• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Mini-Contest: Creative Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Contest%20Logo.jpg

Description:

As you may see, there's some images attached to this post, what I want you to do is this;
Chose one of the attached images and base your terrain off of it. It doesn't have to be a replica, as long as you keep the composure of the
terrain you can be as creative as you want, the challenge is to make something creative with the restraints that it has to somewhat
resemble the original piece. That may be the atmosphere of the image, or the aesthetics or both, or neither. The one that manages to make
something unique while at the same time keeping a slight resemblance is the one to win.
Good luck!

Rules:
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If a submission does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid any more tears.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • A screenshot showing your final entry.
    • Links to all offsite (not from Hive or WC3C) resources used in the making of the submission.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Imports may be used in the map, provided they can be found in the resource sections of either THW or WC3C.
  • Offsite imports may be used provided a link to the resource is posted with the entry.
  • No image editing tools may be used to enhance the terrain (however you may use them to crop).
  • No submissions may include resources created during the period of the contest.
    • However certain resources might get approved by the contest's host or judge(s).

Awards:

First place gets 25 rep.

Judging:

I'll take care of that.

Deadline:

16/06/14 (dd/mm/yy)

Attachments

• forest_scenery_by_twpictures-d642182.jpg
    forest_scenery_by_twpictures-d642182.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 360
  • Rock_Bridges_by_angrymikko.jpg
    Rock_Bridges_by_angrymikko.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,085
  • scenery_by_anatomista-d4uau51.jpg
    scenery_by_anatomista-d4uau51.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 1,268
  • a_fantasy_scenery_by_fromzerotohero-d54u2to.png
    a_fantasy_scenery_by_fromzerotohero-d54u2to.png
    706.7 KB · Views: 1,196
  • scenery_by_aswinsureshnair-d74frl6.jpg
    scenery_by_aswinsureshnair-d74frl6.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,148
  • scenery_by_henryz.jpg
    scenery_by_henryz.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 563
  • scenery_by_sammael89-d5op59k.jpg
    scenery_by_sammael89-d5op59k.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 251
  • scenery_sketch_by_OAK_Art_Gallery.jpg
    scenery_sketch_by_OAK_Art_Gallery.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,165
  • scenery_try_by_hanci6-d5ybsxd.jpg
    scenery_try_by_hanci6-d5ybsxd.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 275
  • scenery.png
    scenery.png
    422.4 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I may or may not be able to finish this in time (exams >.>) but I'm joining,

133353d1394456943-terraining-mini-contest-creative-challenge-rock_bridges_by_angrymikko.jpg

Level 36
Level 36
Yeah, mini-contests are for fun, I'm not all grumpy old grandpa with anything here, really.
So, we'll likely wait for whenever you can finish before I start judging shit :)

Also, I know this concept kind of resembles
"From a reference to Wc3" but fuck it.

Level 15
I'm gonna do either 6 or 10. But I'm probably going to throw in a giant Pillsbury Dough Boy shooting lasers out of his eyes as my creative addition!

Just kidding. I thought it would be fun to drop my computer on the ground and break the screen. So I've been with out my computer for over a month now. And this one doesn't have Warcraft 3 on it.

So I don't think that I'll be joining this one. But if I was, number 10 would have definitely been my choice.

Regardless, I will be here to give my opinions and advice if anyone needs it. Good luck!

Level 15
Well since you asked so nicely. ;)
So when my comp broke I took the hard drive out and put it into an external hard drive reader. It was as simple as finding Warcraft 3 in the program files and moving it into the program files of this comp. So, time allowing, I am in!
I will be doing the last one.

Level 24
Oh what??,,, man, I'll also want to choose what Stryder pick

Edit: perphaps I change my mind, I'll go with Number #2
Does anybody know were the small waterfall in TKOD (The Kingdom of Kaliron) model found

Here's some WIP's
Not yet finished, no idea on making the open lights
But do tell of improvements

Attachments

• WIP #4.jpg
    WIP #4.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 189
  • WIP #3.jpg
    WIP #3.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 138
  • WIP #2.jpg
    WIP #2.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 134
  • WIP #1.jpg
    WIP #1.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 119
Last edited by a moderator:
And here's my WIP terrain. Had no time until today to start it(shame on me)
- - - - - -
Edit1: I changed the angle a bit, yeah I know it looks bad now.
- - - - - -
I'm lazy so excuse me:/
- - - - - -
This is the terrain I'm doing:
133358d1394456968-terraining-mini-contest-creative-challenge-scenery_sketch_by_oak_art_gallery.jpg

Attachments

• WIP_1.png
    WIP_1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 150
  • WIP2.png
    WIP2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Level 34
The use of rock and root there is awesome. I'm really impressed with that terrain so far. The only comment I would have is that there are reallllyy stretched ground textures at the bottom of the screen shot. I would cover them or try and fix them with the angle of the camera/the heigh variation of the ground.

Level 36
As you gents might have noticed, there's been made a little addition to the rules, mainly the dis-allowance of using resources created during the course of the contest. We've been discussing this matter a little back and forth in the Jury, and we've arrived at the conclusion that we'll keep the rule, with an added by-rule that some resources might be approved by the contest's host or judges, if asked.

As an introduction to this "function" I'll go ahead and sanction the latest additions of doodads to Talavaj's doodad pack, Stone and Sword.

Level 36
No problem there, it's not like you can't use the same reference image.
- He's just going to have to make a better entry ;)

Also, since you asked, Hein, and for anyone that might wonder the same:

There is no official deadline, I'll be very clear on when that is whenever
I decide it for there to be one, until then, just assume there is none.

Level 14
Attached is the WIP, the possible final entry, and the inspiration for the piece.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_032914_172750_01.png
    WC3ScrnShot_032914_172750_01.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 223
  • WC3ScrnShot_033014_103010_01.png
    WC3ScrnShot_033014_103010_01.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 272
  • 133352d1394456943-terraining-mini-contest-creative-challenge-forest_scenery_by_twpictures-d64218.jpg
    133352d1394456943-terraining-mini-contest-creative-challenge-forest_scenery_by_twpictures-d64218.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 674
Work in Progress ....
And FINISH PRODUCT !!!
I will improve this If I want .

2mzomb.png

Sorry, I lost my terraining skill a bit :(

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    839 KB · Views: 153
  • awwq.png
    awwq.png
    722.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 133355d1394456968t-terraining-mini-contest-creative-challenge-scenery_by_aswinsureshnair-d74frl6.jpg
    133355d1394456968t-terraining-mini-contest-creative-challenge-scenery_by_aswinsureshnair-d74frl6.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 330
  • Grassland.png
    Grassland.png
    816.4 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Level 14
Work in Progress ....
And FINISH PRODUCT !!!
I will improve this If I want .
I think there's a lot that you could do with that sky. I'd suggest experimenting a little more with glows and try and incorporate them with the uberclouds - which, by the way, shouldn't ever really have a coloration higher than something like 25/25/25, often lower - as you shouldn't try and have the clouds the color that you want in the end, instead, you want to get them to that color with smart placement of glows. Of course, the glows should be large enough that you can't really tell that they're circular lights, but still small enough that they don't drown the whole picture in colors.

Also, staying with the sky, the sun shouldn't be a collection of single-colored glow models. Instead it should consist of one brightly colored, small, glow centered at the point of origin with progressively larger and dulled glows expanding from that point. A good way of doing this progressive "bloom" is by using small glows that are closer to the camera and very dully colored so you can place as many as you want to get the desired effect.

Also, you could lighten up the fog a tad and make it more greenish.

As for the grass, river rushes are terrible, but can be used somewhat effectively. But to do so, it's best to use three to four slightly different shades of them (i.e. one variation having 125/155/125 and another having 115/135/105) and then mixing them together as the you see fit, rather than trying to use different grass models to get the desired coloration and ultimately disrupting the otherwise smooth flow of pixelated grass stems. Basically, if you're going to use grass that's crap, don't bring more crap into the mix.

I think there's a lot that you could do with that sky. I'd suggest experimenting a little more with glows and try and incorporate them with the uberclouds - which, by the way, shouldn't ever really have a coloration higher than something like 25/25/25, often lower - as you shouldn't try and have the clouds the color that you want in the end, instead, you want to get them to that color with smart placement of glows. Of course, the glows should be large enough that you can't really tell that they're circular lights, but still small enough that they don't drown the whole picture in colors.

Also, staying with the sky, the sun shouldn't be a collection of single-colored glow models. Instead it should consist of one brightly colored, small, glow centered at the point of origin with progressively larger and dulled glows expanding from that point. A good way of doing this progressive "bloom" is by using small glows that are closer to the camera and very dully colored so you can place as many as you want to get the desired effect.

Also, you could lighten up the fog a tad and make it more greenish.

As for the grass, river rushes are terrible, but can be used somewhat effectively. But to do so, it's best to use three to four slightly different shades of them (i.e. one variation having 125/155/125 and another having 115/135/105) and then mixing them together as the you see fit, rather than trying to use different grass models to get the desired coloration and ultimately disrupting the otherwise smooth flow of pixelated grass stems. Basically, if you're going to use grass that's crap, don't bring more crap into the mix.

Wait, I will update this .
My terraining skills was partially lost because of the long time that I stopped, because of the problem of my computer. Almost a month that I didn't use it .
The hard disk replaced, and all the files are lost (especially my terraining doodad models) .

@Contest admin .

Sir, Can I put another objects for my terrain, for example a "people" standing on the water ?

Level 11
Attached is the WIP, the possible final entry, and the inspiration for the piece.

Thats one darn beautiful terrain. Everything fits perfectly. The bees really add a sense of movement to the picture and oh! love the way the light falls.

Edit: I uglyfied the terrain a bit:)

Go ahead man, finish it. Its looking good. Honest. I will advise using a light colored dirt tile to make those rocks contrast.

Status
Not open for further replies.