extreme caution.

Hmmm.... Why would he get angry? We're doing something good for the site! We are famous! We deserve a place in Wikipedia, not those idiots that have their idiotic articles standing! And besides, if we do it really nice, he won't get mad, he'll be amazed! :grin: HEY! We could make an article 'bout him! Something like "Ralle is a demigod!" and that stuff, but....... nah!

Level 32
  1. I have registered at Wikipedia and begun to edit the document.

2. Only Hive Workshop Administrators (or users who are given permission) should edit our Wiki page.

3. All edits and changes must be noted on the page by using the Sign your username: ~~~~ tool.

4. Changes made to the document without the permission of the Administration will be deleted.

5. l0w_kwaliti: the idea is really good one! However, actually PUBLISHING the article without our consent has opened up a big ugly can of worms: consider yourself very lucky that you are not (so far) in a lot of hot water.

6. As Archian, Ralle and Samuraid contribute to this thread (and our article) the community will be kept closely informed.

7. Potential contributions to Wikipedia's "The Hive Workshop" page should be posted in this thread NOT on Wikipedia itself!

8. DO NOT publish similar content at the Urban Dictionary (or anywhere else for that matter) without the approval and consent of The Hive Workshop's administration.

Level 21
does anyone want to grammer/spell fix this:

"The hiveworkshop A.K.A The Hive or THW evolved from several early forums dedicated to Warhammer 40K Tower Defense (WH40KTD) which was made by Ralle, who is the current owner and proprietor of the hive, and his then mapping partner Bloodletter0947. The hive first opened officially on the 5th of January 2005 and has remained active since."

then there should be stuff about wc3search...

i kept it brief but i could add more if u wanted.

at the end of the history bit something like:

"Since the merging with wc3sear.ch, the hive has taken on a new role by having the largest warcraft III resource available on the internet (if this is true), as well as supporting up and coming map makers in an ever increasing community."

Last edited:
Level 13
I was looking at it, the wiki article could potentially bring in some more users. Unfortunately, the only problem with wikipedia is anyone can edit it without our consent so that gives the admins/mods just one more thing to monitor to be sure were not getting slandered. I would like to apologize as well, however I could not leave the article in as such a vague state as it was.

Also, I wouldnt worry too much about it Wolverabid. The wikipedia article wont likely cycle through the database for somewhere around 24 hours. That will give Ralle plenty of time to approve or disapprove of the article. Should he disapprove Im sure we can request to have it removed.

Edit: The modified version looks much nicer than the one I last saw. Just a suggestion, perhaps someone should remove the link to the article from this thread so no more unauthroized changes take place?

Damn it GST, now you made my post disapear within the last page before anyone could see it! :p

Perhaps you should just start the article by saying what the site is actually about and not just a brief notice that it is a Wc3 modding site :p

Like a answer to "What is The Hive Workshop?" as this is something written for people who might know nothing about the hive at all.

Level 12
"aficionados" Is that a typo? Maybe you should get an easier word for people who don't know these big words? Lol, we are a stub! Maybe when listing things like models, skins, and icons, an example would be a good idea. So show a model, and for skins, the old skin, then what it looks like, and icons. That type of thing?

"aficionados" Is that a typo? Maybe you should get an easier word for people who don't know these big words? Lol, we are a stub! Maybe when listing things like models, skins, and icons, an example would be a good idea. So show a model, and for skins, the old skin, then what it looks like, and icons. That type of thing?

BRILLIANT IDEA! :thumbs_up: Oooo, someone has to read this! :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.