• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #21 - Creep Warlords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

the%20hive%20workshop.png

texturing.png
contest.png
number.png
2.png
1.png

thwtc21p.png

Creep Warlords
Upgrade a creep unit to a top tier instance of itself.
Further details on what models you can work on and what you can do with them in the rules.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the skin submission rules, the creator will be disqualified.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in-game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • The file(s) in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it is yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Textures must be no larger than 512 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry.
    You may work in 1024 (or higher), but the texture must be resized down to 512 pixels on equal dimension textures when submitted.
  • Your chosen unit must be an existing WCIII model and you may not edit the model in any way.
  • You can not change the race of the chosen unit. You are supposed to upgrade the unit of your choice to a top tier unit.
  • You can not make a skin for a unit whose model is not found under Unit/Creeps in the MPQ and turn it into a creep race.
  • You can not make a skin for a unit that is not found in the Neutral Hostile category of the Object Editor's list of units.

If you are not sure whether your entry can be considered a top tier unit, or otherwise complies with the rules, don't hesitate to ask.
    Better to ask a so-called stupid question than to be disqualified.

prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Open

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Shading
Does the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?/30%

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?/40%

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?/30%
  • 75 % of the points shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the points shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on the 30th of October 2011 and conclude on the 30th of November 2011, 11:59 PM GMT

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I totally got dibs on the Forest Troll!

Level 38
Think I'm gonna find time to join this one.

Personally I'd define a creep as a unit that appears under the Neutral Hostile unit Pallet in the world Editor though, considering several Campaign units with obvious ties to the playable factions are found under the creeps section of the .mpq (night elf warden (non-hero), night elf sentry, high elf archer, Sylvanas, high elf dragonhawk, etc.)

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Think I'm gonna find time to join this one.

Personally I'd define a creep as a unit that appears under the Neutral Hostile unit Pallet in the world Editor though, considering several Campaign units with obvious ties to the playable factions are found under the creeps section of the .mpq (night elf warden (non-hero), night elf sentry, high elf archer, Sylvanas, high elf dragonhawk, etc.)

I thought that would be easiest as well initially, but Dio informed me otherwise. Both have their flaws and I'd rather just go with this than list every unit people are allowed to texture.

Level 38
The issue is that Neutral Hostile also includes demons, even though they have a different tab in the MPQs.

Demons only play the roll of creeps in WC3 though. And their species can't be changed by the prompt, which only leaves the demoness, fel guard, fel hound, doom guard, and infernal as demonic units that are creeps. Satyr and Faceless are basically demons to, and their still classified as standard creeps. If demons is to much of a problem (considering there were 2 demon-themed contests already) than I'd say omit them from the pool of available models, but including campaign units strikes me as more of an issue. Nothing about the High Elf Archer really says creep, and yet she is under Units\Creeps\HighElfArcher\HighElfArcher.

Level 25
I'm definitely joining this. I'll be doing a centaur, I think.

EDIT: Dang it, there's no reason doing a centaur, when Redshift already made an awesome one, that could easily serve as a warlord. So... I guess I'ma do Furbolg instead.

Last edited:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Solidified the rules and adjusted them to rule out campaign units.

.. and please, guys, don't try to find loopholes, I'm sure you all understand what this is about because it really couldn't be simpler.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Of course it should, but we have nobody whose job is to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Magnataur. At least that's what he said. Glad you didn't go for Faceless One, Ampharos. You already did too many of those.

[*]You can not change the race of the chosen unit. You are supposed to upgrade the unit of your choice to a top tier unit.

[*]You can not make a skin for a unit whose model is not found under Unit/Creeps in the MPQ and turn it into a creep race.

Meh.

If the contest would be extended into December I could join, don't have any time until the chirstmas holidays. Or would there be another contest by that time?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I think Pyritie should be. Just a guess. Whoever should?
No, Pyritie resigned from his position as Arena Moderator (and thus ceased to be the one responsible for notices) a while ago. The structure of the site makes it difficult to just assign the responsibility to another moderator.

If you're referring to basically saying the same thing twice in the rules; it's because I'm sick and tired of people (intentionally) finding loopholes in the rules. I feel I need to reiterate the same rule over and over so I won't have to tell people they can't do this and can't do that long after the contest started. So far, I've had just as many questions as I usually get, so it's obviously not clear enough yet.

If you're referring to the inherent restriction to what you can do because of this rule, well, creating something original with much restriction is a different skill than just being creative. I feel that after such an open theme as the last contest, it was time to have a really tight theme.

If the contest would be extended into December I could join, don't have any time until the chirstmas holidays. Or would there be another contest by that time?
I do not intend to push the deadline of the contest. Depending on how long judging will take, there may be another contest up by the end of December. It seems to be a trend that judging takes at least one month, though, so it will probably not start until January. I do aim to keep the contest rolling continually, though, so if judges are quick after this one, another may start before the end of the year. I will do a two week public voting for this contest, so the earliest possible start date for the next contest is 14th, but seeing as my exams are around that time, I'd say 17th is the earliest.

That is just badass as hell! It certainly has a warlord feeling to it.

Thanks mate! I really appreciate :p

@Mr.Goblin, looking lovely! I didn't expect you to join this one. :D

Thanks mate. and I was kinda forced to :p, with shiik and Dio on my pack, with a private message of 67chrome telling me I should clearly join :p

so yeeeaaah..

I felt like joining XD

Mr.Goblin you should definitely work on those fangs coming out of the mouth, but I can tell it's really going great :) Love the metal jaw :X

Hehe I agree, I'm still trying to figer out the warp on this part of the model D: Blizzard warp are sometimes nightmarish.. XD

Just a dumb question: What exactly does top tier unit want to mean ? Like from the neutral hostile troll to the troll warlord ? Like that ? I'm a bit confused...

Well, just like the title says.. you have to texture : what would be the ''highest level'' of this creep faction you want to retexture.

Just like Upgrades with their Icons.

Tier 1 = Basic Unit/armor
sww8j4.jpg
x40vpv.jpg

Tier 2 = Trained unit/good armor
xc80gl.jpg
2qwfrl5.jpg

Tier 3 = Skilled unit/Epic armor
2vj8wuh.jpg
2l84t1.jpg

Most creep of warcraft3 already have 3 Tiers why I understand your confusion, but than just make a Tier 4 :D

Joining contest..

Bring it.... :D

EDIT = Newest WIP

Still need to find an idea for the TC part on the arms and legs... and to fix the teeth warp and probably play around with the skin abit too :D

Attachments

• Sans titre-1.png
    Sans titre-1.png
    633.2 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.