• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Mini-Contest: Creative Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Flad, azurot, chaos, OG... Gilles? Where's them WIPs at?
- No, really Gilles, make an entry, for me :)
It is almost Easter. I have like half a week off. We shall see.

You guys do remember that I was never actually very good at this, right? If I do anything, I will show you regardless what it may do to my pride.

So this will be my last WIP I'll post before putting down my final entry.
Feel free to C&C, so yeah it's still mehh.
Edit: It's full of mistakes, that's why it looks blehh.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Level 16
Omg Heinvers, those are my models, I am becoming your bride and you have my vote! The only thing I will complain about is the dirt texture, it's too plain, simple and clean - Does not match the rocks!!!
Edit: *Things missing: sun flare, more variations on the tiles, more buildings , more details. I'll wait and see the final version, do that and I am probably voting!

But still I'll have to look at the other entries also... :(

Level 15
It seems like every time I plan on working on it, something comes up that keeps me busy. I am still trying to pull out an entry though. We'll see what happens.

Level 14
I'm curious, what rock models did you use to make those cliffs?

I'm also wondering, I was going to guess Tobyfat's but I'm not sure.

Also I like the statue on the left side, it blends in so well I didn't even see it the first time, it makes it look like it was carved out of the stone.

Level 34
I really don't like the models for those winged beasts, but I can't think of an alternative sadly.

Side note:

Can the previous mini contest be removed from the stickies? Why is it even there?

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I really don't like the models for those winged beasts, but I can't think of an alternative sadly.
Inorite. Probably won't include them in my final.

Most likely my final. One with dragons, one without.

Enjoy.

EDIT: Oh bleh, double post.

Attachments

• TMC Reference (with dragons).png
    TMC Reference (with dragons).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 158
  • TMC Reference.png
    TMC Reference.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 228
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 36
Can the previous mini contest be removed from the stickies? Why is it even there?

You referring to this: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ni-contests-victorious-fladdermasken-222072/??

That's not a mini-contest thread, it's a hall-of-fame for the mini-contest victors,
sort of a track record thingie, I don't know, it was Pharaoh's idea back when we
didn't have a terrain moderator.

I'm not sure the threads sits 100% right with me, so I guess, if people voice for
it to be removed, I could be swayed to desticky it.

Inorite. Probably won't include them in my final.

Most likely my final. One with dragons, one without.

Enjoy.

EDIT: Oh bleh, double post.

If the dragons are using white.blp, why not give them their original texture to make it more lively? The pose, however, is what concerns me the most; unless told, you cannot tell what they are.

The metal parts of the structure in front are overlapping.

Although i realize you made a distortion effect to convey higher depth of field, the tree on the right is not proportional.

You may also want to use the Black Glow model on the posterior part of the rocks, in the middle of the shot. This will hide the unlucky face of the model that's popping out and at the same time add some necessary shadow.

Level 36
Even though I felt discouraged already looking at the level of the competition o.o

A contest like this isn't about wining or losing, it's about improving with the promise of a
thorough review provided by... Me! :) So, if you want my opinions, and you want to
challenge yourself, I urge you to partake, I really do.

Also, for everyone's notice, I'll be setting the deadline now, it's as follows: 16/06/14 (dd/mm/yy)
- Two weeks from now.

Happy terraining!

Level 16
A contest like this isn't about wining or losing, it's about improving with the promise of a
thorough review provided by... Me! :) So, if you want my opinions, and you want to
challenge yourself, I urge you to partake, I really do.

It is not about winning or losing for me either, it is about not being able to meet up to the standard of others.
(I guess I phrase it wrongly,
the "Discouragement" is about me losing confidence of my skills,
looking at the level of talents others have displayed, rather than losing my interest in entering.)

Seems like the deadline is too close, it is impossible for me to partake in this event x)
(I still have exams and assignments to do until then.)

Good luck guys!

WIP 1
View attachment 135876

Idea sorta just popped when I was browsing through the new UTMs. I'll just continue tomorrow since it's pretty late here. But what do you guys think?

I chose the same image flad did and I'm planning some kind of statue to put in place of those dragon thingies.

Well , i guess you're using my TM. Textures looks blurry right now. You must replace that low quality texture to high quality , download the texture here http://xgm.guru/p/wc3/fantasy-environment-cave , it is in the pack.

Also , its too rocky and watery , and the building in the left took half of the camera , must minimize it a bit.

EDIT: too much water? :/
Yes it's a monochrome blue everywhere, that's why it looks so watery right now.

'Vibrant Chaos'

The entry was uploaded at 11:31 PM (or something like that) while the credits and resource handling were finished at 12:34 AM.

Attachments

• MContReff.png
    MContReff.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.