• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Forgotten Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
ForgottenCampaignBanner.png

Story
After the Scourge started attacking Dalaran, chaos brew inside the city. However, in an area of Dalaran, called Forgotten Dalaran- formerly called the Honour Area, the Scourge has made a fairly large stronghold. After the Scourge spread throughout Forgotten Dalaran, it was sealed off from the rest of Dalaran, hence the name Forgotten Dalaran. Though the Scourge had overrun the area, a group of humans live to feel this living nightmare. The human group, known together as The Forgotten, is split into 2 major parts: The Dalaran Guards (lead by Keal Thineas), and the Dalaran Watchers (lead by Aran Snowblood). Though the names are similar, they do completely different jobs.
The Dalaran Guards patrol the base, send out groups to take back parts of the Forgotten Dalaran, and ensure the safety of The Forgotten.
The Dalaran Watchers keep calm in the base, help the surviving members of the Forgotten Dalaran, search for any remaining survivors in the city, and are in control of The Forgotten.
Though The Forgotten live in a fair portion of Forgotten Dalaran, there is no hope for Dalaran to come and aid them. The Forgotten have limited numbers, and with each attack, lose more and more. The time has finally come for The Forgotten to make their final stand, or escape Forgotten Dalaran, for the Scourge grows with each day.
Game Mechanics
The game starts off in Forgotten Dalaran, while you control the Dalaran Guards. The first few missions involve you attempting to save the city, run or face death. As you leave Forgotten Dalaran, you enter the forest. You continue on to gather a stronghold near a lake, but soon are told to head to Northrend by the Dalaran Guards leader. As you go north, you enter the frigid cold Icecrown, where you meet new enemies and battle against old allies. Near the ending of the campaign, you reach the Frozen Throne, only to realize that the protective obelisks are surrounded by death and destruction. You finish the campaign back at your Ice Crown stronghold, defending it for your survival.
Throughout the campaign, you follow the Dalaran Guards/Deaths Army. The campaign alters the techtree of the Dalaran Guards to become a completely new army, serving for your enemies. This new race is known as Deaths Army, as they are not Human or Undead.
The campaign will be set up into approximately 15 missions and interludes. Each mission will continue along the path of The Forgotten Dalaran Guards (in short, you play as the Dalaran Guards). Your allies in the campaign change as you progress, following along the storyline.

Chapter 1: Replaces the need for an interlude, you play the introduction of the campaign as the Dalaran Guards leader before The Forgotten are found. As Keal, you awake to yet another day, and decide to leave his house for fear of an Undead assault. You must try and find some other Humans in hope to stand a chance against the Scourge.
Chapter 2: First actual mission. After The Forgotten are created, you fight your way to find whereabouts the Scourge have their base.
Chapter 3: This takes place near the edge of the "Forgotten Dalaran". You attempt to break the Scourge Stronghold, but realize that it is impossible, and flee the city.
Chapter 4: Interlude. The survivors of the Dalaran Guards gather at the exit of Forgotten Dalaran. The forces are attacked by a group of Necromancer Reapers, who cast a spell that even the Undead don't fully understand. After they die, the group heads off into the forest.
Chapter 5: You meet up with a small Human Alliance group, who takes note of who you are, and agree to help you set up a base. You gather supplies, and decide to head onward, deeper into the forest as Forgotten Dalaran is sinking, becoming part of the Dead Plains (a largely unexplored marsh).
Chapter 6: As you flee the settlement, you taking refuge nearby. Your engineers create new armour for some troops and new building plans for the new base. You must gather remaining Dalaran survivors, and remove the Scourge's presence.
Chapter 7: You expand your base to the edge of a lake. Your engineers have redesigned even more structures, and troops have been trained in other ways as you see fit.
Chapter 8: Interlude, introducing the plans to go north. The leader has a calling wanting him to move to Northrend.
Chapter 9: The Alliance is opposed to your requests to moved north, and declare that they will fire at your troops if you try to. You must destroy the Alliance dam at the lake/river delta, and move your troops north. The Scourge is also watching, trying to stop you from moving north as well.
Chapter 10: You find that your fleet has crashed on Northrend. Your leader, however, knows this place as an entrance to the multiple unknown nerubian lairs. You must gather your lost troops, and seek shelter, and only to be found by an Undead dragon, not wanting a fight.
Chapter 11: Your group is urged forth by the leader. You find yourself facing more and more Night Elf settlements. Burn them, and continue on. Build up a stronghold when the time is right.
Chapter 12: Interlude watching an Undead army exit out of a Nerubian exit. Though distant, your army knows who's it is, The Betrayer (as the Daralan Guards like to call Arthas). Your army starts preparations to have a force sent to follow.
Chapter 13: Your force was ambushed by a Night Elf force, and only a numbered amount of people remain. You are cut off to your stronghold by a rockslide, preventing retreat. Your force is forced to return to the base, and gather a larger force.
Chapter 14: You arrive at the center of the Icecrown, the Lich Kings throne room. You find ruined Night Elf bases and ever-growing Undead bases. You are determined to stay away from the area, but make a base on the surrounding hill. Your leader wonders what's going on, and attempts to attack the encampments, while defending against an angry Night Elf army.
Chapter 15: The final chapter includes you under attack by a sizeable force owned by your new enemy, the Alliance. Defend your stronghold, and wait for reinforcements. The Undead have offered to help you.
*Note missions may be removed/added or changed as ideas go by*

Dalaran Guards (Incomplete Army):
Though small and limited, they have a strong will to fight and goals set on surviving. They are your army to command, though lead by the Honour Guard Keal Thineas.
Dalaran Guard Building Techtree Outline:
-Main Building
-Infantry Barracks
-Support/Artillery Workshop
-Upgrade Building
-Defense Building
Dalaran Watchers (Incomplete Army)
The allies of the Dalaran Guards. At the gates of Forgotten Dalaran, they merge with the Dalaran Guards. They will aid your army by means they see fit.
Dalaran Watchers Building Techtree Outline:
-Main Building
-Infantry Barracks
-Support/Artillery Workshop
-Defense Building
-Item Vault

The Scourge (Complete Army)
The Scourge will only follow the storyline. New units will be introduced, while old units will stay the same.
Scourge New Units:
Upgraded Necromancer: New spells
Decayer: Upgraded (replacement for (at the beginning only)) the Ghoul

The Alliance (Complete Army)
Same old, same new. No changes, though units listed under "campaign" may be used.

Night Elves (Complete Army)
No changes. The Night Elves are a lesser enemy.

Deaths Army (Complete Army)
Deaths Army is a new army that slowly replaces the Dalaran Guards. They will be an army based on offence, not much defense. Almost like the Undead, but they have no blight, and less of the Undead look.
Deaths Army techtree will follow the standard techtree (main building, main production buildings, upgrade buildings, collection based buildings, item selling buildings, full unit techtree...etc)

*Incomplete means the army does not have a full techtree, while complete means it does*

Reserved for progress and workers on each mission/chapter, and a screenshot will be provided once the terrain is complete. The progress is only as much as I know.
Chapter 1 (95%):
*I'm hoping to get in-game screenshots sometime soon (once some major glitches have been fixed)*
Citadel-3.png

The citadel was the focal point of Forgotten Dalaran. Since the city fell to ruin, the Citadel has crumbled down to a lowly Undead social party. It is a hard fight to keep the Undead away from this Death Hall.

StartingStreet.png

This street marks the beginning of the Forgotten Campaign. Keal Thineas can be seen at the bottom of the picture. Empty crates and barrels litter the street.

MarketSquare.png

The Market Square marks one of the major stands between the Humans and Undead. The mass barricades that surround the Square limit the Undead to very few entrance points, only to find their final resting place. This is a high target for those hunting for treasure.

MarketCorner.png

This minor Market has been turned into a battlefield for the Bandits and Undead. With many treasures still hidden in these dead buildings, its a wonder why the Bandits want it.

BanditHideout.png

The Bandits that live in Forgotten Dalaran forget what their past lives of thieving where. Prepared to defend themselves from the Undead, at the slightest call of an attack, the entire hidout may come for the defence.

Crater1-3.png

While craters like this can be found throughout Forgotten Dalaran, this one has more hidding in it then what it first looks to hold. Human survivors pass this crater daily while travelling, so it makes sence to make it a storage area.

Chapter 2 (5%):
Chapter 3 (5%):
Chapter 4 (5%):
Chapter 5 (5%):
Chapter 6 (5%):
Chapter 7 (5%):
Chpater 8 (5%):
Chpater 9 (5%):
Chapter 10 (5%):
Chapter 11 (5%):
Chpater 12 (5%):
Chapter 13 (5%):
Chapter 14 (5%):
Chapter 15 (5%):
*5% means just the ideas are complete*

Team Jobs

Interested in joining? Interested in working on a map, but have no ideas? Just want to do something? Post here or PM me if you wish. Options are as follows:
-Campaign Map> Create any map of your choice for the campaign. You can get help from who you wish, but you are in complete control of the map (though I have the final say on its acceptance, and basic structure) +rep for those who complete an accepted map (give credit for those who helped you, they get rep as well)
-Coder> Do the coding for the campaign missions.
-Tester> Test out each completed map for bugs, glitches and alike.
-Skinner> The campaign could use a new set of skins for Deaths Army. +rep for 2 acceptable skins (though standards for skins are high)
-Idea People> Just give me ideas on side objectives and things.
Current Team Members
Current people part of the team are:
Landmine- Team Leader
-To contact directly, email- [email protected]
ModCraft- Terrain/Layout Staff
Gaegamel- Head of Testing Staff
-Dialog Writer
-Quest Writer
Drakic- General Staff
Thanks for reading. Comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Level 1
>Daralan? is it not Dalaran?
>
After the Scourge spread throughout Forgotten Daraland, it was sealed off from the rest of Daralan
Who sealed it & why?
>
The Daralan Guards patrol the base, send out groups to take bake parts of the Forgotten Daraland, and ensure the safety of The Forgotten.
back not bake
>It is funny
The time has finally come for The Forgotten to make their final stand, or escape Forgotten Daraland, for the Scourge grows with each day.
As you leave Forgotten Daraland
You are raising a question in the story & answering that too? You took out the suspense about their actions.
>
where you meet knew enemies
new not knew
>At what time of warcraft lore are you placing it?

Level 10
>Daralan? is it not Dalaran?
>
Who sealed it & why?
>back not bake
>It is funny

You are raising a question in the story & answering that too? You took out the suspense about their actions.
>new not knew
>At what time of warcraft lore are you placing it?

Yes it is Dalaran. I just wasn't paying attention to how it was spelt:sad:
The Alliance did to stop the Scourge from entering Dalaran. In short, they avoided a 2 front war.
Missed that.
Ok, I'll admit that I did answer my own question, but I said them because you do both of them. You will defend Forgotten Dalaran, yet also leave it as well. It hasn't been decided when you will leave (I know I have said chapert 3/4, but I might add a mission or two in there). That and I tried to keep the story as told from the Forgotten (they have no idea they will leave).
I blame spellcheck for "fixing" typos. I'll fix them all up.
Time is suggested to be around the ending of WC3 Frozen throne, though I'm not sure when Dalaran was overthrown.
You arrive at the center of the Icecrown, the Lich Kings throne room. You find ruined Night Elf bases and ever-growing Undead bases.
Would have thought this was a huge hint, but anyways.
The first mission, however, take place when the Scourge started their attacks on Dalaran.

Level 1
Yes it is Dalaran. I just wasn't paying attention to how it was spelt
No worry.

Time is suggested to be around the ending of WC3 Frozen throne, though I'm not sure when Dalaran was overthrown.
Ask people to find out. You don't want people to later tell you that you messed with lore. Afterward it will be problem to fix that.

Level 10
Ask people to find out. You don't want people to later tell you that you messed with lore. Afterward it will be problem to fix that.

Did some research on Dalaran's history. According to the events that will occur in my campaign, it starts during the time period of the Reign of Chaos, ending around the time of the Frozen throne.
How Forgotten Dalarand fits into the landscape of Dalaran before its destruction.
Dalaran has a lake on one side of it (as seen in multiple pictures I have found). The lake represents Forgotten Dalarand. A few weeks before Arthas had attacked Dalaran, Forgotten Dalarand was sunken by the Undead's Scourge. The news did not last long, as the mages inside Dalaran saw only the fact that the Scourge had died off.
During the Second War, when the Horde attacked Dalaran, the section that is now Forgotten Dalaran, was never able to fully rebuild before the Scourge arrived. Craters and blown open walls [cliffs] will be used to represent this.
When the Scourge hit Azeroth, one of its targets was Dalaran. Some of the hay was contaminated, and was sent into [Forgotten] Dalaran[d]. As the plauge grew, the Undead started bringing in troops. After a large portion of Forgotten Dalarand (it was officialls renamed by citizens due to the lack of attention the officials gave it before it was isolated) was turned over to the Undead (by force), a large containment protocole was enforced (many messages were sent after the first few contaminations were noticed, but the officials did not recieve the letters until now). Large barricades blocked off all access ways, gates were taken down to build walls, and houses that led to Forgotten Dalarand were destroyed for barricades.
Missions set up to take back FD were failed, so eventually FD was completly forgotten (except to the guards that patroled it boarder). The Undead took the lack of interest to their advantage and gained as much ground as they could in the area.
After a few months of hell, a small group wandered around FD to find survivors. There weren't many. After a suitable amount of survivors were gathered, they formed The Forgotten. The 2 leaders of The Forgotten are Keal Thineas and Aran Snowblood.

I'm still looking for people that wish to help.

Level 8
Do you want to make this campaign mainly built up with normal wc3 doodads or are you planning to add some custom models/skins too?

If you are trying to do it without, you "could" change scales of the doodads. Would make another impression on the viewer. But it looks like something already :p

Level 10
Just an announcement and stuff to possibly get some more intrest. I have officially renamed Forgotten Dalarand to Forgotten Dalaran (I was debating it for some time now). I have also got a large portion of the first map complete. The first post will include screenshots and updated information. I have also got a art banner for the campaign. See first post. A demo is expected to be released once the first 2-4 maps are done.
Gaegamel: I am going to try to keep the imported doodads at a minimum, if none at all, but units and buildings will need imports. Thanks for the scaling tip though, it help a lot (I wonder why I never used it in the first place).

Level 8
Nice nice. And to increase your motivation, i decided to take over another part in this campaign. You didn't mention and therefore want it, BUT i offcially apply for:

- Dialogue writer
- Leader (manager) of the area: Betatester *
- (optional) Quest writer
- (if deisred and provided with enough information) [main story] Quest writer

BTW: for the techtree: it's Altar not Alter. Just to give info :p

* Explanation: You make a lot of closed betas (maybe once to twice for every map) and provide me with the data. If more are applying for beeing beta tester, i will give them the data with detailed information. They send me their reports and i collect/overwork them. At last you get the all ideas/bugs in a list. This makes the reading work easier for you, instead of having about 5 pages with the same bugs :p

Level 15
Well cool project, read everything up there.
I am not sure what kind of lore it is based on, I mean, it's nothing wrong starting with the right and then some custom lore, thats cool, don't misunderstand me. But just FYI it doesn't completely follow lore as it is, and btw, shouldnt the Dalaran Guards/Watchers be High Elfs, not Humans :D

Oh and somewhat a suggestion, don't tell everyone whats going to happen ;) It's fun to discover and be surprised, but you've basiclly told us what's going to happen :D

Well Gl on project, I think it's an awesome idea so far, just need some work. :grin:

Level 10
Gaegamel: you are now:
- Leader of the area: Betatester
- Dialogue writer
- Quest writer

Frostwhisper: the entire backstory of the campaign is that the Lich King is commanding the leader of the Dalaran Survivors. Thats the exact reason they don't head to another city, and instead head to the Icecrown. Just picture Arthas, but in a completely different setting and situation. The entire story will be executed better in the actual campaign.
Revolve: I realise that, but there is also a lot untold.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
True.

Guy 1 - We're in danger, we must flee!
Guy 2 - Ok, let's go to Icecrow, it's a nice place.
Guy 1 - What? Are you crazy? We must go to an forified city, a place were we can defend ourselves!
Guy 2 - No! Icecrow is da best!

/me watches the humans being destroyed

I tottally agree with frostwhisper.

Level 10
To satisfy the arguement about "heading to a reenforced city", I have a logical explanation.
As seen by this map, the violet citadel (Dalaran) is boardered by Lordamere lake. In the campaign, it is implied that you travel across Lordamere lake (Forgotten Dalaran is on the north side of Dalaran) and you even see mission on Lordamere Lake. By the time the group reaches the other side of the lake, most of Lordaeron is taken over by the Undead Scourge. It is unsure of, but the campaign may see a bit of Capital City (in total ruin). Then you head to the Icecrown by force of the Lich King.

Level 11
Lol talk to any decent terrainer, they will say don't use tile walls, use doodads. Unless you need to raise the ground then that's a good excuse. =P But I still cover the walls with the doodads.

Level 10
For the wall statements, I will be searching for walls once I finish with whats currently under progress. If you know of any good walls (other then the UTM Dalaran wall), please tell me and send a link.
There are still jobs open (as Gaegamel said). Betatesters, mappers and alike. Post here or PM me if you are interetsted.

Level 10
Wow, that campaign is good. The walls, however, don't match my setting of Dalaran. I would expect them to be more greyish purple tinted walls., yet not like the Blizzard cliffs.
As for the campaign, other then the lack of replacement walls, the city is nearing the 75% mark. This means that I will get some new screenshots up sometime this week (and no, no new walls, but don't concentrate on the fact that Blizzard walls suck, concentrate on the environment).

Level 10
Ok, the first map is currently about 80-85% done (this includes terrain, dialoug, triggers and such). Screenshots should follow this post shortly on the first post. Right now, one of the things I'm going to start concentrating on is finding a new Dalaran wall (I have been looking, but not as much as I will).
Progress report:
The Forgotten races have to be completed. The new abilities are, however, still in a lower stage then they should be. Testers are of high demand as of now to test out the current version of the first map (remember, I have replaced the need of an introduction interlude with a cinematic based level).
In short, we are hiring:
-Testers
-People to work on races
-People to work with abilities
-Mappers for other levels
-Artists for loading screens (we don't need them, but this is a good way to get your artwork out if you want to join here)

Level 10
Thanks for the link. It may come in handy later.
For those who thought this was dead, it is not. I have been working on the first mission, though it is difficult during the holidays (going places 50% of the time). To alert those who have been asking for new walls, I am trying out some new looks, though I have not picked a final form. An update is expected sometime soon.

Level 3
Help

Hello, Landmine. Long time no see. Your campaign looks awesome, and the storyline is great. First level looks great too. I can help you with coding, ideas, testing, mapping, anything except modeling. But I am also working on my GLA Campaign for C&C Generals. So I will try to invest as much time as I can for your campaign, but like you said, on holidays changing places 50% of the time.:grin:

Last edited:
Level 10
hmm um the title is very misleading, There already is a forgotten in the Warcraft 3 campaign, you know the faceless ones and that large blob. However, the campaign looks great. Good Luck!

Yes I do know about the Faceless Ones. The Forgotten is only the name of that big blob, while the actual collection of creatures are the Faceless Ones.

However, I have updated the first post to give acurate information and to prove that this is not dead (though who knows what page this came from). New screenshots complete with new descriptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.