• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #4 - Improved Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Another contestant drops out :( Hope you still get to finish it outside the contest Silly Lil Ant

Anyway I've updated my submission to version 2. I've just steamrolled through a test game, so I think its now even more OP than the original version. If you find the race hard to play, then perhaps you aren't utilizing the strengths of the race right. Feel free to ask me about my race or give feedback :)

Level 16
This is what i'm using:

[trigger=heroes limit]MyTrigger
Events
Conditions
Actions
Set PlayerGroupHumans = (All players matching ((((Matching player) controller) Equal to User) and (((Matching player) slot status) Equal to Is playing)))
Player Group - Pick every player in PlayerGroupHumans and do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
Player - Limit training of Hero1 to 1 for (Picked player)
Player - Limit training of Hero2 to 1 for (Picked player)
Player - Limit training of Hero3 to 1 for (Picked player)
[/trigger]

Attachments

• GhosT's Naga .2.w3x
    2.7 MB · Views: 67
Level 8
warning: possible ranting ahead

That deadline is approaching fast! I seriously underestimated how much time one can tinker.. I am quite done with the basics, but not nearly done with details. Stuff like good icons, making spells work like they're supposed to, fixing ugly stuff in models etc. Lol, I haven't even gotten my townhall to entangle a goldmine yet..

The most dangerous are the 'simple' spell ideas: Like 'Unit begins casting frost arrows, do actions' doesn't work. Auto-targeting both friends ánd enemies: Just change the 'targets allowed' field? Offcourse not. And what IS the activate parasite command action (it's not in the damn list!). It's not that there are no solutions, it's just that an elegant workaround cost so much time..

I'll soldier on an post a 'playable' (crossing fingers) version soon. But I could seriously use some time to shave the rough edges of the map.

Level 38
Yea, making a race takes a lot of time, all the tooltips, abilities, units, buildings, figuring out how to get work-arounds to work... I still have to refine the triggered bits for about a third of my abilities and in general tie loose ends and polish the race overall. I kind of want to set up a uniform build animation for all my buildings like I did with my last race (wc3c contest), not sure if I'll have time for that though.

Level 8
^^ Tried?! I dó intend to submit (well atleast) something, you know =P And I need to order a unit to activate autocasting parasite. I guess there must be a custom script for that somewhere, but it's not that i'm bathing in time to go and find out =P. Anyways, good to know i'm not the only one with a shortage of time, good luck on the hero-skills. Took me long enough, that's for sure :p

Level 38
@ GhostThruster: there coming along O.K, I might end up removing a few things I can't get to work before submitting it though.

@ Sage Chow: Are you talking about the thingy that causes units to have an ability be auto-casting when they're produced? The siren should have that with parasite on, just highlight the her field with it on and copy it, then select the field for the unit you need it on and paste it their. I'm using parasite for my charge ability, and got it to be auto-casting without having to set it to auto-cast. Hopefully that helps :/

-Edit: Nevermind, you're talking about the issue order with no target thing right? Because turn on/off parasite totally isn't in there like turning on/off other auto-cast abilities.

Didn't realize this before, but apparently if you check the attack speed and movement speed stacking options with slow poison the slows stack based on the number of units with slow poison attacking the same target. I guess that is in there with damage so that the damage over time isn't negated when multiple dryads are targeting the same unit (as their damage stacks).

Last edited:
Level 8
@67Chrome: Thanks! But it's a bit more complicated than that. The ability casts a speed boost on ancients (bloodlust) and slows enemy non ancients with a chance to spawn destructable plants (parasite).

To have it auto-targeting both allies and enemies I apply a trick:
- On the first right click the spell auto-targets allies. A trigger increases the level of bloodlust to target only ancients/allies and orders the unit to activate autocast of the level ability.
- On the second right click bloodlust swaps to parasite so the spell targets enemy units.

The only thing that appears to change to the player is the tooltip: right click to auto-target allied units/enemy units/turn off autocast. The problem is that I need to set parasite on autocast immediatly or it will look really lame. There is a GUI tool: order unit to activate bloodlust, but it doesn't appear for parasite.

Level 16
My W.I.P the buildings are unfinished, no upgrades, lacking of heroes and 3 unit spells. Status of the map from friday.

Attachments

• (8)PlainsOfSnow-High Elfs.w3x
    2.5 MB · Views: 122
Level 35
Oh, I just read now as I finish my race that there's an extension? Meh, I don't want to work on mine any more =)

Here it is, in ALL. IT'S. GLORY.

Simple race with simple ideas and abilities, wanted to make it just like a campaign race and so people can have fun playing with it :3

EDIT: Looks like I forgot something very simple in the edit, going to submit again. Thankyou Wraithling for pointing that out for me =)

Attachments

• (8)PlainsOfSnow - Evil Humans.w3x
    243.4 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Level 16
God bless pharaoh_ THANKS!
EDIT: I found something i must know the contest ends at 11:59 12th february , right? AM or PM ??

Level 13
Woot! This should give me enough time to set up universal build animations and add fire effects to damaged buildings made from doodads. Excellent.

Wow :O

@ Wazz i think that no build time is pretty unfair , u can just build 20 barracks and make armys within 2 seconds :O

Level 35
@Malcous: Ah good, you played my race =)
Hope you enjoyed it, wanted to make a race more like the campaign Naga one (as there are no rules saying I cannot :p)
But as for the 'no build times', there is, of course, the stock replenish intervals. But yea, I see how it can be unfair in the lategame.
How did you like the rest of the race, though? =)

Level 7
WIP time! I am making the Forsaken :DD Here are the screens of Ground units, Flying units and Heroes.

Attachments

• Ground units.jpg
    Ground units.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 355
  • Flying units.jpg
    Flying units.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Heroes.jpg
    Heroes.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 157
Status
Not open for further replies.