• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #5 ~ The Voting Process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they are all actually Ralle.

nope:

I think all the current administrators are Archian, enjoy, Ghan_04, Hakeem, and Rui. Some other people may be capable of modifying the news. I usually poked Pyrite to do stuff for me, but he's retired now :,(

Anyway, that's weird, 'cause its pretty damn important for contests.

Level 17
Reviews

HOUSES!!!!
SHOP!!!!!
<3
LUMBERMILL !!!
NAMES OF UNITS!!!
Very fitting and unique abillities xD
2 heros XD!!!! 3 would be nicer. Buts its better than 1 xO i haz choices
Tiers replaced for certain upgrades xD
Epic looking units
Some unique abillities
Dislikes:
Generic abillities :(
+6 armour max is abit strong. xD
1 tier :(

Gameplay 9/10
Balance 8/10 Verybalanced all though Archers take an age eto build :(
The legion 7/10 New ideas appear each time i play them xD
Originalliy 7/10 Uses human tech tree, human base style system of unitary. Although this is balanced by some unique abillities and units.
xD
Appearance 10/10 All fits together looks really nice. Could almost be a roleplay race xD very visually appealling me likey
32/40 Very good job indeed

The Anti Blademaster and harrass invis abillity with sentry ward
The power station system xD
Custom Models
horrors = lol
Flying succubi and various ideas xD

Dislike
Only 1 hero
Pretty much insta rush with the mana idea. Since i can spawn between 5-9 units at once. From 1 barracks o_O
Insta rebuild on my armies= Insta win too xD
Cheap yet unbalanced units. I have 5 units in 2mins by the time my opponent has 2 xD
Lack of decent abillities for the hero
Spy bots retarded path movement is annoying
LACK OF A SHOP WHERE OT PURCHASE ITEMS FROM :(
again complete lack of balance is really saddening

So heres my results
Gameplay 6/10 Fun with new ideas, A spam race not many tactics involved or any combinations. There is a mass use of draing energy to make enemy heros useless and and a mass spam of other melee units to wipe there army pretty much it.
Not many units come into play
Balance 3/10 Shockingly balanced
The Legion 4/10 Repetitive no knew ideas can be added in tactics.
Originallity 9/10 Highly original but some spells from basic wc3 ideas,
Appearance 7/10 Nice overall but bulky and armys looks out of place together xD. Not that appealing due to High structure size and general spam either. clogs up base alot xD
Total 23/40

Last edited:
Level 35
The LegionAre the roles of the warriors shared in a flat manner, are they getting too repetitive or each of them plays a unique and significant role in the battlegrounds?/10

Just felt the point of this was missed. Legion didn't mean whether or not the ideas were new or not, but how the units fit together.

Not sure about the 'complete lack of balance', as a lot of people can generally spam a single unit against an enemy.
I am a little confused by your 'instarush' idea, as you cannot get these units straight up and it has the same effect as constantly producing units, due to unit costs and all of that.
The instarebuild is an idea implemented by Zerg, incidentally.
But what I think would be unbalanced would be the Mobile Generators, as they end up making the mana regen go from 3 per second to 8 XD

But with the 3 mana regen per second, you cannot get a unit any faster than you normally would, as I calculated this, and the idea is that while you can get units instantly from the buildings after storing a certain amount of mana, if the enemy destroys the generators powering your demon gate, what happens then? it might supply block you, but more importantly will make you unable to produce more units until you get another generator :3

Anywho, thanks for the reviews, hope to see more

Level 17
Wazz it actually says if the game is getting repetitive or not. xD, less of lack of balance and more of lack or variation xD thats why i marked it down. A race should be open to multiple different tactics. Yours had 1. Spam shit. Thats what i judged upon. Its the same thing as what you have said in different words.
I felt units did not have uniqute roles, and in this race there were only 3 usuable units excluding hero
Any unit with high range dmg go here+Melee units +Mana drainer=Insta win xO
I did try using Sky barrage etc, but they proved to be tactically useless. I can't think of much else really. The spell casters didn't seem to appealing. Especially since of wood cost, for lack of usage.

The hero's abillities were okay. I Find the heal sleep kinda lol xD good when retreating and regrouping. The Command aura was a bit strong considering the high dmg of ur units. While the stat gainers temp was kinda usefull if used right for a bit more mana regen or something xO.
Usually you should have some range and some melee which are good, and some spell casters for buff.

But with your mana drainers, who did nothing and i could just use them to nullify any hero mixed with my spam high dmg units with 30% increase= wTf

Its not even like i could try a different tactic as the race had only 2-3 units which worked rest were awfull. I.E Sky barrage which does nothing can transport but thats pretty much it.

Also yeh you can get a unit faster than you normally would. Its like your constantly producing units every second without having to spend the gold. So when it comes to it u have them insta. Basically while fighting huge battles your opponent will not be able to use all his barracks at once without micro much but then that risks the battle slightly.

While i just sit there even if i loose i retreat a bit and ihave my army again. xD

Also was always wondering if the Mana units could transfer to barracks. Never tried though only ever used on hero and to null enemy heros xD

Zerg isnt insta build :L Its limited build :(

Well at least it looks like you put a lot of effort into it, and the asthetics were okay xD
And i really do like some of the abillities. Its just there isnt much for gameplay variation.

Also as a suggestion, WOOD COSTS to high. :( Be having 55 wood for 1 spell caster= i need 999999 workers =D.
I like the heretic idea though hes quite cool, and u have a lot of good points in the map.

Level 35
no, it doesn't say if the game is getting repetitive or not, that's where i was confused

it actually says whether the unit roles are repetitive (for example, having more than one unit fulfilling the same role), as i quoted

there are some melee and some range which is where i'm getting a little confused

isn't 'spamming shit' the majority of what rts breaks down to? getting more units than the other player? i hear doing that can win most games

not all spellcasters buff stats, they provide spells which benefit your army or disrupt the enemy army
if we have a look at the heretic, there is a spell for detection (just like the Troll Witch Doctor), followed up with a spell to heal mechanical units and buildings while boosting their armour temporarily, finishing off with an anti-caster spell that makes it difficult for the other army to cast spells

as for the incubus (which I'm having a bit of difficulty remembering), there was the Thorns spell thing that added a Spiked Shell type of effect to a target unit temporarily (which is a buff). There was also Stimpack, which could be used on enemy or allied units, boosting their health to 100% instantly but causing them to lose health over time. But I forgot what the other ability was for them.

The hero's aura only boosts melee attacks as far as i'm aware, and the stats aren't any different to that of Trueshot Aura, only that this one is for melee units while Trueshot Aura is for ranged units

Sky Barge can attack buildings with a siege attack
The same could be said for any siege unit, really, but I'm sensing a lack of imagination in how to use these units

Imagine having a siege unit you can bring up the rear of an enemy base, for example, and do hit and run with from the skies. Additionally, you can drop some units in to do a bit of poking and prodding.

Then there's the Hellions (which I think are one unit you liked), that can do drops at any time you desire behind an enemy army.

Brutes were designed to be tanks, where they hold units up. Their ability to slow enemy units on attack makes them more effective in this role.

Fiends cause massive damage at range, and can be upgraded with a Chaos attack type to tear through enemy units.

Phase Tanks can turn invisible, allowing them to ambush enemy units at the cost of some extra shielding.

Hellhounds were fast attack but not much else (can't really use them for much other than that, they're a simple unit to use, sort of like the Knight).

Mobile Generators are there to benefit mechanical units in the race as well as buildings, basically serving as the perfect utility unit.

Horrors are for the obvious busting open units which are too close together and causing your army problems.

If you have any other questions regarding unit roles, I will try to answer as best I can, but it has been a while since I've looked at the race so I'll need to refresh my memory :)

Level 17
Sky barges are too big ungainly and do not hit and run well. They are also quite slow. Although they can drop of units, the tactics for them are the same as a zeppelin its not anti air just owns them and there useless.

By THE LEGION even if that was so, I consider your race to have 4 units for attacking with

Brute+Succubi+The Demon guy (With Doomlord model)+The cannon demon guy.
And maybe the siege range guy. But the rest are useless. There is hardly even a need for a dispell person as i can just sap there units mana with your mana sappers then use it to power my army even more. The melee units are overpowered for cheap price, and since i was wining and had 3k gold spare 100 food usage 3 gold mines. I think it was blatantly obvious i could just set up 10 or so barracks outside the enemy base, and insta spawn to replenish. And this was against somone i usually loose to o_O.

Not to mention as i said at the start there are issues where i have 5 units when they have 2 and can just rush in and take 1 expo by the time they start creeping.

I found hellhounds a waste of space, Brutes were better, and fast attack is useless if they insta die.

The Demon range guy with cannons (Fiend probably) Just tears through units>

Horrors i like the idea, but took alot of time to build, and they were easilly aimed. Easier would be a goblin shop insta build mercs and same effect.

Phase tanks i don't see as usefull. They should either become a unit like say a mortar, although this is already filled or like a Knight unit. At the moment there role is hazy to me as they are useless vs units and have a high cost for there relatively slow ambling approach.

Mobile generators just disable everything o_O They like a void. Too overpowered
Also there abillity needs hotkeys :L

It seems you were confused with some roles. There were 2 range units with a mortar like range but one deals stupidally high dmg to units another stupidally high dmg to buildings. Its a bit on the stupid side of imbalanceed. As with Brutes able to tank slow and make an army effectively useless. Range high uber dmg have easy tearing away abillity. The whole idea of mortar was siege dmg= Lower on units and 2 they were easilly aimed.

But i dunno thats what i thought xD

I think you had good idea's but some mixed good-bad implementation. It felt very blocked up/Crowded unit and space wise. And idea's were in a very mashed up way. Basically there was too many idea's and units for once race in the map. Making it crowded and uncomfortable to play.

Tip for next time i think if you before making a tech tree race. Planned out a few idea's work on them really well. Test then move onto the next few ideas.

As for what it seems was very abrupt and most units were useless and took up space since they had very ranged abillity.

The point is each unit should have an idea. xD instead of mixed. And they should fit together.

I just didn't feel the units fitted together very well.
Try having units in power only with synergy with other units. Instead of units having such a wide scope and range.

What brought it down was the over eagerness on each unit. Instead of as the race as a whole

Level 35
I observe you say you only use 4 units, and maybe a 5th one, none of which are the mana sappers. So in other words you do need the others?

And all the same, there are negative effects that can be put on your units regardless of having mana sappers, and people can focus fire them down (they are quite expensive and annoying to lose).

Setting up 10 Barracks would require 10 Power Generators for them all to be constantly producing units. If your friend was any good he'd scout this out. If he knew the race at all he would focus down the Power Generators, as this would halt production. I somehow feel that regardless of whether or not he normally beats you, he might not be that great of a player.

The ability doesn't have a hotkey? That sounds odd, maybe I didn't set it up properly :3

Oh I see you're a little confused with the Phase Tank. The Phase Tank doesn't have Mortar range, it's closer range, about 600 or 500? The Fiend, however has over 1000 range, which is that of the Mortar.

With the Phase Tank having such a close range for a ranged siege unit, I figured I had to come up with some different types of units (as there's usually a melee siege unit, and a artillery unit).

But yes I do agree with you that some units probably aren't a complete necessity, but do you know how many people whinge about making a campaign race? Wish I could have just made a campaign race, but a lot of people downgrade that, which is quite irritating :p

It was a weird position I found myself in where a lot of units were incredibly versatile, such as a simple addition to the early ranged unit (which I felt making it short range would compensate for, as all other tier 1 ranged units could attack air but had a longer range while doing it).

However, there was no overly high damage on units, as I did calculate dps. The Fiend may have been a little too cheap if it only cost 3 Food though, as I did find that played very well in its role, especially with Chaos damage :3

But yeah glad you played it =D

Level 7
my second attempt at voting

" ]
concept 4/5 well,it was a Drow race, the graphics were all really good almost everything fit together, i personally don't see Drow and hydra's going together but...
balance 2/5 your races units were weak, but could become strong after using the arena, and hydra's were way to powerful, with that attack speed bonus
fun 8/10,, the arena was a really cool concept, and was a lot of fun to mess around with, your walls were good too, but that purple interface was just tooo .. purple
legion 4/5 in my opinion hydra's don't fit with Drow.
18/25

concept 4/5 it was an interesting idea
balance 5/5 the units were fairly balanced
fun 4/10 I did not find it as fun as some of the other races
legion 3/5 some of the units did not seem to fit together.
16/25

concept 5/5 I liked this idea
balance 0/5 um after spending 15 minutes messing around i was able to destroy the computer on insane...
fun 10/10 this race is alot of fun to play, i love your hero, every thing looks good.
legion 5/5 everything fits together well
20/25

Narogog's entry [Rating withheld]

concept 5/5 liked how you had things spawn then jointogerther to create units
balance 0/5 your race was unbalanced
fun 4/10 while wiping the enemy army with a few tier one fighting units is fun, it also gets boring.
legion 4/5 things seemed to fit together pretty well...
13/25

concept 4/5 nice ideas, it was a little bit reminiscent of Starcraft,
balance 5/5 your race was well balanced,
fun 6/10, it's gameplay was basically like Warcraft three besides your nice building idea.
legion 3/5 all the units seemed to go with the theme pretty well, you could build 3 of one type of hero.
19/25

concept 3/5well they were techno demons, however i liked your idea of using mana for unit construction and the power plants were pretty cool
balance 5/5 your race was balanced
fun 5/10, at first they were fun to play, but they had no special twists in their gameplay.
legion 4/5 the units mostly fit the concept and they had clearly defined roles, it would have made your race fit the techno demon theme better if the brutes had plasma axes instead of metal ones.
19/25

concept 4/5 i liked the idea, your castle was good, the home country reinforcements were pretty cool too, and i liked the mobeus witches.
balance 2/5 units were too powerful
fun 7/10 alot of the units were fun too play, but it was too easy to win using just your first soldier.
legion 4/5 your race didn't seem too quite fit together graphically.
17/25

has anyone made a map which puts all the races together yet?

Level 1
I fucking love Kams entry, his is the best in the entire world, far better than wazzz's

I believe that after talking with Kam on an IM that his is perfect, and deserves a full 25/25

interesting how you assume it's an alternate account or that i indeed asked him to do this.

i can smell the butthurt from here.

i don't think it's that hard to believe that someone liked my race. it's not like i had free units or infinite armies or something stupid like that.

I never mentioned you or any entry? I was pointing out how it was an obvious violation. Let it go.

Level 35
I'M hurting the integrity?

YOU'RE the one talking to people in IM to try and get more votes

YOU'RE the one who saw a rating about your race and kept arguing despite the fact i'm not the only one who thinks your race lacks balance

if anyone is 'ruining the integrity of the website' or 'hurting this competition', it would be you

Level 1
I would like to withdraw my vote for wazz's, and just remain with kam's, after speaking over msn more, I feel that I must remove my confidence in wazz due to being friends with kam

I too recede my vote for Wazzz. He failed to bribe me at an appropriate time, and when I told him this, he mistruthfully claimed to have originally given me rep.

How deceitful and immoral, LYING to a JUDGE about whether he bribed me or not?!

On a serious note, I am 2/3 finished with judging. Dunno about Wraithling. Again, sorry for the wait! School is an arse :(

I dislike this new voting layout. Honestly, let the public vote as they wish. After all, it's just a bit of fun.

Level 35
I personally think this voting layout is a step in the right direction, but would prefer to nullify public voting, and just get more judges.

To help with that idea I will offer my services as a judge for the next techtree contest. It will also allow some new users, such as noob, enter the contest.

You're acting like these contests actually matter. After all, they are only for some fun and friendly competition, and you're reward is little pixels of variously coloured gems on a Wc3 modding forum. (this doesn't mean you shouldn't take it seriously, or send in troll entries..I'm pretty sure you're gonna rebutt with something along those lines)

Duh, obviously you want that reward, which is why you entered.

But that's what I'm saying, why must we treat contests like elitist fascist sexist pus-filled-cyst competitions (by blocking off public votes, and enforcing voters to comment with some shitty layout), just so a few dudes can get some totally meaningless and just for fun award? Besides, you already have judges to do the srs bsns, and users can still reply with good feedback if they wish.

Level 35
but that's the point, we can have the public posting their feedback, i don't discourage that at all, it's just including their votes makes it a popularity contest which isn't really fun at all (least of all when people are trying to abide by the guidelines which end up meaning very little to most people)

for example, i'm assuming contestants can't vote, yet some of us have put our feedback just for entertainment purposes

which reminds me, i should probably finish my reviews at some point

Level 7
I like wazz's entry most, he deserves to win
I believe asking friends to influence the voting process is grounds for disqualification.
I fucking love Kams entry, his is the best in the entire world, far better than wazzz's
I would like to withdraw my vote for wazz's, and just remain with kam's, after speaking over msn more, I feel that I must remove my confidence in wazz due to being friends with kam
i dont want to bring it back, but how it got solved? ... imo its really BAD attempt of wazzs bribed friend voting for him and then trying to cover it up :eekani:

Level 17
What really should happen is both this for a fair overview and annonymous voting. I.E we don't know who submitted what untill its uploaded xD, and banning people froma dveritising via Pms etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 16
What happend to this voting?.... Whoever that says Wazzz is telling his friend to vote on him is most likely wrong. I don't think that his friend would vote on him agaisnt the rules cause Wazzz is experienced with contest and i am sure he knows the rules.

Also how can you even be allowed to make such a discussion. This should have been stopped long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.